Slideshow slowness

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
David Morrison

Slideshow slowness

Post by David Morrison »

I use an Olympus E-620 and take all of my photos in RAW. While proceeding through a slide show, I sometimes get a bit too fast stepping from one image to the next using the right arrow key. What happens then is that the current image stays put, the spinning beachball appears, and maybe 5-10 seconds later the next image appears. It gets worse if I want to step quickly through several images by pressing the arrow key several times. Again, the current image remains, the beachball appears, and after a much longer time, all the intervening images flip through very quickly, lasting only a fraction of a second. Sometimes, some of the images never appear. I have seen this behaviour in Graphic Converter for many years and on different computers, so it is not something that is only in the current version. It seems to me that GC must cache some of the images it has displayed, as I can go back one or two very quickly. I also suspect it is pre-processing the next couple of images while the current one is being displayed. If it is doing this, I wonder whether there is something in that pre-processing that may not be fully optimised. Could it be trying to render them all at the same time which is causing the delay then the rapid appearance of them all? Or is there some other resource that is required for these sorts of operations? This is on a 12 month old fast MacBook Pro i7 using OS X 10.8, but I have often seen it on earlier laptops as well. It doesn't seem such an issue on desktops, but then I don't do slideshows so often there. Current version of GC is 8.6(1200). Cheers David
thorstenlemke

Re: Slideshow slowness

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello David,GraphicConverter does cache currently 5 images in the slideshow.Can I get a raw? Maybe the raw is the problem. Raw processing takes much longer.Thorsten .