pixelation on a mac

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Marie Harvey

pixelation on a mac

Post by Marie Harvey »

Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. Marie Harvey
Don Sample

Re: pixelation on a mac

Post by Don Sample »

If you are saving as JPG, or some other lossy format, this can happen if at some point you turned the image quality way down. On 2013-08-11, at 3:56 PM, Marie Harvey wrote: > Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because > I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture > to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that > I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very > puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had > trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some > help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing > photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. > > Marie Harvey > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Marie Harvey

Post by Marie Harvey »

I checked the resolution as soon as I saw the mess and it was 300 dpi so I didn't think I should mess with that. Also checked the options in the save window but don't see anything  out of order. Oh, and it came to me as jpg and I'm saving it under a different name but still as a jpg. I did some looking and I found I am not the only mac user having this problem---whatever that's worth. Thanks, Don Marie Marie Harvey August 11, 2013 2:56 PM   Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. Marie Harvey Don Sample August 11, 2013 3:20 PM   If you are saving as JPG, or some other lossy format, this can happen if at some point you turned the image quality way down. On 2013-08-11, at 3:56 PM, Marie Harvey wrote: > Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because > I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture > to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that > I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very > puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had > trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some > help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing > photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. > > Marie Harvey > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Gary Estler

Post by Gary Estler »

Attachments :Hi, Marie,I recommend saving the photos in .png format.Regards,Gary E= = = = = SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 = = = = == = = = =  NEVER FORGET !!!  = = = = =From: Marie Harvey <ladyhrvy@sbcglobal.net>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Sunday, August 11, 2013 5:08 PMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: Re: [gcmac] pixelation on a macI checked the resolution as soon as I saw the mess and it was 300 dpi so I didn't think I should mess with that. Also checked the options in the save window but don't see anything  out of order. Oh, and it came to me as jpg and I'm saving it under a different name but still as a jpg. I did some looking and I found I am not the only mac user having this problem---whatever that's worth. Thanks, Don Marie Marie Harvey August 11, 2013 2:56 PM   Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. Marie Harvey Don Sample August 11, 2013 3:20 PM   If you are saving as JPG, or some other lossy format, this can happen if at some point you turned the image quality way down. On 2013-08-11, at 3:56 PM, Marie Harvey wrote: > Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because > I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture > to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that > I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very > puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had > trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some > help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing > photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. > > Marie Harvey > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Alfred J Treder

Post by Alfred J Treder »

Marie,You mentioned checking the resolution (300 dpi), but that is only part of the "quality" issue. If the size of the image was accidentally set to some low number, pixels could be lost in the save operation; that would explain the pixelation issue. When you have a file open in GC, and then choose Save As under the File menu, you get to choose the File Format and location to put the file before you actually save. There is also an Options button just to the right of the File Format window. When you hit that you get a submenu that allows choice of Quality (I usually want that to be high), Codec (I use Baseline), and some other choices on metadata plus something called Special Filesize Options. That last one is another submenu in the same window if you click on it and needs to be used carefully. That one is not visible unless you click on it, so you should check what it shows. If you happen to have that enabled and don't know it, you could be reducing the size of the file you're saving, and that could lead to pixelation.Whenever i use that function, such as when reducing high-res printable files to slideshow file size, I check the box that says "Uncheck option after save", so it won't do the same thing the next time I save, unless I enable it again. I recommend leaving that option selected whenever you finish saving with GC so you won't get caught with unexpected outcomes the next time you use it.Another option on that Options menu is Calculate File Size, which is off by default, I think. If you click that one on, it will show you the original size of the file and the size you are about to get when you save it. If the new size is significantly smaller, and you didn't want it to be lower quality, something needs to be selected differently, and it might be that Special Filesize Options that's been enabled somehow and doesn't show up unless you click on it.Hope this wasn't overwhelming or superfluous. As an engineer and photographer, I do tend to go on. Al“ The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else. The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self. ”-- Whitney Young On Aug 11, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Marie Harvey <ladyhrvy@sbcglobal.net> wrote: I checked the resolution as soon as I saw the mess and it was 300 dpi so I didn't think I should mess with that. Also checked the options in the save window but don't see anything  out of order. Oh, and it came to me as jpg and I'm saving it under a different name but still as a jpg. I did some looking and I found I am not the only mac user having this problem---whatever that's worth. Thanks, Don Marie Marie Harvey August 11, 2013 2:56 PM   Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. Marie Harvey Don Sample August 11, 2013 3:20 PM   If you are saving as JPG, or some other lossy format, this can happen if at some point you turned the image quality way down. On 2013-08-11, at 3:56 PM, Marie Harvey wrote: > Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because > I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture > to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that > I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very > puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had > trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some > help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing > photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. > > Marie Harvey > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Jonathan Lundell

Post by Jonathan Lundell »

On 11 Aug 2013, at 4:00 PM, Alfred J Treder <altreder@earthlink.net> wrote: Marie,You mentioned checking the resolution (300 dpi), but that is only part of the "quality" issue. If the size of the image was accidentally set to some low number, pixels could be lost in the save operation; that would explain the pixelation issue. It's not even *part* of the quality issue; nominal resolution has no effect on image quality at all. At most, it's a hint on the output side as to what the intended display/print size might be.When you're saving as JPEG, click the Options button in the Save dialog box, and fiddle with the quality slider. The preview image will show you what to expect on output.When you have a file open in GC, and then choose Save As under the File menu, you get to choose the File Format and location to put the file before you actually save. There is also an Options button just to the right of the File Format window. When you hit that you get a submenu that allows choice of Quality (I usually want that to be high), Codec (I use Baseline), and some other choices on metadata plus something called Special Filesize Options. That last one is another submenu in the same window if you click on it and needs to be used carefully. That one is not visible unless you click on it, so you should check what it shows. If you happen to have that enabled and don't know it, you could be reducing the size of the file you're saving, and that could lead to pixelation.Whenever i use that function, such as when reducing high-res printable files to slideshow file size, I check the box that says "Uncheck option after save", so it won't do the same thing the next time I save, unless I enable it again. I recommend leaving that option selected whenever you finish saving with GC so you won't get caught with unexpected outcomes the next time you use it.Another option on that Options menu is Calculate File Size, which is off by default, I think. If you click that one on, it will show you the original size of the file and the size you are about to get when you save it. If the new size is significantly smaller, and you didn't want it to be lower quality, something needs to be selected differently, and it might be that Special Filesize Options that's been enabled somehow and doesn't show up unless you click on it.Hope this wasn't overwhelming or superfluous. As an engineer and photographer, I do tend to go on. Al“ The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else. The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self. ”-- Whitney Young On Aug 11, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Marie Harvey <ladyhrvy@sbcglobal.net> wrote: I checked the resolution as soon as I saw the mess and it was 300 dpi so I didn't think I should mess with that. Also checked the options in the save window but don't see anything  out of order. Oh, and it came to me as jpg and I'm saving it under a different name but still as a jpg. I did some looking and I found I am not the only mac user having this problem---whatever that's worth. Thanks, Don Marie Marie Harvey August 11, 2013 2:56 PM   Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. Marie Harvey Don Sample August 11, 2013 3:20 PM   If you are saving as JPG, or some other lossy format, this can happen if at some point you turned the image quality way down. On 2013-08-11, at 3:56 PM, Marie Harvey wrote: > Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because > I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture > to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that > I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very > puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had > trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some > help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing > photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. > > Marie Harvey > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello Marie,many thanks for your e-mail.Which file format did you select? I think JPEG. Please click onto the options button in the save as dialog. The quality should be around 60-70 %.Maybe you did reduce it to nearly 0% ?Thorsten On 11.08.2013, at 21:56, Marie Harvey <ladyhrvy@sbcglobal.net> wrote:   Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. Marie Harvey
Marie Harvey

Post by Marie Harvey »

Thanks so much for your reply. I used jpg and increased the quality up to75% but it made little difference.  . Do you think if I went back to default settings except for those 2 things it would help?  As if I know how to.....and I don't. <G> This is nuts! GC is my  faiithful app even if it is an old version. Marie Marie Harvey August 11, 2013 2:56 PM   Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. Marie Harvey Thorsten Lemke August 12, 2013 4:05 AM Hello Marie,many thanks for your e-mail.Which file format did you select? I think JPEG. Please click onto the options button in the save as dialog. The quality should be around 60-70 %.Maybe you did reduce it to nearly 0% ?Thorsten #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 -- #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mkp { border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mkp hr { border:1px solid #d8d8d8;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mkp #ygrps-yiv-1737063849hd { color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mkp #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ads { margin-bottom:10px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mkp .ygrps-yiv-1737063849ad { padding:0 0;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mkp .ygrps-yiv-1737063849ad p { margin:0;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mkp .ygrps-yiv-1737063849ad a { color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-lc { font-family:Arial;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-lc #ygrps-yiv-1737063849hd { margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-lc .ygrps-yiv-1737063849ad { margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849actions { font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849activity { background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849activity span { font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849activity span:first-child { text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849activity span a { color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849activity span span { color:#ff7900;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849activity span .ygrps-yiv-1737063849underline { text-decoration:underline;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 .ygrps-yiv-1737063849attach { clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 .ygrps-yiv-1737063849attach div a { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 .ygrps-yiv-1737063849attach img { border:none;padding-right:5px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 .ygrps-yiv-1737063849attach label { display:block;margin-bottom:5px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 .ygrps-yiv-1737063849attach label a { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 blockquote { margin:0 0 0 4px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 .ygrps-yiv-1737063849bold { font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 .ygrps-yiv-1737063849bold a { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 dd.ygrps-yiv-1737063849last p a { font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 dd.ygrps-yiv-1737063849last p span { margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 dd.ygrps-yiv-1737063849last p span.ygrps-yiv-1737063849yshortcuts { margin-right:0;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div.ygrps-yiv-1737063849attach-table div div a { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div.ygrps-yiv-1737063849attach-table { width:400px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div.ygrps-yiv-1737063849file-title a, #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div.ygrps-yiv-1737063849file-title a:active, #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div.ygrps-yiv-1737063849file-title a:hover, #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div.ygrps-yiv-1737063849file-title a:visited { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div.ygrps-yiv-1737063849photo-title a, #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div.ygrps-yiv-1737063849photo-title a:active, #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div.ygrps-yiv-1737063849photo-title a:hover, #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div.ygrps-yiv-1737063849photo-title a:visited { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 div#ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mlmsg #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-msg p a span.ygrps-yiv-1737063849yshortcuts { font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 .ygrps-yiv-1737063849green { color:#628c2a;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 .ygrps-yiv-1737063849MsoNormal { margin:0 0 0 0;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 o { font-size:0;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849photos div { float:left;width:72px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849photos div div { border:1px solid #666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849photos div label { color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849reco-category { font-size:77%;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849reco-desc { font-size:77%;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 .ygrps-yiv-1737063849replbq { margin:4px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mlmsg { font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mlmsg select, #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 input, #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 textarea { font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mlmsg pre, #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 code { font:115% monospace;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height:1.22em;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-mlmsg #ygrps-yiv-1737063849logo { padding-bottom:10px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-msg p a { font-family:Verdana;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-msg p#ygrps-yiv-1737063849attach-count span { color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-reco #ygrps-yiv-1737063849reco-head { color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-reco { margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ov li a { font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ov li { font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ov ul { margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-text { font-family:Georgia;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-text p { margin:0 0 1em 0;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-text tt { font-size:120%;} #ygrps-yiv-1737063849 #ygrps-yiv-1737063849ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right:none !important; } #ygrps-yiv-1737063849
Marie Harvey

Post by Marie Harvey »

Thanks heaps! I will use this to go thru the settings to be sure they are OK.. Appreciate the detailed info!!! Marie Marie Harvey August 11, 2013 2:56 PM   Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. Marie Harvey Don Sample August 11, 2013 3:20 PM   If you are saving as JPG, or some other lossy format, this can happen if at some point you turned the image quality way down. On 2013-08-11, at 3:56 PM, Marie Harvey wrote: > Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because > I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture > to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that > I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very > puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had > trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some > help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing > photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. > > Marie Harvey > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > Marie Harvey August 11, 2013 4:08 PM I checked the resolution as soon as I saw the mess and it was 300 dpi so I didn't think I should mess with that. Also checked the options in the save window but don't see anything  out of order. Oh, and it came to me as jpg and I'm saving it under a different name but still as a jpg. I did some looking and I found I am not the only mac user having this problem---whatever that's worth. Thanks, Don Marie Alfred J Treder August 11, 2013 6:00 PM Marie,You mentioned checking the resolution (300 dpi), but that is only part of the "quality" issue. If the size of the image was accidentally set to some low number, pixels could be lost in the save operation; that would explain the pixelation issue. When you have a file open in GC, and then choose Save As under the File menu, you get to choose the File Format and location to put the file before you actually save. There is also an Options button just to the right of the File Format window. When you hit that you get a submenu that allows choice of Quality (I usually want that to be high), Codec (I use Baseline), and some other choices on metadata plus something called Special Filesize Options. That last one is another submenu in the same window if you click on it and needs to be used carefully. That one is not visible unless you click on it, so you should check what it shows. If you happen to have that enabled and don't know it, you could be reducing the size of the file you're saving, and that could lead to pixelation.Whenever i use that function, such as when reducing high-res printable files to slideshow file size, I check the box that says "Uncheck option after save", so it won't do the same thing the next time I save, unless I enable it again. I recommend leaving that option selected whenever you finish saving with GC so you won't get caught with unexpected outcomes the next time you use it.Another option on that Options menu is Calculate File Size, which is off by default, I think. If you click that one on, it will show you the original size of the file and the size you are about to get when you save it. If the new size is significantly smaller, and you didn't want it to be lower quality, something needs to be selected differently, and it might be that Special Filesize Options that's been enabled somehow and doesn't show up unless you click on it.Hope this wasn't overwhelming or superfluous. As an engineer and photographer, I do tend to go on. Al“ The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else. The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self. ”-- Whitney Young On Aug 11, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Marie Harvey <ladyhrvy@sbcglobal.net> wrote: I checked the resolution as soon as I saw the mess and it was 300 dpi so I didn't think I should mess with that. Also checked the options in the save window but don't see anything  out of order. Oh, and it came to me as jpg and I'm saving it under a different name but still as a jpg. I did some looking and I found I am not the only mac user having this problem---whatever that's worth. Thanks, Don Marie
Alfred J Treder

Post by Alfred J Treder »

Marie,If the problem is not in the Save As operation, it would be in what you do with the file when it is open. The most obvious problem would be in changing picture size under the Picture menu. You haven't said what you do with the file.BTW, the newest versions of GC have very nice interfaces, and most of us are using them. We no longer see the windows that you see, so our advice may seem incomprehensible. It may be a good idea to upgrade. Al“ I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.”-- Edward Everett Hale On Aug 12, 2013, at 7:19 AM, Marie Harvey <ladyhrvy@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Thanks so much for your reply. I used jpg and increased the quality up to75% but it made little difference.  . Do you think if I went back to default settings except for those 2 things it would help?  As if I know how to.....and I don't. <G> This is nuts! GC is my  faiithful app even if it is an old version. Marie Marie Harvey August 11, 2013 2:56 PM   Okay, guys, I need some help with something that is new to me because I've never had it happen to me before. Now when I try to save a picture to a certain file for to put online on a page it pixelate so badly that I cannot use it.. And this did not ever happen until recently. I am very puzzled and very frustrated. I'm using a MacBook and I ha never had trouble like this before and I'm really stumped on this and need some help because I webmaster a number of pages that involve importing photos. So I hope somebody can help me I sure would appreciate it. Marie Harvey Thorsten Lemke August 12, 2013 4:05 AM Hello Marie,many thanks for your e-mail.Which file format did you select? I think JPEG. Please click onto the options button in the save as dialog. The quality should be around 60-70 %.Maybe you did reduce it to nearly 0% ?Thorsten #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079 -- #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mkp { border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mkp hr { border:1px solid #d8d8d8;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mkp #ygrps-yiv-794489079hd { color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mkp #ygrps-yiv-794489079ads { margin-bottom:10px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mkp .ygrps-yiv-794489079ad { padding:0 0;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mkp .ygrps-yiv-794489079ad p { margin:0;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mkp .ygrps-yiv-794489079ad a { color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-lc { font-family:Arial;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-lc #ygrps-yiv-794489079hd { margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-lc .ygrps-yiv-794489079ad { margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079actions { font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079activity { background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079activity span { font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079activity span:first-child { text-transform:uppercase;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079activity span a { color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079activity span span { color:#ff7900;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079activity span .ygrps-yiv-794489079underline { text-decoration:underline;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 .ygrps-yiv-794489079attach { clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 .ygrps-yiv-794489079attach div a { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 .ygrps-yiv-794489079attach img { border:none;padding-right:5px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 .ygrps-yiv-794489079attach label { display:block;margin-bottom:5px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 .ygrps-yiv-794489079attach label a { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 blockquote { margin:0 0 0 4px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 .ygrps-yiv-794489079bold { font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 .ygrps-yiv-794489079bold a { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 dd.ygrps-yiv-794489079last p a { font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 dd.ygrps-yiv-794489079last p span { margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 dd.ygrps-yiv-794489079last p span.ygrps-yiv-794489079yshortcuts { margin-right:0;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div.ygrps-yiv-794489079attach-table div div a { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div.ygrps-yiv-794489079attach-table { width:400px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div.ygrps-yiv-794489079file-title a, #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div.ygrps-yiv-794489079file-title a:active, #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div.ygrps-yiv-794489079file-title a:hover, #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div.ygrps-yiv-794489079file-title a:visited { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div.ygrps-yiv-794489079photo-title a, #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div.ygrps-yiv-794489079photo-title a:active, #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div.ygrps-yiv-794489079photo-title a:hover, #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div.ygrps-yiv-794489079photo-title a:visited { text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 div#ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mlmsg #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-msg p a span.ygrps-yiv-794489079yshortcuts { font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 .ygrps-yiv-794489079green { color:#628c2a;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 .ygrps-yiv-794489079MsoNormal { margin:0 0 0 0;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 o { font-size:0;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079photos div { float:left;width:72px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079photos div div { border:1px solid #666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079photos div label { color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079reco-category { font-size:77%;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079reco-desc { font-size:77%;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 .ygrps-yiv-794489079replbq { margin:4px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mlmsg { font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mlmsg select, #ygrps-yiv-794489079 input, #ygrps-yiv-794489079 textarea { font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mlmsg pre, #ygrps-yiv-794489079 code { font:115% monospace;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height:1.22em;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-mlmsg #ygrps-yiv-794489079logo { padding-bottom:10px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-msg p a { font-family:Verdana;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-msg p#ygrps-yiv-794489079attach-count span { color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-reco #ygrps-yiv-794489079reco-head { color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-reco { margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-794489079ov li a { font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-794489079ov li { font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-sponsor #ygrps-yiv-794489079ov ul { margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-text { font-family:Georgia;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-text p { margin:0 0 1em 0;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-text tt { font-size:120%;} #ygrps-yiv-794489079 #ygrps-yiv-794489079ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right:none !important; } #ygrps-yiv-794489079