Why can't I get Clear to work?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
David L. Wasley

Re: Why can't I get Clear to work? [1 Attachment]

Post by David L. Wasley »

I can select/delete within your image just fine.  No need to do anything about an Alpha Channel.Perhaps it would help if you described exactly what you do and what happens at each step. DavidOn Apr 6, 2013, at 12:48 PM, Nickee Sanders wrote: Thanks Thorsten, but it still isn't working. I have attached a sample image, made in the same way as the ones I need to edit. I have tried the Clear menu command, the backspace key, and command-X, all of these both before and after Picture->Alpha Channel->Remove Alpha Channel, and nothing works. The picture contains no layers. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong!TIA,
Nickee Sanders

Re: Why can't I get Clear to work?

Post by Nickee Sanders »

Hi David, Robert & Thorsen -- Good idea David. Here's what I am doing: 1. I open the file (i.e. it has no GC history). As mentioned previously, this is a file created by Grab, in tiff format. This file has not been changed since Grab created it. 2. I choose the Selection tool (in the toolbox, second row, on the right, under the hand). 3. I select a random part of the image, since it's only a test image. Perhaps the top left portion, including the "traffic lights" of the progress window. Or maybe even I go command-A, and select the entire image. 4. I press backspace, or I choose Clear, or I go command-X. Same result: no change to the image. And in the Edit menu, Undo and Redo are still grey, showing that as far as GC is concerned, it hasn't done anything. As mentioned in my first post on this topic, I am using an old GC 6.0.1. Was this a known issue with that version? Thanks for your continued help guys, I do appreciate it At 8:32 am -0700 07/04/13, David L. Wasley wrote: >I can select/delete within your image just fine. No need to do >anything about an Alpha Channel. > >Perhaps it would help if you described exactly what you do and what >happens at each step. > > David > >On Apr 6, 2013, at 12:48 PM, Nickee Sanders wrote: > >Thanks Thorsten, but it still isn't working. I >have attached a sample image, made in the same >way as the ones I need to edit. I have tried the >Clear menu command, the backspace key, and >command-X, all of these both before and after >Picture->Alpha Channel->Remove Alpha Channel, and >nothing works. The picture contains no layers. >I really don't know what I'm doing wrong! > >TIA, > > > > >
David L. Wasley

What version of MacOS are you using?BTW, I assume you mean the "delete" key when you say "backspace" - right? David On Apr 7, 2013, at 12:50 PM, Nickee Sanders wrote:   Hi David, Robert & Thorsen -- Good idea David. Here's what I am doing: 1. I open the file (i.e. it has no GC history). As mentioned previously, this is a file created by Grab, in tiff format. This file has not been changed since Grab created it. 2. I choose the Selection tool (in the toolbox, second row, on the right, under the hand). 3. I select a random part of the image, since it's only a test image. Perhaps the top left portion, including the "traffic lights" of the progress window. Or maybe even I go command-A, and select the entire image. 4. I press backspace, or I choose Clear, or I go command-X. Same result: no change to the image. And in the Edit menu, Undo and Redo are still grey, showing that as far as GC is concerned, it hasn't done anything. As mentioned in my first post on this topic, I am using an old GC 6.0.1. Was this a known issue with that version? Thanks for your continued help guys, I do appreciate it At 8:32 am -0700 07/04/13, David L. Wasley wrote: >I can select/delete within your image just fine. No need to do >anything about an Alpha Channel. > >Perhaps it would help if you described exactly what you do and what >happens at each step. > > David > >On Apr 6, 2013, at 12:48 PM, Nickee Sanders wrote: > >Thanks Thorsten, but it still isn't working. I >have attached a sample image, made in the same >way as the ones I need to edit. I have tried the >Clear menu command, the backspace key, and >command-X, all of these both before and after >Picture->Alpha Channel->Remove Alpha Channel, and >nothing works. The picture contains no layers. >I really don't know what I'm doing wrong! > >TIA, > > > > >
Nickee Sanders

Post by Nickee Sanders »

Mac OS 10.6.8, and no I did not mean the delete key, I meant the backspace key, the one on the right of the plus/equals key. However, I have just tried with the delete key, and it doesn't work either. At 5:10 pm -0700 07/04/13, David L. Wasley wrote: >What version of MacOS are you using? > >BTW, I assume you mean the "delete" key when you say "backspace" - right? > > David > >On Apr 7, 2013, at 12:50 PM, Nickee Sanders wrote: > > > >Hi David, Robert & Thorsen -- > >Good idea David. Here's what I am doing: >1. I open the file (i.e. it has no GC history). As mentioned >previously, this is a file created by Grab, in tiff format. This >file has not been changed since Grab created it. >2. I choose the Selection tool (in the toolbox, second row, on the >right, under the hand). >3. I select a random part of the image, since it's only a test >image. Perhaps the top left portion, including the "traffic lights" >of the progress window. Or maybe even I go command-A, and select the >entire image. >4. I press backspace, or I choose Clear, or I go command-X. Same >result: no change to the image. And in the Edit menu, Undo and Redo >are still grey, showing that as far as GC is concerned, it hasn't >done anything. > >As mentioned in my first post on this topic, I am using an old GC >6.0.1. Was this a known issue with that version? > >Thanks for your continued help guys, I do appreciate it > >At 8:32 am -0700 07/04/13, David L. Wasley wrote: > >I can select/delete within your image just fine. No need to do > >anything about an Alpha Channel. > > > >Perhaps it would help if you described exactly what you do and what > >happens at each step. > > > > David > > > >On Apr 6, 2013, at 12:48 PM, Nickee Sanders wrote: > > > >Thanks Thorsten, but it still isn't working. I > >have attached a sample image, made in the same > >way as the ones I need to edit. I have tried the > >Clear menu command, the backspace key, and > >command-X, all of these both before and after > >Picture->Alpha Channel->Remove Alpha Channel, and > >nothing works. The picture contains no layers. > >I really don't know what I'm doing wrong! > > > >TIA, > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
David L. Wasley

Perhaps it is the MacOS not recognizing your keyboard.  Have you tried opening System Preferences and selecting Keyboard?  If it is a non-standard keyboard, it will ask you to identify it by pressing a few keys.FWIW, I've never seen a Mac keyboard with a "backspace" key. DavidOn Apr 7, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Nickee Sanders wrote: Mac OS 10.6.8, and no I did not mean the delete key, I meant the backspace key, the one on the right of the plus/equals key. However, I have just tried with the delete key, and it doesn't work either.
Nickee Sanders

Post by Nickee Sanders »

Thanks for the idea about the keyboard, but it's not having any traction either. Yes, OK, I am using an old PS/2 keyboard via a PS/2 to USB converter (it's for my RSI). But if I use the "delete" key on my MacBook Pro keyboard, GC still refuses to clear out the selection. (And note that even using the Clear command in the Edit menu doesn't work.) At 11:30 pm -0700 07/04/13, David L. Wasley wrote: >Perhaps it is the MacOS not recognizing your keyboard. Have you >tried opening System Preferences and selecting Keyboard? If it is a >non-standard keyboard, it will ask you to identify it by pressing a >few keys. > >FWIW, I've never seen a Mac keyboard with a "backspace" key. > > David > >On Apr 7, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Nickee Sanders wrote: > >Mac OS 10.6.8, and no I did not mean the delete key, I meant the >backspace key, the one on the right of the plus/equals key. However, >I have just tried with the delete key, and it doesn't work either. > > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,the backspace key is used for deletion.Thorsten On 08.04.2013, at 08:40, Nickee Sanders <njsanders@ihug.co.nz> wrote:   Thanks for the idea about the keyboard, but it's not having any traction either. Yes, OK, I am using an old PS/2 keyboard via a PS/2 to USB converter (it's for my RSI). But if I use the "delete" key on my MacBook Pro keyboard, GC still refuses to clear out the selection. (And note that even using the Clear command in the Edit menu doesn't work.) At 11:30 pm -0700 07/04/13, David L. Wasley wrote: >Perhaps it is the MacOS not recognizing your keyboard. Have you >tried opening System Preferences and selecting Keyboard? If it is a >non-standard keyboard, it will ask you to identify it by pressing a >few keys. > >FWIW, I've never seen a Mac keyboard with a "backspace" key. > > David >
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

David L. Wasley schrieb am 08.04.13 08:30: > > FWIW, I've never seen a Mac keyboard with a "backspace" key. Are you sure you have ever seen more than a "standard US" Mac keyboard? Maybe Apple is first of all messing around with their keyboard labeling, so we all tend to use different terms for the same thing... Here is a "US" keyboard: <http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _A1243.png> And here is a russion Mac keyboard: <http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ussian.jpg> Also compare the keyboard layouts shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backspace and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delete_key Hint (for text): "Backspace" deletes in this direction: <- "Delete" deletes in this direction: -> Now GC 8.5.3 treats both keys the same: - In a (new) non-transparent document they will fill a selection with the background color. - In a (new) transparent document they both just delete the selection. In Photoshop CS this is a little bit different (but IMHO more reasonable): The "delete" key doesn't seem to do anything. Only "backspace"... - In a (new) non-transparent document "backspace" fills a selection with background color; option+backspace fills a selection with the foreground color; Shift+Option+Backspace fills non-transparent parts of a selection with the foreground color; Shift+Cmd+Backspace fills non-transparent parts of a selection with the background color - In a transparent document "backspace" will make a selection (inside a previously colored area) transparent, while option+backspace also fills a selection with the foreground color - use cmd+D to "*D*elete a selection", and cmd+A to "select *A*ll" - use Shift+Backspace to open a dialog with several "fill" options Carl
Nickee Sanders

Post by Nickee Sanders »

Since you all seem to be able to do what I cannot, I ask again: is my problem a known issue with GC 6.0.1?? At 10:04 am +0200 08/04/13, Thorsten Lemke wrote: >Hi, > >the backspace key is used for deletion. > >Thorsten > >On 08.04.2013, at 08:40, Nickee Sanders ><<mailto:njsanders@ihug.co.nz>njsanders@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > > > >Thanks for the idea about the keyboard, but it's not having any >traction either. Yes, OK, I am using an old PS/2 keyboard via a PS/2 >to USB converter (it's for my RSI). But if I use the "delete" key on >my MacBook Pro keyboard, GC still refuses to clear out the selection. >(And note that even using the Clear command in the Edit menu doesn't >work.) > >At 11:30 pm -0700 07/04/13, David L. Wasley wrote: > >Perhaps it is the MacOS not recognizing your keyboard. Have you > >tried opening System Preferences and selecting Keyboard? If it is a > >non-standard keyboard, it will ask you to identify it by pressing a > >few keys. > > > >FWIW, I've never seen a Mac keyboard with a "backspace" key. > > > > David > > > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,ah - thanks.It is the delete key and the US keyboard. The Germany layout use an arrow to the left instead and that is normally called backspace.ThorstenOn 08.04.2013, at 10:42, Carl von Einem <einem@gmx.de> wrote: David L. Wasley schrieb am 08.04.13 08:30:>> FWIW, I've never seen a Mac keyboard with a "backspace" key.Are you sure you have ever seen more than a "standard US" Mac keyboard? Maybe Apple is first of all messing around with their keyboard labeling, so we all tend to use different terms for the same thing...