visualizing 16-bit greyscale again

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
dennis.chesters

visualizing 16-bit greyscale again

Post by dennis.chesters »

I process 10- and 12-bit greyscale weather satellite images stored in 16-bit TIFF format. GC through version 6 visualized them automatically, apparently mapping the min/max values in each image into an 8-bit 0-255 range for screen display, and down converting them to 8-bit TIFF with a menu command. However, that feature is gone from GC7 and GC8. Can it come back? Meanwhile, I still use GC6.7.6.
thorstenlemke

Re: visualizing 16-bit greyscale again

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,I display currently the complete 16 bit file with Quartz. So, you can use brightness and contrast on the complete range.So, you want a special option for the 16 -> 8 bit reduction?Thorsten On 09.07.2013, at 15:57, "dennis.chesters" <dchesters@mac.com> wrote:   I process 10- and 12-bit greyscale weather satellite images stored in 16-bit TIFF format. GC through version 6 visualized them automatically, apparently mapping the min/max values in each image into an 8-bit 0-255 range for screen display, and down converting them to 8-bit TIFF with a menu command. However, that feature is gone from GC7 and GC8. Can it come back? Meanwhile, I still use GC6.7.6.