System Events?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Wayne Eligur

Re: System Events?

Post by Wayne Eligur »

It is, on my part, more of a general thing with the Apple people...PS/ Lately the WEB is very slow - I wonder if any one has this issue?In my area it is ongoing. Yahoo mail is extremely erratic -NSA may be downloading yahoo mail history whilst we compute you know it?I have seen a 'deleted mail' folder appear with month's old deleted mail then that folder's contents vanish soon...Wayne From: Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:37:52 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   The normal cure for this problem; When the box pops up with this error scroll down to the app and select it. In your case you will probably need to scroll down to "Other" then navigate to /System/Library/CoreSevices/ then select System Events.app. The problem should then go away. On Sep 22, 2013, at 2:31 PM, Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> wrote: > > Apple is slap dash in their software - starting after Panther I read often enough. Tell me if after any recent updates that the computer gets slower - annoyingly sluggish unresponsive - when was Apple introduced anyhow? 1984 Superbowl? > > > From: Alan Fry <ajf@afco.demon.co.uk> > To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:21:37 PM > Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? > > > You should find 'System Events.app' in '/System/Library/CoreSevices/'. Usually an error message of the kind "Where is xyz.app?' comes from an AppleScript which for some reason or another cannot find the app for which the script is calling. I have no idea the script might be in this case nor why it cannot find System Events. Since the error shows up on start-up it may perhaps be associated with one of the 'Login Items' perhaps. > > Alan Fry > > > On 22 Sep 201305:26, at 05:26, Nelsn Helm wrote: > >> >> When I start up my computer, I get a window that says "Where is System Events.app?" Does that have anything to do with GC? I cannot find an app with a name including either "System" or "Events". >> _____________________ >> Nelsn Helm >> 4112 Massie Av 3 >> Louisville, KY 40207-2179 >> Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Nelsn Helm

Post by Nelsn Helm »

Thank you, Thorsten.NelsonOn Sep 22, 2013, at 2:22 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote: Hello Nelsn,no, that is not from us.ThorstenOn 22.09.2013, at 06:26, Nelsn Helm <helmkyny@clockwinders.net> wrote:   When I start up my computer, I get a window that says "Where is System Events.app?" Does that have anything to do with GC? I cannot find an app with a name including either "System" or "Events". _____________________ Nelsn Helm 4112 Massie Av 3 Louisville, KY 40207-2179 __._,_.__ _____________________Nelsn Helm4112 Massie Av 3Louisville, KY 40207-2179
Roberto Manuel Latorre

Post by Roberto Manuel Latorre »

Macintosh revolutionized the Personal Computer world on 1984. But Apple also revolutionized the Personal Computer world much earlier, in 1976, when the three Steves (Allen, Jobs, Wozniak) created the Apple I. And people started using VisiCalc on their Apple II PC's. And shortly later, both Excel & Word were created by Microsoft for the Apple II, further creating a serious competitor (destroyer?) to the Mainframe, and placing the PC in the consciousness of American Business as a serious tool, and inspiring IBM to shoot itself in the foot with their "IBM PC," which in turn spawned all the other, mostly useless PC's, and the rise of Microsoft as the "popular" (as in "cockroaches are very abundant, so they are popular") Software Maker, setting the whole programming enterprise back decades, until the Mac OS X put Unix (and, without intending it, Linux) on the Map, causing people to again demand quality on their software. Then Apple revolutionized the Publishing world with the little Macintosh, which created several hitherto unknown lines of business and Adobe & their siblings. And then Apple revolutionized the Music industry, and the portable industry, and, and, and…Oh, and it was Bill Gates—after leaving Microsoft—who said his company was -had always been- slapdash on its software (he used the words "bad quality software") and needed to change its culture to be more like Apple and the Open Software Movement.Don't get me wrong. This is just a bit of history from someone who used to program on an IBM 360 (system programming, not problem programming) and then on several iterations of Mainframes and then (for my own pleasure) on an IMSAI 8080 (my egg frier, I used to call it) and then on various PC's until I fell in love with the Mac Plus. And the Performas. And the PPC Macs. And the iMac. I do my MMORPG on a custom system (which is getting long on the tooth and I am thinking on upgrading) which has nothing to do with Apple, so please, don't think of me as an Apple fanatic; just a Personal Computer fanatic who is also an Apple lover. I kept my IMSAI until I couldn't find parts for it anymore, just as I kept my Mac Plus until I realized I wasn't using it anymore, just as I kept a (recreated, with some friends) IBM 360 in my basement until I couldn't justify the electricity costs. Just as I keep my QuickSilver because I use it to run the old GraphicConverter and several applications which run under Mac OS 9. And you, Mr. Helm, should trace that piece of software until you re-link it. Or eliminate your login items and reintroduce them one-by-one until the problem is reproduced. Or… Well, there are so many ways to have fun with it. Dig into it, man! Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. From: "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:56 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   Yes 1984 on my little apple }{From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:31 PMTo: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   Apple is slap dash in their software - starting after Panther I read often enough. Tell me if after any recent updates that the computer gets slower - annoyingly sluggish unresponsive - when was Apple introduced anyhow? 1984 Superbowl? From: Alan Fry <ajf@afco.demon.co.uk> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:21:37 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   You should find 'System Events.app' in '/System/Library/CoreSevices/'. Usually an error message of the kind "Where is xyz.app?' comes from an AppleScript which for some reason or another cannot find the app for which the script is calling. I have no idea the script might be in this case nor why it cannot find System Events. Since the error shows up on start-up it may perhaps be associated with one of the 'Login Items' perhaps.Alan FryOn 22 Sep 201305:26, at   05:26, Nelsn Helm wrote:  When I start up my computer, I get a window that says "Where is System Events.app?" Does that have anything to do with GC? I cannot find an app with a name including either "System" or "Events". _____________________ Nelsn Helm 4112 Massie Av 3 Louisville, KY 40207-2179
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

OMG you are not serious a real IBM 360?That thing used many kilowatts per hour...And you must have an olympic basement too!I used to work as a 'gopher' for a company processing co-pays for blue cross when, in say, 1986 they rented a bldg. to house a IBM 360 with all the stuff in the movies too.. It was large thing. A tech to service said it was small scale integration tech. He used mouse traps and swept out the dust of it.I do appreciate your comments - but the letters  MMORPG mean?Do you actually suppose Wozniack programmed himself, the Apple I, the beginner?I suppose differently. From: Roberto Manuel Latorre <ronin55calo@yahoo.com> To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 7:57:55 AM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   Macintosh revolutionized the Personal Computer world on 1984. But Apple also revolutionized the Personal Computer world much earlier, in 1976, when the three Steves (Allen, Jobs, Wozniak) created the Apple I. And people started using VisiCalc on their Apple II PC's. And shortly later, both Excel & Word were created by Microsoft for the Apple II, further creating a serious competitor (destroyer?) to the Mainframe, and placing the PC in the consciousness of American Business as a serious tool, and inspiring IBM to shoot itself in the foot with their "IBM PC," which in turn spawned all the other, mostly useless PC's, and the rise of Microsoft as the "popular" (as in "cockroaches are very abundant, so they are popular") Software Maker, setting the whole programming enterprise back decades, until the Mac OS X put Unix (and, without intending it, Linux) on the Map, causing people to again demand quality on their software. Then Apple revolutionized the Publishing world with the little Macintosh, which created several hitherto unknown lines of business and Adobe & their siblings. And then Apple revolutionized the Music industry, and the portable industry, and, and, and…Oh, and it was Bill Gates—after leaving Microsoft—who said his company was -had always been- slapdash on its software (he used the words "bad quality software") and needed to change its culture to be more like Apple and the Open Software Movement.Don't get me wrong. This is just a bit of history from someone who used to program on an IBM 360 (system programming, not problem programming) and then on several iterations of Mainframes and then (for my own pleasure) on an IMSAI 8080 (my egg frier, I used to call it) and then on various PC's until I fell in love with the Mac Plus. And the Performas. And the PPC Macs. And the iMac. I do my MMORPG on a custom system (which is getting long on the tooth and I am thinking on upgrading) which has nothing to do with Apple, so please, don't think of me as an Apple fanatic; just a Personal Computer fanatic who is also an Apple lover. I kept my IMSAI until I couldn't find parts for it anymore, just as I kept my Mac Plus until I realized I wasn't using it anymore, just as I kept a (recreated, with some friends) IBM 360 in my basement until I couldn't justify the electricity costs. Just as I keep my QuickSilver because I use it to run the old GraphicConverter and several applications which run under Mac OS 9. And you, Mr. Helm, should trace that piece of software until you re-link it. Or eliminate your login items and reintroduce them one-by-one until the problem is reproduced. Or… Well, there are so many ways to have fun with it. Dig into it, man! Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. From: "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:56 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   Yes 1984 on my little apple }{From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:31 PMTo: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   Apple is slap dash in their software - starting after Panther I read often enough. Tell me if after any recent updates that the computer gets slower - annoyingly sluggish unresponsive - when was Apple introduced anyhow? 1984 Superbowl? From: Alan Fry <ajf@afco.demon.co.uk> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:21:37 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   You should find 'System Events.app' in '/System/Library/CoreSevices/'. Usually an error message of the kind "Where is xyz.app?' comes from an AppleScript which for some reason or another cannot find the app for which the script is calling. I have no idea the script might be in this case nor why it cannot find System Events. Since the error shows up on start-up it may perhaps be associated with one of the 'Login Items' perhaps.Alan FryOn 22 Sep 201305:26, at   05:26, Nelsn Helm wrote:  When I start up my computer, I get a window that says "Where is System Events.app?" Does that have anything to do with GC? I cannot find an app with a name including either "System" or "Events". _____________________ Nelsn Helm 4112 Massie Av 3 Louisville, KY 40207-2179
dknodel@swbell.net

Post by dknodel@swbell.net »

The woz did the apple one as I understand my first was an apple ][My university had an ibm 360 in the basement crunching  student paymentsFrom: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Monday, September 23, 2013 11:20 AMTo: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   OMG you are not serious a real IBM 360?That thing used many kilowatts per hour...And you must have an olympic basement too!I used to work as a 'gopher' for a company processing co-pays for blue cross when, in say, 1986 they rented a bldg. to house a IBM 360 with all the stuff in the movies too.. It was large thing. A tech to service said it was small scale integration tech. He used mouse traps and swept out the dust of it.I do appreciate your comments - but the letters  MMORPG mean?Do you actually suppose Wozniack programmed himself, the Apple I, the beginner?I suppose differently. From: Roberto Manuel Latorre <ronin55calo@yahoo.com> To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 7:57:55 AM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   Macintosh revolutionized the Personal Computer world on 1984. But Apple also revolutionized the Personal Computer world much earlier, in 1976, when the three Steves (Allen, Jobs, Wozniak) created the Apple I. And people started using VisiCalc on their Apple II PC's. And shortly later, both Excel & Word were created by Microsoft for the Apple II, further creating a serious competitor (destroyer?) to the Mainframe, and placing the PC in the consciousness of American Business as a serious tool, and inspiring IBM to shoot itself in the foot with their "IBM PC," which in turn spawned all the other, mostly useless PC's, and the rise of Microsoft as the "popular" (as in "cockroaches are very abundant, so they are popular") Software Maker, setting the whole programming enterprise back decades, until the Mac OS X put Unix (and, without intending it, Linux) on the Map, causing people to again demand quality on their software. Then Apple revolutionized the Publishing world with the little Macintosh, which created several hitherto unknown lines of business and Adobe & their siblings. And then Apple revolutionized the Music industry, and the portable industry, and, and, and…Oh, and it was Bill Gates—after leaving Microsoft—who said his company was -had always been- slapdash on its software (he used the words "bad quality software") and needed to change its culture to be more like Apple and the Open Software Movement.Don't get me wrong. This is just a bit of history from someone who used to program on an IBM 360 (system programming, not problem programming) and then on several iterations of Mainframes and then (for my own pleasure) on an IMSAI 8080 (my egg frier, I used to call it) and then on various PC's until I fell in love with the Mac Plus. And the Performas. And the PPC Macs. And the iMac. I do my MMORPG on a custom system (which is getting long on the tooth and I am thinking on upgrading) which has nothing to do with Apple, so please, don't think of me as an Apple fanatic; just a Personal Computer fanatic who is also an Apple lover. I kept my IMSAI until I couldn't find parts for it anymore, just as I kept my Mac Plus until I realized I wasn't using it anymore, just as I kept a (recreated, with some friends) IBM 360 in my basement until I couldn't justify the electricity costs. Just as I keep my QuickSilver because I use it to run the old GraphicConverter and several applications which run under Mac OS 9. And you, Mr. Helm, should trace that piece of software until you re-link it. Or eliminate your login items and reintroduce them one-by-one until the problem is reproduced. Or… Well, there are so many ways to have fun with it. Dig into it, man! Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. From: "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:56 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   Yes 1984 on my little apple }{From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:31 PMTo: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?  Apple is slap dash in their software - starting after Panther I read often enough. Tell me if after any recent updates that the computer gets slower - annoyingly sluggish unresponsive - when was Apple introduced anyhow? 1984 Superbowl? From: Alan Fry <ajf@afco.demon.co.uk> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:21:37 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   You should find 'System Events.app' in '/System/Library/CoreSevices/'. Usually an error message of the kind "Where is xyz.app?' comes from an AppleScript which for some reason or another cannot find the app for which the script is calling. I have no idea the script might be in this case nor why it cannot find System Events. Since the error shows up on start-up it may perhaps be associated with one of the 'Login Items' perhaps.Alan FryOn 22 Sep 201305:26, at   05:26, Nelsn Helm wrote:  When I start up my computer, I get a window that says "Where is System Events.app?" Does that have anything to do with GC? I cannot find an app with a name including either "System" or "Events". _____________________ Nelsn Helm 4112 Massie Av 3 Louisville, KY 40207-2179
Roberto Manuel Latorre

Post by Roberto Manuel Latorre »

Yes, it was a full IBM 360 Model II 64KB of memory, with triphasic current installed at a big cost on the basement. Air Conditioning that basement was next to impossible. It had one very old, not very reliable drum disk unit, and a 5MB regular Hard Disk Drive (33inch diameter, four plates.) and a 3420 (twin) tape drive unit. Also a perforated card read/write unit, which had the I/O controller for all the other items, although we didn't use it as card read/write, since we used magnetic tapes -and keypunch-to-tape in order to do input. The other guys, as is wont to happen, some moved, some lost interest, you know, just life. One of us took everything out over a weekend, and that was the end of an expensive, exhilarating, around 18 months adventure. I didn't follow up on what happened with the Mainframe, but I had, for a time, a somewhat coherent emulation of a 360 running on a Mac. Just nostalgia, though.MMORPG means M assively M ulti-player O nline R ole P laying G ame. I am up to all kinds of nerdy adolescents, and kicking butt. Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 11:20 AM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   OMG you are not serious a real IBM 360?That thing used many kilowatts per hour...And you must have an olympic basement too!I used to work as a 'gopher' for a company processing co-pays for blue cross when, in say, 1986 they rented a bldg. to house a IBM 360 with all the stuff in the movies too.. It was large thing. A tech to service said it was small scale integration tech. He used mouse traps and swept out the dust of it.I do appreciate your comments - but the letters  MMORPG mean?Do you actually suppose Wozniack programmed himself, the Apple I, the beginner?I suppose differently. From: Roberto Manuel Latorre <ronin55calo@yahoo.com> To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 7:57:55 AM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   Macintosh revolutionized the Personal Computer world on 1984. But Apple also revolutionized the Personal Computer world much earlier, in 1976, when the three Steves (Allen, Jobs, Wozniak) created the Apple I. And people started using VisiCalc on their Apple II PC's. And shortly later, both Excel & Word were created by Microsoft for the Apple II, further creating a serious competitor (destroyer?) to the Mainframe, and placing the PC in the consciousness of American Business as a serious tool, and inspiring IBM to shoot itself in the foot with their "IBM PC," which in turn spawned all the other, mostly useless PC's, and the rise of Microsoft as the "popular" (as in "cockroaches are very abundant, so they are popular") Software Maker, setting the whole programming enterprise back decades, until the Mac OS X put Unix (and, without intending it, Linux) on the Map, causing people to again demand quality on their software. Then Apple revolutionized the Publishing world with the little Macintosh, which created several hitherto unknown lines of business and Adobe & their siblings. And then Apple revolutionized the Music industry, and the portable industry, and, and, and…Oh, and it was Bill Gates—after leaving Microsoft—who said his company was -had always been- slapdash on its software (he used the words "bad quality software") and needed to change its culture to be more like Apple and the Open Software Movement.Don't get me wrong. This is just a bit of history from someone who used to program on an IBM 360 (system programming, not problem programming) and then on several iterations of Mainframes and then (for my own pleasure) on an IMSAI 8080 (my egg frier, I used to call it) and then on various PC's until I fell in love with the Mac Plus. And the Performas. And the PPC Macs. And the iMac. I do my MMORPG on a custom system (which is getting long on the tooth and I am thinking on upgrading) which has nothing to do with Apple, so please, don't think of me as an Apple fanatic; just a Personal Computer fanatic who is also an Apple lover. I kept my IMSAI until I couldn't find parts for it anymore, just as I kept my Mac Plus until I realized I wasn't using it anymore, just as I kept a (recreated, with some friends) IBM 360 in my basement until I couldn't justify the electricity costs. Just as I keep my QuickSilver because I use it to run the old GraphicConverter and several applications which run under Mac OS 9. And you, Mr. Helm, should trace that piece of software until you re-link it. Or eliminate your login items and reintroduce them one-by-one until the problem is reproduced. Or… Well, there are so many ways to have fun with it. Dig into it, man! Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. From: "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:56 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   Yes 1984 on my little apple }{From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:31 PMTo: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   Apple is slap dash in their software - starting after Panther I read often enough. Tell me if after any recent updates that the computer gets slower - annoyingly sluggish unresponsive - when was Apple introduced anyhow? 1984 Superbowl? From: Alan Fry <ajf@afco.demon.co.uk> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:21:37 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events?   You should find 'System Events.app' in '/System/Library/CoreSevices/'. Usually an error message of the kind "Where is xyz.app?' comes from an AppleScript which for some reason or another cannot find the app for which the script is calling. I have no idea the script might be in this case nor why it cannot find System Events. Since the error shows up on start-up it may perhaps be associated with one of the 'Login Items' perhaps.Alan FryOn 22 Sep 201305:26, at   05:26, Nelsn Helm wrote:  When I start up my computer, I get a window that says "Where is System Events.app?" Does that have anything to do with GC? I cannot find an app with a name including either "System" or "Events". _____________________ Nelsn Helm 4112 Massie Av 3 Louisville, KY 40207-2179
Peter Fackelmann

Post by Peter Fackelmann »

We had a Personal Computer long before IBM and Apple in 1977. It was a "Cougar" built by some IBM refugees. It had 4 K, and we ran orders, invoices and stock. Programs were built in Assembler. After one year we upgraded to 8K and ran stock order optimising (at this time Siemens needed 80K for that). I still admire our programmers. They were finished before the printer could deliver the invoice forms. At the same time one of our owner companies installed a midsize IBM and weren't able to write invoices for 7 months. Regards Peter Am 23.09.2013 um 21:20 schrieb Roberto Manuel Latorre: > > > Yes, it was a full IBM 360 Model II 64KB of memory, with triphasic current installed at a big cost on the basement. Air Conditioning that basement was next to impossible. It had one very old, not very reliable drum disk unit, and a 5MB regular Hard Disk Drive (33inch diameter, four plates.) and a 3420 (twin) tape drive unit. Also a perforated card read/write unit, which had the I/O controller for all the other items, although we didn't use it as card read/write, since we used magnetic tapes -and keypunch-to-tape in order to do input. The other guys, as is wont to happen, some moved, some lost interest, you know, just life. One of us took everything out over a weekend, and that was the end of an expensive, exhilarating, around 18 months adventure. I didn't follow up on what happened with the Mainframe, but I had, for a time, a somewhat coherent emulation of a 360 running on a Mac. Just nostalgia, though. > > MMORPG means M assively M ulti-player O nline R ole P laying G ame. I am up to all kinds of nerdy adolescents, and kicking butt. > > > > > Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. > > From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> > To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 11:20 AM > Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? > > OMG you are not serious a real IBM 360? > > That thing used many kilowatts per hour... > > And you must have an olympic basement too! > > I used to work as a 'gopher' for a company processing co-pays for blue cross when, in say, 1986 they rented a bldg. to house a IBM 360 with all the stuff in the movies too.. It was large thing. A tech to service said it was small scale integration tech. He used mouse traps and swept out the dust of it. > > I do appreciate your comments - but the letters MMORPG mean? > > Do you actually suppose Wozniack programmed himself, the Apple I, the beginner? > > I suppose differently. > > From: Roberto Manuel Latorre <ronin55calo@yahoo.com> > To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 7:57:55 AM > Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? > > > Macintosh revolutionized the Personal Computer world on 1984. But Apple also revolutionized the Personal Computer world much earlier, in 1976, when the three Steves (Allen, Jobs, Wozniak) created the Apple I. And people started using VisiCalc on their Apple II PC's. And shortly later, both Excel & Word were created by Microsoft for the Apple II, further creating a serious competitor (destroyer?) to the Mainframe, and placing the PC in the consciousness of American Business as a serious tool, and inspiring IBM to shoot itself in the foot with their "IBM PC," which in turn spawned all the other, mostly useless PC's, and the rise of Microsoft as the "popular" (as in "cockroaches are very abundant, so they are popular") Software Maker, setting the whole programming enterprise back decades, until the Mac OS X put Unix (and, without intending it, Linux) on the Map, causing people to again demand quality on their software. Then Apple revolutionized the Publishing world with the little Macintosh, which created several hitherto unknown lines of business and Adobe & their siblings. And then Apple revolutionized the Music industry, and the portable industry, and, and, and… > > Oh, and it was Bill Gates—after leaving Microsoft—who said his company was -had always been- slapdash on its software (he used the words "bad quality software") and needed to change its culture to be more like Apple and the Open Software Movement. > > Don't get me wrong. > > This is just a bit of history from someone who used to program on an IBM 360 (system programming, not problem programming) and then on several iterations of Mainframes and then (for my own pleasure) on an IMSAI 8080 (my egg frier, I used to call it) and then on various PC's until I fell in love with the Mac Plus. And the Performas. And the PPC Macs. And the iMac. > > I do my MMORPG on a custom system (which is getting long on the tooth and I am thinking on upgrading) which has nothing to do with Apple, so please, don't think of me as an Apple fanatic; just a Personal Computer fanatic who is also an Apple lover. I kept my IMSAI until I couldn't find parts for it anymore, just as I kept my Mac Plus until I realized I wasn't using it anymore, just as I kept a (recreated, with some friends) IBM 360 in my basement until I couldn't justify the electricity costs. Just as I keep my QuickSilver because I use it to run the old GraphicConverter and several applications which run under Mac OS 9. > > And you, Mr. Helm, should trace that piece of software until you re-link it. Or eliminate your login items and reintroduce them one-by-one until the problem is reproduced. Or… Well, there are so many ways to have fun with it. Dig into it, man! > > Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. > > From: "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> > To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:56 PM > Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? > > > Yes 1984 on my little apple }{ > > From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> > Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:31 PM > To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? > > > Apple is slap dash in their software - starting after Panther I read often enough. Tell me if after any recent updates that the computer gets slower - annoyingly sluggish unresponsive - when was Apple introduced anyhow? 1984 Superbowl? > > > From: Alan Fry <ajf@afco.demon.co.uk> > To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:21:37 PM > Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? > > > You should find 'System Events.app' in '/System/Library/CoreSevices/'. Usually an error message of the kind "Where is xyz.app?' comes from an AppleScript which for some reason or another cannot find the app for which the script is calling. I have no idea the script might be in this case nor why it cannot find System Events. Since the error shows up on start-up it may perhaps be associated with one of the 'Login Items' perhaps. > > Alan Fry > > > On 22 Sep 201305:26, at 05:26, Nelsn Helm wrote: > >> >> When I start up my computer, I get a window that says "Where is System Events.app?" Does that have anything to do with GC? I cannot find an app with a name including either "System" or "Events". >> _____________________ >> Nelsn Helm >> 4112 Massie Av 3 >> Louisville, KY 40207-2179 >> > > > > > > > > > > > >
dknodel@swbell.net

Post by dknodel@swbell.net »

I had visicalc It was a fun application On 9/24/13 6:05 AM, "Peter Fackelmann" <pfackelmann@gmx.net> wrote: >We had a Personal Computer long before IBM and Apple in 1977. >It was a "Cougar" built by some IBM refugees. >It had 4 K, and we ran orders, invoices and stock. >Programs were built in Assembler. >After one year we upgraded to 8K and ran stock order optimising (at this >time Siemens needed 80K for that). >I still admire our programmers. >They were finished before the printer could deliver the invoice forms. > >At the same time one of our owner companies installed a midsize IBM and >weren't able to write invoices for 7 months. > >Regards > >Peter > > >Am 23.09.2013 um 21:20 schrieb Roberto Manuel Latorre: > >> >> >> Yes, it was a full IBM 360 Model II 64KB of memory, with triphasic >>current installed at a big cost on the basement. Air Conditioning that >>basement was next to impossible. It had one very old, not very reliable >>drum disk unit, and a 5MB regular Hard Disk Drive (33inch diameter, four >>plates.) and a 3420 (twin) tape drive unit. Also a perforated card >>read/write unit, which had the I/O controller for all the other items, >>although we didn't use it as card read/write, since we used magnetic >>tapes -and keypunch-to-tape in order to do input. The other guys, as is >>wont to happen, some moved, some lost interest, you know, just life. One >>of us took everything out over a weekend, and that was the end of an >>expensive, exhilarating, around 18 months adventure. I didn't follow up >>on what happened with the Mainframe, but I had, for a time, a somewhat >>coherent emulation of a 360 running on a Mac. Just nostalgia, though. >> >> MMORPG means M assively M ulti-player O nline R ole P laying G ame. I >>am up to all kinds of nerdy adolescents, and kicking butt. >> >> >> >> >> Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. >> >> From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> >> To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> >> Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 11:20 AM >> Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? >> >> OMG you are not serious a real IBM 360? >> >> That thing used many kilowatts per hour... >> >> And you must have an olympic basement too! >> >> I used to work as a 'gopher' for a company processing co-pays for blue >>cross when, in say, 1986 they rented a bldg. to house a IBM 360 with all >>the stuff in the movies too.. It was large thing. A tech to service said >>it was small scale integration tech. He used mouse traps and swept out >>the dust of it. >> >> I do appreciate your comments - but the letters MMORPG mean? >> >> Do you actually suppose Wozniack programmed himself, the Apple I, the >>beginner? >> >> I suppose differently. >> >> From: Roberto Manuel Latorre <ronin55calo@yahoo.com> >> To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> >> Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 7:57:55 AM >> Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? >> >> >> Macintosh revolutionized the Personal Computer world on 1984. But Apple >>also revolutionized the Personal Computer world much earlier, in 1976, >>when the three Steves (Allen, Jobs, Wozniak) created the Apple I. And >>people started using VisiCalc on their Apple II PC's. And shortly later, >>both Excel & Word were created by Microsoft for the Apple II, further >>creating a serious competitor (destroyer?) to the Mainframe, and placing >>the PC in the consciousness of American Business as a serious tool, and >>inspiring IBM to shoot itself in the foot with their "IBM PC," which in >>turn spawned all the other, mostly useless PC's, and the rise of >>Microsoft as the "popular" (as in "cockroaches are very abundant, so >>they are popular") Software Maker, setting the whole programming >>enterprise back decades, until the Mac OS X put Unix (and, without >>intending it, Linux) on the Map, causing people to again demand quality >>on their software. Then Apple revolutionized the Publishing world with >>the little Macintosh, which created several hitherto unknown lines of >>business and Adobe & their siblings. And then Apple revolutionized the >>Music industry, and the portable industry, and, and, andŠ >> >> Oh, and it was Bill Gates‹after leaving Microsoft‹who said his company >>was -had always been- slapdash on its software (he used the words "bad >>quality software") and needed to change its culture to be more like >>Apple and the Open Software Movement. >> >> Don't get me wrong. >> >> This is just a bit of history from someone who used to program on an >>IBM 360 (system programming, not problem programming) and then on >>several iterations of Mainframes and then (for my own pleasure) on an >>IMSAI 8080 (my egg frier, I used to call it) and then on various PC's >>until I fell in love with the Mac Plus. And the Performas. And the PPC >>Macs. And the iMac. >> >> I do my MMORPG on a custom system (which is getting long on the tooth >>and I am thinking on upgrading) which has nothing to do with Apple, so >>please, don't think of me as an Apple fanatic; just a Personal Computer >>fanatic who is also an Apple lover. I kept my IMSAI until I couldn't >>find parts for it anymore, just as I kept my Mac Plus until I realized I >>wasn't using it anymore, just as I kept a (recreated, with some friends) >>IBM 360 in my basement until I couldn't justify the electricity costs. >>Just as I keep my QuickSilver because I use it to run the old >>GraphicConverter and several applications which run under Mac OS 9. >> >> And you, Mr. Helm, should trace that piece of software until you >>re-link it. Or eliminate your login items and reintroduce them >>one-by-one until the problem is reproduced. OrŠ Well, there are so many >>ways to have fun with it. Dig into it, man! >> >> Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. >> >> From: "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> >> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com >> Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:56 PM >> Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? >> >> >> Yes 1984 on my little apple }{ >> >> From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> >> Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> >> Date: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:31 PM >> To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> >> Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? >> >> >> Apple is slap dash in their software - starting after Panther I read >>often enough. Tell me if after any recent updates that the computer gets >>slower - annoyingly sluggish unresponsive - when was Apple introduced >>anyhow? 1984 Superbowl? >> >> >> From: Alan Fry <ajf@afco.demon.co.uk> >> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com >> Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:21:37 PM >> Subject: Re: [gcmac] System Events? >> >> >> You should find 'System Events.app' in '/System/Library/CoreSevices/'. >>Usually an error message of the kind "Where is xyz.app?' comes from an >>AppleScript which for some reason or another cannot find the app for >>which the script is calling. I have no idea the script might be in this >>case nor why it cannot find System Events. Since the error shows up on >>start-up it may perhaps be associated with one of the 'Login Items' >>perhaps. >> >> Alan Fry >> >> >> On 22 Sep 201305:26, at 05:26, Nelsn Helm wrote: >> >>> >>> When I start up my computer, I get a window that says "Where is System >>>Events.app?" Does that have anything to do with GC? I cannot find an >>>app with a name including either "System" or "Events". >>> _____________________ >>> Nelsn Helm >>> 4112 Massie Av 3 >>> Louisville, KY 40207-2179 >>> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > >------------------------------------ > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Nelsn Helm

Post by Nelsn Helm »

Thank you very much. This looks  promising.Nelson On Sep 22, 2013, at 12:00 PM, Daniel W. Johnson <argus@acm.org> wrote:   On 2013-09-22 00:26, Nelsn Helm wrote: > When I start up my computer, I get a window that says "Where is System Events.app?" Does that have anything to do with GC? I cannot find an app with a name including either "System" or "Events". On my system, that's in /System/Library/CoreServices, and is marked "Copyright © 2001-2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved." -- Daniel W. Johnson panoptes@iquest.net http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/ 039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W _____________________Nelsn Helm4112 Massie Av 3Louisville, KY 40207-2179