[ANN] GraphicConverter 8.8 [Build 1316]

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
thorstenlemke

[ANN] GraphicConverter 8.8 [Build 1316]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, I released the new 8.8 now. The mirrors are already updated. Please download at http://www.lemkesoft.com The Mac App Store version will be updated after the Apple review process. Regards Thorsten Lemke
E. T. Moore Jr.

Re: [ANN] GraphicConverter 8.8 [Build 1316]

Post by E. T. Moore Jr. »

Thorsten;Why does it take Graphic Converter 20-30 seconds to open???Thanks,E. T. Moore On Aug 26, 2013, at 7:38 AM, lemkesoft <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:   Hello, I released the new 8.8 now. The mirrors are already updated. Please download at http://www.lemkesoft.com The Mac App Store version will be updated after the Apple review process. Regards Thorsten Lemke
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

On Aug 28, 2013, at 5:31 PM, E. T. Moore Jr. <etmoorejr@charter.net> wrote: > > Why does it take Graphic Converter 20-30 seconds to open??? This seems to be a feature of recent updates of 10.8.... not just GC. Even Apple's own apps take a surprisingly long time to open anymore. T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.8.4 # MacBook Pro4.1 Core 2 Duo [2.5GHz - 4GB 667] OS X 10.6.8 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.8.4 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
Foskey Edward

Post by Foskey Edward »

Not having that problem. I just updated and MacOS 10 is running with the most recent updates.-ed- On Aug 28, 2013, at 5:31 PM, E. T. Moore Jr. <etmoorejr@charter.net> wrote:   Thorsten;Why does it take Graphic Converter 20-30 seconds to open???Thanks,E. T. MooreOn Aug 26, 2013, at 7:38 AM, lemkesoft <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:   Hello, I released the new 8.8 now. The mirrors are already updated. Please download at http://www.lemkesoft.com The Mac App Store version will be updated after the Apple review process. Regards Thorsten Lemke
Jonathan Lundell

Post by Jonathan Lundell »

On 28 Aug 2013, at 2:44 PM, "William H. Magill" <magill@mac.com> wrote: > > On Aug 28, 2013, at 5:31 PM, E. T. Moore Jr. <etmoorejr@charter.net> wrote: >> >> Why does it take Graphic Converter 20-30 seconds to open??? > > This seems to be a feature of recent updates of 10.8.... not just GC. > > Even Apple's own apps take a surprisingly long time to open anymore. I'm seeing 2-3 seconds for the first open on a recent MBP; maybe a second for subsequent opens. 10.8.4.
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

Are you using a solid-state drive or a hybrid drive, or a disk-based drive in your MBP? Is it a i5 or i7 cpu ?? Best to ya... Mike Bauers Milwaukee, Wi, USA On Aug 28, 2013, at 6:11 PM, Jonathan Lundell <jlundell@pobox.com> wrote: > On 28 Aug 2013, at 2:44 PM, "William H. Magill" <magill@mac.com> wrote: >> >> On Aug 28, 2013, at 5:31 PM, E. T. Moore Jr. <etmoorejr@charter.net> wrote: >>> >>> Why does it take Graphic Converter 20-30 seconds to open??? >> >> This seems to be a feature of recent updates of 10.8.... not just GC. >> >> Even Apple's own apps take a surprisingly long time to open anymore. > > I'm seeing 2-3 seconds for the first open on a recent MBP; maybe a second for subsequent opens. 10.8.4.
Jonathan Lundell

Post by Jonathan Lundell »

On 28 Aug 2013, at 5:23 PM, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@wi.rr.com> wrote: > > Are you using a solid-state drive or a hybrid drive, or a disk-based drive in your MBP? Solid state. > > Is it a i5 or i7 cpu ?? 2.6 GHz i7 > > Best to ya... > Mike Bauers > Milwaukee, Wi, USA > > On Aug 28, 2013, at 6:11 PM, Jonathan Lundell <jlundell@pobox.com> wrote: > >> On 28 Aug 2013, at 2:44 PM, "William H. Magill" <magill@mac.com> wrote: >>> >>> On Aug 28, 2013, at 5:31 PM, E. T. Moore Jr. <etmoorejr@charter.net> wrote: >>>> >>>> Why does it take Graphic Converter 20-30 seconds to open??? >>> >>> This seems to be a feature of recent updates of 10.8.... not just GC. >>> >>> Even Apple's own apps take a surprisingly long time to open anymore. >> >> I'm seeing 2-3 seconds for the first open on a recent MBP; maybe a second for subsequent opens. 10.8.4. >
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

OHhhhh.... That is a fast machine with it's SSD and the i7 ! I read you boot in under 5-seconds with that. I know what I want for my next Mac...... I understand that the old MacBooks speed up their boots from about 60-secs to 20 seconds just by updating to a SSD. With about the same sort of speed-up for any Mac that you can swap out the main drive. That being said, I have a new 27-inch i5 iMac, 3.2 GHz, with 16-gig of ram, and a conventional hard-drive. I believe the hard drive is 7200 rpm. I just installed the latest GC-version and booted the program. It gives me a couple of requestors that don't come up on later re-boots about the program being downloaded and do I want to open it. I took me about 22-seconds to first open the program and its browser. I left the program there, on a folder with some images, and closed it down. I next rebooted the program and and selected it to open with it's browser again. The program snapped open in about 6-seconds per my watch's, stopwatch function. Granted I had selected a folder that only had a couple of things in it and only one image. I was surprised to see the program open as swiftly as it did. I assume it would have been slower if I had selected a folder with a lot of images in it. Let's see.... I did see one time it re-opened the browser in about 22-seconds on a folder with 35 images. For the first tiem, after that it was opening the same folder in 5-6 seconds. After that, I tried a few times with a folder selected, closed the program, reopened the program and selected browser option, and for folders of 21-items, 30-items, and 88-items; the program booted up in 5-6 seconds. [These folders are on the main drive.] Closing it on the last folder and re-opening, it snaps open in 2-3 seconds. Maybe the program is doing better than some are seeing on their computers? The beta's up to last weekend were taking about 20-30 seconds to open for me on a folder. This latest release is working very well to open GC quite swiftly. I'm impressed. Best to ya... Mike Bauers Milwaukee, Wi, USA On Aug 28, 2013, at 7:35 PM, Jonathan Lundell <jlundell@pobox.com> wrote: > On 28 Aug 2013, at 5:23 PM, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@wi.rr.com> wrote: >> >> Are you using a solid-state drive or a hybrid drive, or a disk-based drive in your MBP? > > Solid state. > >> >> Is it a i5 or i7 cpu ?? > > 2.6 GHz i7 > >> >> Best to ya... >> Mike Bauers >> Milwaukee, Wi, USA >> >> On Aug 28, 2013, at 6:11 PM, Jonathan Lundell <jlundell@pobox.com> wrote: >> >>> On 28 Aug 2013, at 2:44 PM, "William H. Magill" <magill@mac.com> wrote: >>>> >>>> On Aug 28, 2013, at 5:31 PM, E. T. Moore Jr. <etmoorejr@charter.net> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> Why does it take Graphic Converter 20-30 seconds to open??? >>>> >>>> This seems to be a feature of recent updates of 10.8.... not just GC. >>>> >>>> Even Apple's own apps take a surprisingly long time to open anymore. >>> >>> I'm seeing 2-3 seconds for the first open on a recent MBP; maybe a second for subsequent opens. 10.8.4.
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

yes that security UPDATE is doing  a great run around in all the OS-X...another is the UNIX interface that GC and third party apps. go through . Unix is from 1968 and written in C...The App. TERMINAL accesses the UNIX part in Apple. Say PREVIEW open THAT up and see how quick it is because I suppose it is allocated a free path avoiding the UNIX stepping stone.There is no point in routing apps. through UNIX of all things! It slows down all of the executables.Unix should be thrown out in my view. What is it doing in there anyway theses days?Memory allocation and freeing is also not being addressed by Apple.
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

yes that security UPDATE is doing  a great run around in all the OS-X...another is the UNIX interface that GC and third party apps. go through . Unix is from 1968 and written in C...The App. TERMINAL accesses the UNIX part in Apple. Say PREVIEW open THAT up and see how quick it is because I suppose it is allocated a free path avoiding the UNIX stepping stone.There is no point in routing apps. through UNIX of all things! It slows down all of the executables.Unix should be thrown out in my view. What is it doing in there anyway theses days?Memory allocation and freeing is also not being addressed by Apple.