iPhone .png screenshot import date

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Matti Haveri

iPhone .png screenshot import date

Post by Matti Haveri »

Hi, If I import screenshots from iPhone 5 to iPhoto and then drag the photos to the desktop, the creation & modification dates are preserved. Then I can use GC to rename the files based on those dates (AFAIK there is no EXIF date info in the iPhone .png screenshots). On the other hand, if I use GC 7 or 8 to import the .png screenshots, then the creation & modification date is the time of the import, not the time when the screenshot was taken. And I can't rename the files based on when they were taken. Can GC preserve the original date of the iPhone .png screenshot? danke, - Matti
thorstenlemke

Re: iPhone .png screenshot import date

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Matti,the import function does use Apple Image Capture. Apple Image Capture does not return a correct file date.Thorsten On 24.03.2013, at 22:35, Matti Haveri <matti.haveri@gmail.com> wrote:   Hi, If I import screenshots from iPhone 5 to iPhoto and then drag the photos to the desktop, the creation & modification dates are preserved. Then I can use GC to rename the files based on those dates (AFAIK there is no EXIF date info in the iPhone .png screenshots). On the other hand, if I use GC 7 or 8 to import the .png screenshots, then the creation & modification date is the time of the import, not the time when the screenshot was taken. And I can't rename the files based on when they were taken. Can GC preserve the original date of the iPhone .png screenshot? danke, - Matti
matti

Post by matti »

Hello, Oh, I see. Is Apple aware of the problem? I might myself mail a bug report to Apple about this but I guess they don't much listen complaints from the end-users... danke, - Matti --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > the import function does use Apple Image Capture. Apple Image Capture does not return a correct file date.
matti

Post by matti »

Hello, The "Image Capture.app" in OS X 10.8 does preserve the original iPhone screen capture file dates. Is there a different "Apple Image Capture" protocol that GC uses that can't preserve the dates? ...I use GC to import images from all my cameras except the iPhone. I wasn't somehow even aware GC could do that until I discovered that feature by accident. But those screenshot file dates is a fly in the ointment... danke, - Matti --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > the import function does use Apple Image Capture. Apple Image Capture does not return a correct file date.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,hmm, difficult to say. I use the official available calls. Maybe Apple uses some internal undocumented calls.Thorsten On 25.03.2013, at 11:02, "Matti" <matti.haveri@gmail.com> wrote:   Hello, The "Image Capture.app" in OS X 10.8 does preserve the original iPhone screen capture file dates. Is there a different "Apple Image Capture" protocol that GC uses that can't preserve the dates? ...I use GC to import images from all my cameras except the iPhone. I wasn't somehow even aware GC could do that until I discovered that feature by accident. But those screenshot file dates is a fly in the ointment... danke, - Matti --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > the import function does use Apple Image Capture. Apple Image Capture does not return a correct file date.
Nelsn Helm

physical negative to digital positive?

Post by Nelsn Helm »

I have about 1,200 clear plastic 8.5" x 11" pages of sleeves for 35mm negatives. Assuming I can back-lite and scan the pages, might it possible to invert the scan into positive index pages? Local lab generously offered to do it physically for $5 / page.
Keith Stone

Re: physical negative to digital positive?

Post by Keith Stone »

Most scanners with backlight will do this for you, but you may be advised to get some better scaning software like Vuescan that will make the process less painful. On Mar 25, 2013, at 4:49 PM, Nelsn Helm <helmkyny@clockwinders.net> wrote:   I have about 1,200 clear plastic 8.5" x 11" pages of sleeves for 35mm negatives. Assuming I can back-lite and scan the pages, might it possible to invert the scan into positive index pages? Local lab generously offered to do it physically for $5 / page.
Nelsn Helm

Post by Nelsn Helm »

Vuescan recognizes the scanner and offers only compatible options.I have an all-in-one which will not back-lite scan negatives, and Vuescan does not offer an option to scan negatives.Another scanner back-lites the center of the table, and if you mount two negative strips in the special plastic frame, will scan them..  That's a non-starter. On Mar 25, 2013, at 4:57 PM, Keith Stone <kstone@crewstone.com> wrote:   Most scanners with backlight will do this for you, but you may be advised to get some better scaning software like Vuescan that will make the process less painful.On Mar 25, 2013, at 4:49 PM, Nelsn Helm <helmkyny@clockwinders.net> wrote:   I have about 1,200 clear plastic 8.5" x 11" pages of sleeves for 35mm negatives. Assuming I can back-lite and scan the pages, might it possible to invert the scan into positive index pages? Local lab generously offered to do it physically for $5 / page. _____________________Nelsn Helm4112 Massie Av 3Louisville, KY 40207-2179
Tom Coradeschi

Post by Tom Coradeschi »

At Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:49:50 -0400, Nelsn Helm wrote: > > >I have about 1,200 clear plastic 8. >5" x 11" pages of sleeves for 35mm negatives. >Assuming I can back-lite and scan the pages, might it possible to invert the scan into positive index pages?. > GraphicConverter can do the invert for you, no problem. The challenge will be how to script it or somehow automate the process. Alternatively, it may be cheaper (given that you would shell out 6000 bucks to have your local shop do it for you) to buy a film/negative scanner, or even an all in one which will handle them (my Cannon Pixma MP810 does, for instance). tom coradeschi tcora@skylands.ibmwr.org
Keith Stone

Post by Keith Stone »

Vuescan will certainly scan negatives, I've done hundreds of negatives with it. You can both "batch" the process (I scan up to 30 at a time in a flatbed) and Vuescan will cut them up for you, or you can make contact sheets with the negatives in plastic. For sure, without a backlit scanner you're not going to be able to do much of anything but that's not a problem with Vuescan.I'm using a HP Scanjet G4050 which has frames for negatives, but they aren't a requirement. They do make your job more reliable. You can, as I do, scan negatives when they are still in their sleeves using a backlit scanner and Vuescan. It's just that you are going to get lower quality scans because the sleeves will introduce some reflections and distortion. Fine for a contact sheet, not so good if you're going to blow the resultant picture.Keith On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:01 PM, Nelsn Helm <helmkyny@clockwinders.net> wrote:   Vuescan recognizes the scanner and offers only compatible options.I have an all-in-one which will not back-lite scan negatives, and Vuescan does not offer an option to scan negatives.Another scanner back-lites the center of the table, and if you mount two negative strips in the special plastic frame, will scan them..  That's a non-starter.On Mar 25, 2013, at 4:57 PM, Keith Stone <kstone@crewstone.com> wrote:   Most scanners with backlight will do this for you, but you may be advised to get some better scaning software like Vuescan that will make the process less painful.On Mar 25, 2013, at 4:49 PM, Nelsn Helm <helmkyny@clockwinders.net> wrote:   I have about 1,200 clear plastic 8.5" x 11" pages of sleeves for 35mm negatives. Assuming I can back-lite and scan the pages, might it possible to invert the scan into positive index pages? Local lab generously offered to do it physically for $5 / page. _____________________Nelsn Helm4112 Massie Av 3Louisville, KY 40207-2179