Slide show and folders

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
David Morrison

Slide show and folders

Post by David Morrison »

I often want to present a slide show made up of several different sets of photos. Each set is in its own folder, and I have them all in a single folder. If I drag the enclosing folder to GC, it shows a window containing the subfolders. If I start the slide show, it begins showing the pictures in the first folder. When it gets to the end, it just comes back to displaying all the subfolders. It does not start showing the pics in the second subfolder. I would really like it to just go on to the pictures in the next folder, and the one after, etc. In other words, just automatically show the pictures in each folder in turn. I have had a look at the slide show preferences and I don't think they allow this sort of behaviour. The manual says this: Select Folders: Separately to display the content of subfolders seperately.
thorstenlemke

Re: Slide show and folders

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello David,I am a bit confused.You can select folder separately or all folders merged.Did you select repeat slideshow in the prefs? On 05.08.2013, at 08:37, David Morrison <davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> wrote:   I often want to present a slide show made up of several different sets of photos. Each set is in its own folder, and I have them all in a single folder..
David Morrison

Post by David Morrison »

>Hello David, > >I am a bit confused. > >You can select folder separately or all folders merged. Ah, now I understand!! I have usually dragged a folder onto Graphic Converter's icon in the Dock, then clicked on the Slide Show icon in the toolbar. For a folder full of pictures, this works fine. But if there are subfolders, this produces the behaviour I described. However, I now realise that if I select Slide Show from the File menu, and select the enclosing folder, it does what I expected. So I'm sorry about that. However, I was giving a presentation tonight using someone else's photos and found something else strange. I have GC set to sort the files by name for slide shows. However, the order that GC sorts them the the order the Finder sorts them are different. So the image files were numbered 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpf 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg ... 19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg They would appear in this order in the Finder. However, in GC, they appear in this order: 1.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg ... 19.jpg 2.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 3.jpf 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg I guess I expected that that the files would be displayed in the same order as they are in the Finder. In fact they are sorted in alphabetical order of the file names. I suspect that most people would prefer the files to be in the same order as the Finder, ie, numerical order. But is some cases, it could be relevant to have them in alphabetical order. All I can suggest is to have two sorting by name options in the Slide Show preferences. They would be Sort Files: By name (Finder order) or maybe (Numerical order) Sort Files: By name (alphabetical order) Or maybe Finder order will cause them to be in Alphabetical order anyway? David >On 05.08.2013, at 08:37, David Morrison ><<mailto:davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com>davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> >wrote: > >> >> >>I often want to present a slide show made up of several different >>sets of photos. Each set is in its own folder, and I have them all in >>a single folder. >>.
Alan Fry

Post by Alan Fry »

I think you can avoid this problem with the Finder if you number the files 01.jpg, 02.jpg  ... 09.jpg 10.jpg, 11.jpg etc.HTH,Alan Fry On 5 Aug 201314:54, at   14:54, David Morrison wrote:   >Hello David, > >I am a bit confused. > >You can select folder separately or all folders merged. Ah, now I understand!! I have usually dragged a folder onto Graphic Converter's icon in the Dock, then clicked on the Slide Show icon in the toolbar. For a folder full of pictures, this works fine. But if there are subfolders, this produces the behaviour I described. However, I now realise that if I select Slide Show from the File menu, and select the enclosing folder, it does what I expected. So I'm sorry about that. However, I was giving a presentation tonight using someone else's photos and found something else strange. I have GC set to sort the files by name for slide shows. However, the order that GC sorts them the the order the Finder sorts them are different. So the image files were numbered 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpf 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg ... 19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg They would appear in this order in the Finder. However, in GC, they appear in this order: 1.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg ... 19.jpg 2.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 3.jpf 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg I guess I expected that that the files would be displayed in the same order as they are in the Finder. In fact they are sorted in alphabetical order of the file names. I suspect that most people would prefer the files to be in the same order as the Finder, ie, numerical order. But is some cases, it could be relevant to have them in alphabetical order. All I can suggest is to have two sorting by name options in the Slide Show preferences. They would be Sort Files: By name (Finder order) or maybe (Numerical order) Sort Files: By name (alphabetical order) Or maybe Finder order will cause them to be in Alphabetical order anyway? David >On 05.08.2013, at 08:37, David Morrison ><<mailto:davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com>davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> >wrote: > >> >> >>I often want to present a slide show made up of several different >>sets of photos. Each set is in its own folder, and I have them all in >>a single folder. >>.
David Morrison

Post by David Morrison »

>I think you can avoid this problem with the Finder if you number the >files 01.jpg, 02.jpg ... 09.jpg 10.jpg, 11.jpg etc. That's what I would have done in the past, but in this case I was only given a flash drive with the pictures a few minutes before the presentation :-( Actually, I am not sure that I entirely agree with Apple's numeric sorting. Intuitively it makes sense in the case I quoted. But what about 2.jpg 00002fred.jpg 3.jpg 00003fred.jpg 4.jpg 00004fred.jpg This is how the Finder lists them. To me the fred files should be grouped together and the numbered files together, like this: 00002fred.jpg 00003fred.jpg 00004fred.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg But there is no prospect of getting Apple to change unfortunately :-(
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,that display is normal alpha sorting - not numeric.Thorsten On 06.08.2013, at 03:19, David Morrison <davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> wrote:   This is how the Finder lists them. To me the fred files should be grouped together and the numbered files together, like this: 00002fred.jpg 00003fred.jpg 00004fred.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg But there is no prospect of getting Apple to change unfortunately :-(
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi,just go to the prefs part general/misc and uncheck numeric sorting to get this sort result. This is how the Finder lists them. To me the fred files should be grouped together and the numbered files together, like this: 00002fred.jpg 00003fred.jpg 00004fred.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg But there is no prospect of getting Apple to change unfortunately :-( Thorsten
David Morrison

Post by David Morrison »

>Hi, > >just go to the prefs part general/misc and uncheck numeric sorting >to get this sort result. Ahhh... Thank you. David