Why can't I get Clear to work?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Nickee Sanders

Why can't I get Clear to work?

Post by Nickee Sanders »

Why can't I get Clear to work? I have been using GC for many years, for very simple tasks.  A few years ago now, the latest version suddenly became a lot more complex and I started having problems doing even the most simple of things.  Such as, selecting part of a picture and having it disappear with the use of the backspace key. I worked around this annoyance by using the eraser tool (with some residual annoyance because it's not as quick to use).  But today I'm trying to clean up a .tiff file, and when I click the eraser tool I get the checkerboard pattern which I assume is telling me it's using the transparent colour.  I don't know why this would be so, since the file is newly-opened in GC and to my knowledge doesn't yet have a transparent colour defined.  I don't want the transparent colour, I want the eraser's colour!  If I double-click on the transparent tool I see "Selected Color" which is black (the eraser's colour is white), and the Make Color Transparent checkbox is off. I have looked through the manual and searched the web, to no avail.  I must be stupid because no-one else seems to have this problem.  But, please, how do I select part of a picture and make it disappear? GC version 6.0.1 on Mac OS 10.6.8, by the way.  And yes, I know there are later GC versions out there, but I'm finding this one so annoying that I don't want to upgrade!  If I could downgrade, I would. Many TIA for any help!
thorstenlemke

Re: Why can't I get Clear to work?

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, did you maybe import the image with an alpha channel? Simple go to picture/alpha channel/ and select remove. Thorsten On 02.04.2013, at 21:58, Nickee Sanders <njsanders@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > > I have been using GC for many years, for very simple tasks. A few years ago now, the latest version suddenly became a lot more complex and I started having problems doing even the most simple of things. Such as, selecting part of a picture and having it disappear with the use of the backspace key. > > I worked around this annoyance by using the eraser tool (with some residual annoyance because it's not as quick to use). But today I'm trying to clean up a .tiff file, and when I click the eraser tool I get the checkerboard pattern which I assume is telling me it's using the transparent colour. I don't know why this would be so, since the file is newly-opened in GC and to my knowledge doesn't yet have a transparent colour defined. I don't want the transparent colour, I want the eraser's colour! If I double-click on the transparent tool I see "Selected Color" which is black (the eraser's colour is white), and the Make Color Transparent checkbox is off. > > I have looked through the manual and searched the web, to no avail. I must be stupid because no-one else seems to have this problem. But, please, how do I select part of a picture and make it disappear? > > GC version 6.0.1 on Mac OS 10.6.8, by the way. And yes, I know there are later GC versions out there, but I'm finding this one so annoying that I don't want to upgrade! If I could downgrade, I would. > > Many TIA for any help!
Nickee Sanders

Post by Nickee Sanders »

Hi Thorsten, Sorry for the delay in responding...I had set my yahoo prefs to send me all emails as received in the group but for some reason this isn't happening. I have tried opening the file and doing what you said. Unfortunately clear and backspace still don't seem to have any effect :-( The eraser tool now works, which is an improvement. But I would love to know how to get clear/backspace to work! By the way the image is a screenshot, taken with Grab, if that makes any difference. As noted below, it's in tiff format. TIA >Hello, > >did you maybe import the image with an alpha channel? Simple go to >picture/alpha >channel/ and select remove. > >Thorsten > >On 02.04.2013, at 21:58, Nickee Sanders <njsanders@...> wrote: > > > > > I have been using GC for many years, for very simple tasks. A few years ago >now, the latest version suddenly became a lot more complex and I >started having >problems doing even the most simple of things. Such as, selecting part of a >picture and having it disappear with the use of the backspace key. > > > > I worked around this annoyance by using the eraser tool (with some residual >annoyance because it's not as quick to use). But today I'm trying to >clean up a >.tiff file, and when I click the eraser tool I get the checkerboard pattern >which I assume is telling me it's using the transparent colour. I don't know >why this would be so, since the file is newly-opened in GC and to my knowledge >doesn't yet have a transparent colour defined. I don't want the transparent >colour, I want the eraser's colour! If I double-click on the >transparent tool I >see "Selected Color" which is black (the eraser's colour is white), >and the Make >Color Transparent checkbox is off. > > > > I have looked through the manual and searched the web, to no >avail. I must be >stupid because no-one else seems to have this problem. But, please, how do I >select part of a picture and make it disappear? > > > > GC version 6.0.1 on Mac OS 10.6.8, by the way. And yes, I know there are >later GC versions out there, but I'm finding this one so annoying that I don't >want to upgrade! If I could downgrade, I would. > > > > Many TIA for any help!
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,I attached a short movie.Thorsten
David L. Wasley

Post by David L. Wasley »

The delete key works for me, as Thorston said.Have you tried (command)-X  ?   David On Apr 5, 2013, at 9:00 PM, Nickee Sanders wrote:   Hi Thorsten, Sorry for the delay in responding...I had set my yahoo prefs to send me all emails as received in the group but for some reason this isn't happening. I have tried opening the file and doing what you said. Unfortunately clear and backspace still don't seem to have any effect :-( The eraser tool now works, which is an improvement. But I would love to know how to get clear/backspace to work! By the way the image is a screenshot, taken with Grab, if that makes any difference. As noted below, it's in tiff format. TIA
Nickee Sanders

Re: Why can't I get Clear to work? [1 Attachment]

Post by Nickee Sanders »

Attachments :test.tiffThanks Thorsten, but it still isn't working. I have attached a sample image, made in the same way as the ones I need to edit. I have tried the Clear menu command, the backspace key, and command-X, all of these both before and after Picture->Alpha Channel->Remove Alpha Channel, and nothing works. The picture contains no layers. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong! TIA, >Hi, > >I attached a short movie. > >Thorsten > > >On 06.04.2013, at 06:00, Nickee Sanders <njsanders@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > > > Hi Thorsten, > > > > Sorry for the delay in responding...I had set my yahoo prefs to send > > me all emails as received in the group but for some reason this isn't > > happening. > > > > I have tried opening the file and doing what you said. Unfortunately > > clear and backspace still don't seem to have any effect :-( > > > > The eraser tool now works, which is an improvement. But I would love > > to know how to get clear/backspace to work! > > > > By the way the image is a screenshot, taken with Grab, if that makes > > any difference. As noted below, it's in tiff format. > > > > T > > >Hi, > >I attached a short movie. > >Thorsten > > >Attachment converted: Nickee's >MacBook:GraphicConverterScre#256E0E.mov (MooV/«IC») (00256E0E) > >On 06.04.2013, at 06:00, Nickee Sanders ><<mailto:njsanders@ihug.co.nz>njsanders@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > >Hi Thorsten, > >Sorry for the delay in responding...I had set my yahoo prefs to send >me all emails as received in the group but for some reason this isn't >happening. > >I have tried opening the file and doing what you said. Unfortunately >clear and backspace still don't seem to have any effect :-( > >The eraser tool now works, which is an improvement. But I would love >to know how to get clear/backspace to work! > >By the way the image is a screenshot, taken with Grab, if that makes >any difference. As noted below, it's in tiff format. > >T
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

All I got was an image of a progress bar window??? J --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Nickee Sanders <njsanders@...> wrote: > > Thanks Thorsten, but it still isn't working. I > have attached a sample image, made in the same > way as the ones I need to edit. I have tried the > Clear menu command, the backspace key, and > command-X, all of these both before and after > Picture->Alpha Channel->Remove Alpha Channel, and > nothing works. The picture contains no layers. > I really don't know what I'm doing wrong! > > TIA, > > > >Hi, > > > >I attached a short movie. > > > >Thorsten > > > > > >On 06.04.2013, at 06:00, Nickee Sanders <njsanders@...> wrote: > > > > > Hi Thorsten, > > > > > > Sorry for the delay in responding...I had set my yahoo prefs to send > > > me all emails as received in the group but for some reason this isn't > > > happening. > > > > > > I have tried opening the file and doing what you said. Unfortunately > > > clear and backspace still don't seem to have any effect :-( > > > > > > The eraser tool now works, which is an improvement. But I would love > > > to know how to get clear/backspace to work! > > > > > > By the way the image is a screenshot, taken with Grab, if that makes > > > any difference. As noted below, it's in tiff format. > > > > > > T > > > > > >Hi, > > > >I attached a short movie. > > > >Thorsten > > > > > >Attachment converted: Nickee's > >MacBook:GraphicConverterScre#256E0E.mov (MooV/«IC») (00256E0E) > > > >On 06.04.2013, at 06:00, Nickee Sanders > ><<mailto:njsanders@...>njsanders@...> wrote: > > > >Hi Thorsten, > > > >Sorry for the delay in responding...I had set my yahoo prefs to send > >me all emails as received in the group but for some reason this isn't > >happening. > > > >I have tried opening the file and doing what you said. Unfortunately > >clear and backspace still don't seem to have any effect :-( > > > >The eraser tool now works, which is an improvement. But I would love > >to know how to get clear/backspace to work! > > > >By the way the image is a screenshot, taken with Grab, if that makes > >any difference. As noted below, it's in tiff format. > > > >T >
Nickee Sanders

Post by Nickee Sanders »

Yes, that's the image I sent. I said that it was created in the same way as the ones I want to clean up, i.e. by making a screenshot with Grab and saving as tiff. The image has the same problem as the ones I want to clean up. At 7:46 am +0000 07/04/13, watcombeman wrote: >All I got was an image of a progress bar window??? >J > >--- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Nickee Sanders <njsanders@...> wrote: >> >> Thanks Thorsten, but it still isn't working. I >> have attached a sample image, made in the same >> way as the ones I need to edit. I have tried the >> Clear menu command, the backspace key, and >> command-X, all of these both before and after >> Picture->Alpha Channel->Remove Alpha Channel, and >> nothing works. The picture contains no layers. >> I really don't know what I'm doing wrong! >> >> TIA, >> >> >> >Hi, >> > >> >I attached a short movie. >> > >> >Thorsten >> > >> > >> >On 06.04.2013, at 06:00, Nickee Sanders <njsanders@...> wrote: >> > >> > > Hi Thorsten, >> > > >> > > Sorry for the delay in responding...I had set my yahoo prefs to send >> > > me all emails as received in the group but for some reason this isn't >> > > happening. >> > > >> > > I have tried opening the file and doing what you said. Unfortunately >> > > clear and backspace still don't seem to have any effect :-( >> > > >> > > The eraser tool now works, which is an improvement. But I would love >> > > to know how to get clear/backspace to work! >> > > >> > > By the way the image is a screenshot, taken with Grab, if that makes >> > > any difference. As noted below, it's in tiff format. >> > > >> > > T >> > >> > >> >Hi, >> > >> >I attached a short movie. >> > >> >Thorsten >> > >> > >> >Attachment converted: Nickee's >> >MacBook:GraphicConverterScre#256E0E.mov (MooV/«IC») (00256E0E) >> > >> >On 06.04.2013, at 06:00, Nickee Sanders >> ><<mailto:njsanders@...>njsanders@...> wrote: >> > >> >Hi Thorsten, >> > >> >Sorry for the delay in responding...I had set my yahoo prefs to send >> >me all emails as received in the group but for some reason this isn't >> >happening. >> > >> >I have tried opening the file and doing what you said. Unfortunately >> >clear and backspace still don't seem to have any effect :-( >> > >> >The eraser tool now works, which is an improvement. But I would love >> >to know how to get clear/backspace to work! >> > >> >By the way the image is a screenshot, taken with Grab, if that makes >> >any difference. As noted below, it's in tiff format. >> > >> >T >> > > > > >------------------------------------ > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,what should be erased in the image. The middle is already empty.Thorsten@ihug.co.nz> wrote: Thanks Thorsten, but it still isn't working. I have attached a sample image, made in the same way as the ones I need to edit. I have tried the Clear menu command, the backspace key, and command-X, all of these both before and after Picture->Alpha Channel->Remove Alpha Channel, and nothing works. The picture contains no layers. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong!
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Are you using the Selection Tool to select the area you wish to clear? On Apr 7, 2013, at 6:46 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote: > > > Hello, > > what should be erased in the image. The middle is already empty. > > Thorsten > @ihug.co.nz> wrote: > >> Thanks Thorsten, but it still isn't working. I >> have attached a sample image, made in the same >> way as the ones I need to edit. I have tried the >> Clear menu command, the backspace key, and >> command-X, all of these both before and after >> Picture->Alpha Channel->Remove Alpha Channel, and >> nothing works. The picture contains no layers. >> I really don't know what I'm doing wrong! > > > > Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO