GC cannot handle resolution changes easily along with large JPG file

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Wayne Eligur

Re: GC cannot handle resolution changes easily along with large JPG

Post by Wayne Eligur »

HY! Alan... Yes You're right spotlight is not needed and hogs a lot of CPU time. I do have a 160 GB drive and adequate 5 GB RAM .. ..2009 MackBook... but I use it often and too GC - a NASA image hobby you see.. Apple hardware seems to make it necessary to upgrade in a few short years of time. My 'dynamic' duo core works lots slower than a NEW product say a 4 GHZ i7 multi-thread thing .. I do like the big $1000 LED screen though. LION and new OS-X use too much memory - another issue needing attention. [Free memory pro at the Apple store; cheap... helps the sticky fingers].... I have crash upon crash; news was one should re install one's OS every year to make the 'crap' that Apple says to me, accumulates during use... sounds like WINDOWS again... I have sent recently 15 crash reports to the vendor...
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

I think I have the same MacBook. I'm updating mine with a SSD and using a 750-gig usb drive on it now. I read specs that it will fly with a $100 SSD as the main drive. I stayed two version of OS back on mine to be able to run some now older graphics packages. I have this feeling that Lion or Mountain Lion will be too demanding for the old dual-core cpu. At least the present 5400 rpm main drive is a restriction of the laptop going faster. Check out the write speeds of the SSD's here and consider if this type of drive may be the speed-up you want for the MacBook. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal ... olid_State Maybe this sort of upgrade is enough to keep your present MacBook? Best to ya... Mike Bauers Milwaukee, Wi, USA On Apr 16, 2013, at 8:36 AM, wayne eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> wrote: > HY! Alan... > Yes You're right spotlight is not needed and hogs a lot of CPU time. > I do have a 160 GB drive and adequate 5 GB RAM .. ..2009 MackBook... but I use it often and too GC - a NASA image hobby you see.. > > Apple hardware seems to make it necessary to upgrade in a few short years of time. My 'dynamic' duo core works lots slower than a NEW product say a 4 GHZ i7 multi-thread thing .. I do like the big $1000 LED screen though. > > LION and new OS-X use too much memory - another issue needing attention. [Free memory pro at the Apple store; cheap... helps the sticky fingers].... > > I have crash upon crash; news was one should re install one's OS every year to make the 'crap' that Apple says to me, accumulates during use... > sounds like WINDOWS again... > I have sent recently 15 crash reports to the vendor...
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

Hello Mike Bauers: Cold this spring up yonder? Another poster wrote saying the big deal with notebook computers is the way the CPU does, along with the graphics card [not too fast in the MacBook],rendering of the image and also requires system RAM. Even if I don't have experience along this line I sure could make a better machine just say in my sleep.... I guess this will replace the main HD then so it mounts externally or what? May there be an option to switch back to the HD? I don't ever see Tucson having another real summer again.... Peace!
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Hello, I went through a similar problem in the past. My problem was that the preferences were set up for unlimited undos. The undo's can eat up an enormous amount of memory, especially with large images. The cure: Limit the number of undos or even turn them off. On Apr 18, 2013, at 8:26 AM, wayne eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> wrote: > Hello Mike Bauers: > > Cold this spring up yonder? > > Another poster wrote saying the big deal with notebook computers is the way the CPU does, along with the graphics card [not too fast in the MacBook],rendering of the image and also requires system RAM. > > Even if I don't have experience along this line I sure could make a better machine just say in my sleep.... > > I guess this will replace the main HD then so it mounts externally or what? > May there be an option to switch back to the HD? > > I don't ever see Tucson having another real summer again.... > > Peace! Robert Poland iMac Mid 2011, 12,2 2.7 GHz Intel Core I5, 27” 12 GB Ram, 1TB HD OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

As I do images I used to need to remember many undo[s] and as time went on I got better at what I was doing. I see your machine is newer and up to par. I am still shy about any OS over 10.6.8 as memory allocation and stuff seem un addressed [as usual] by our big bro. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert Poland <rpoland@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > I went through a similar problem in the past. > > My problem was that the preferences were set up for unlimited undos. > > The undo's can eat up an enormous amount of memory, especially with large images. > > The cure: Limit the number of undos or even turn them off. > > > On Apr 18, 2013, at 8:26 AM, wayne eligur <eligurwayne@...> wrote: > > > Hello Mike Bauers: > > > > Cold this spring up yonder? > > > > Another poster wrote saying the big deal with notebook computers is the way the CPU does, along with the graphics card [not too fast in the MacBook],rendering of the image and also requires system RAM. > > > > Even if I don't have experience along this line I sure could make a better machine just say in my sleep.... > > > > I guess this will replace the main HD then so it mounts externally or what? > > May there be an option to switch back to the HD? > > > > I don't ever see Tucson having another real summer again.... > > > > Peace! > > > Robert Poland > iMac Mid 2011, 12,2 > 2.7 GHz Intel Core I5, 27" > 12 GB Ram, 1TB HD > OS X 10.8.3 (12D78) >
Norm Siler

Post by Norm Siler »

Just pointing out where to look for OS X capability, which seems unsure in a couple of the posts about large JPGs. Macbook Pro mid-2007 and later for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Macbook late 2008 or newer iMac mid-2007 and after Referenced from Apple site http://support.apple.com/specs#osxmountainlion Also need hardware 2 GB of memory and 8 GB available hard drive just for the OS X installation. Everyone knows how to find the minimum required hardware to launch GC. Norm Siler --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <eligurwayne@...> wrote: > > As I do images I used to need to remember many undo[s] and as time went on I got better at what I was doing. > I see your machine is newer and up to par. I am still shy about any OS over 10.6.8 as memory allocation and stuff seem un addressed [as usual] by our big bro. > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert Poland <rpoland@> wrote: > > > > Hello, > > > > I went through a similar problem in the past. > > > > My problem was that the preferences were set up for unlimited undos. > > > > The undo's can eat up an enormous amount of memory, especially with large images. > > > > The cure: Limit the number of undos or even turn them off. > > > > > > On Apr 18, 2013, at 8:26 AM, wayne eligur <eligurwayne@> wrote: > > > > > Hello Mike Bauers: > > > > > > Cold this spring up yonder? > > > > > > Another poster wrote saying the big deal with notebook computers is the way the CPU does, along with the graphics card [not too fast in the MacBook],rendering of the image and also requires system RAM. > > > > > > Even if I don't have experience along this line I sure could make a better machine just say in my sleep.... > > > > > > I guess this will replace the main HD then so it mounts externally or what? > > > May there be an option to switch back to the HD? > > > > > > I don't ever see Tucson having another real summer again.... > > > > > > Peace! > > > > > > Robert Poland > > iMac Mid 2011, 12,2 > > 2.7 GHz Intel Core I5, 27" > > 12 GB Ram, 1TB HD > > OS X 10.8.3 (12D78) > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Norm,GraphicConverter itself does not require much memory.But it does need the memory to hold the uncompressed version of the image in real memory for best performance.My own experience is: 10.8.x runs perfectly with 4 GB or more; 10.6.x runs perfectly with 2 GB or more.Thorsten On 18.04.2013, at 18:51, "Norm Siler" <normsiler@yahoo.com> wrote:   Just pointing out where to look for OS X capability, which seems unsure in a couple of the posts about large JPGs. Macbook Pro mid-2007 and later for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Macbook late 2008 or newer iMac mid-2007 and after Referenced from Apple site http://support.apple.com/specs#osxmountainlion Also need hardware 2 GB of memory and 8 GB available hard drive just for the OS X installation. Everyone knows how to find the minimum required hardware to launch GC. Norm Siler
Norm Siler

Post by Norm Siler »

Thank you. My experience agrees, 4 GB easily handling any browser full of images. Sometimes with 2 or 3 browsers open. In the past I also had no trouble with 2 GB of memory running OS X 10.7 Lion and earlier. Hope this settles questions for anyone else, also. NS --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hi Norm, > > GraphicConverter itself does not require much memory. > > But it does need the memory to hold the uncompressed version of the image in real memory for best performance. > > My own experience is: 10.8.x runs perfectly with 4 GB or more; 10.6.x runs perfectly with 2 GB or more. > > Thorsten > > > On 18.04.2013, at 18:51, "Norm Siler" <normsiler@...> wrote: > > > Just pointing out where to look for OS X capability, which seems unsure in a couple of the posts about large JPGs. > > > > Macbook Pro mid-2007 and later for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. > > > > Macbook late 2008 or newer > > > > iMac mid-2007 and after > > > > Referenced from Apple site > > http://support.apple.com/specs#osxmountainlion > > > > Also need hardware 2 GB of memory and 8 GB available hard drive just for the OS X installation. > > > > Everyone knows how to find the minimum required hardware to launch GC. > > > > Norm Siler > > >
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

Yeh, this Spring is simply bitter......... The main drive just pulls out and gets replaced by the SSD. You can still use the present drive as a USB drive if you put it in and external drive case. That will cost $10-$20 for the case and most of them just snap together. You boot from the old drive and carbon-copy it to the SSD to make it be the new main boot drive. I think I'll have my SSD in a couple of days from Mac Sales. I still have to order it and am very impressed by what others have written about this upgrade/update. I see in another post that there is a GC setting default for unlimited undo's. I'm going to set mine for just a few of those and see if it makes a difference. Best to ya... Mike Bauers Milwaukee, Wi, USA On Apr 18, 2013, at 9:26 AM, wayne eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> wrote: > Hello Mike Bauers: > > Cold this spring up yonder? > > Another poster wrote saying the big deal with notebook computers is the way the CPU does, along with the graphics card [not too fast in the MacBook],rendering of the image and also requires system RAM. > > Even if I don't have experience along this line I sure could make a better machine just say in my sleep.... > > I guess this will replace the main HD then so it mounts externally or what? > May there be an option to switch back to the HD? > > I don't ever see Tucson having another real summer again.... > > Peace!