Re: Re System Events

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Jack R. Noel

Post by Jack R. Noel »

Hmm, first let me say I'm glad one of our GraphicConverter group members at least has a hopeful suggestion for curing those System Events error messages and glad it didn't involve GraphicConverter as well. But I'm afraid I'm one of those Mac users who has wandered off Apple's Memory Lane. I haven't "betrayed" Apple, I still exclusively buy & use Macs. But I have grown tired as a non-programer / no-technician of having to chase down problems and sometimes spend days re-familiarizing myself with the newest "10 Point X Insanely Great Mac OS." My solution to having to solve Apple's software flaws FOR them is: I now buy a Mac Pro about every six years. But, with their latest "Waste Basket Mac Pro" - it appears Apple has removed the advantages of having a many-times-upgradable "tower design" Mac. Since I bought a ($2500+) Mac Pro just months before Apple introduced its Cylindrical Thingy Mac Pro, it looks like I'm on my last cycle with Mac computers. Do I remember the IBM 360? Sure I do: My new wife worked at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research in the 70s. In their building - they had a basement filled with 360s. That was an impressive sight. I'm now a retired business executive but I claim credit for having told my wife that she and the University had to "solve" the problem of her going into Ann Arbor at 10PM to submit her computer jobs and not returning home until 2AM (the time it took to run her jobs). They answered my "firm request" by putting a computer terminal (connected by phone line to the ISR computer center 8 miles away) in "my study." So I contributed in that way to the then embryonic "Digital Commuting Movement." It was kinda funny because when I brought up this idea (which would eliminate the need for my new and beautiful wife to be alone at night on the U of M campus) the reaction was, "Hey you can't do.... oh wait, I think we can!!" That's how new the idea was circa 1977. But what about my own career and Macs / computers? I was at the time "Assistant to the Director of Operations" (and head of Purchasing). And my boss, the D-of-O, had a son who was an engineer who had been introduced to Apple computers via his job with the then ONLY source of miniaturized jet engines for things like the "Snark" (early version of "guided missiles" like the Tomahawk missile used against Iraq in Desert Storm) - and now known generically as "armed drones." Anyway, thanks to my boss's son and me: our company transitioned to computerized accounting and inventory-tracking several years ahead of the rest of the country. And my own history of Life With A Mac? That didn't really start until after Windows 95 "shook the PC World." My first Mac was a Mac SE - given to me by a friend who was / is an MIT grad and head of a multi-state telecommunications & Mac Consultant business, based in the San Francisco Bay Area. I felt the same thrill shared by many when that little box with its 9-inch black & white screen booted up while displaying the "Smiling Mac" logo. That was a 1984 version of the Macintosh. And yes, we all remember that eye-catching but somewhat mystifying Super Bowl Commercial. I was utterly enthralled with that little Mac - but 18 months later I happened to pass by a yard sale at a U of M student apartment building and spotted (I couldn't believe my eyes) A MAC LC III! I had the young owner turn it on, it booted and I checked the memory & hard drive capacity: it had 8 Megabytes if memory!!, an astounding 500 Megabyte (upgraded) hard drive!! OMG - only $55.00 USD! And by Dec. 2000 (seems ages ago) I had bought a "teardrop" Mac of my own (iMac DV). Now I was a mainstream Mac fanatic - EVERYONE knew what a Mac looked like, thanks to it being featured in TV series, in movies and because many businesses proudly equipped their offices with these colorful, "modernistic" Macs. At the time I was enthusiastic and accomplished at tearing into Macs and "solving software problems" and proud of my reputation as a Mac Geek and "Level III Helper" on Apple's Help Forum. But that, exactly, is what led to me becoming tired of solving Mac problems. See, it finally dawned on me that I was only feeding my own ego (without pay) and serving Apple's "need" to have customers who didn't mind also being recruited as unpaid consultants and technicians. Starting my own business as a photo-restorer using Photoshop played a key role in that realization: I NEEDED NOT to be always solving Apple's problems - I NEEDED to work for my own interest and profit. I needed a TOOL which is frustration-free and works reliably, day in and day out.
dknodel@swbell.net

Post by dknodel@swbell.net »

My first computer was an apple}{ didn't even come with a monitor – had to 'borrow' a monitor from work - the green screen kind…A roaring 48 kb of memory – they had just started selling more than 16 kb of  RAMOH and a stupid tape drive was a piece of shit (sry for french) -  disks came a few months later 8" and later 5 1/4" 'floppies' and then finally the little 3.5s hard cased disksFrom: "Jack R. Noel" <macnoel1@comcast.net>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:54 AMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [gcmac] RE: Re System Events   Hmm, first let me say I'm glad one of our GraphicConverter group members at least has a hopeful suggestion for curing those System Events error messages and glad it didn't involve GraphicConverter as well. But I'm afraid I'm one of those Mac users who has wandered off Apple's Memory Lane. I haven't "betrayed" Apple, I still exclusively buy & use Macs. But I have grown tired as a non-programer / no-technician of having to chase down problems and sometimes spend days re-familiarizing myself with the newest "10 Point X Insanely Great Mac OS." My solution to having to solve Apple's software flaws FOR them is: I now buy a Mac Pro about every six years. But, with their latest "Waste Basket Mac Pro" - it appears Apple has removed the advantages of having a many-times-upgradable "tower design" Mac. Since I bought a ($2500+) Mac Pro just months before Apple introduced its Cylindrical Thingy Mac Pro, it looks like I'm on my last cycle with Mac computers. Do I remember the IBM 360? Sure I do: My new wife worked at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research in the 70s. In their building - they had a basement filled with 360s. That was an impressive sight. I'm now a retired business executive but I claim credit for having told my wife that she and the University had to "solve" the problem of her going into Ann Arbor at 10PM to submit her computer jobs and not returning home until 2AM (the time it took to run her jobs). They answered my "firm request" by putting a computer terminal (connected by phone line to the ISR computer center 8 miles away) in "my study." So I contributed in that way to the then embryonic "Digital Commuting Movement." It was kinda funny because when I brought up this idea (which would eliminate the need for my new and beautiful wife to be alone at night on the U of M campus) the reaction was, "Hey you can't do.... oh wait, I think we can!!" That's how new the idea was circa 1977. But what about my own career and Macs / computers? I was at the time "Assistant to the Director of Operations" (and head of Purchasing). And my boss, the D-of-O, had a son who was an engineer who had been introduced to Apple computers via his job with the then ONLY source of miniaturized jet engines for things like the "Snark" (early version of "guided missiles" like the Tomahawk missile used against Iraq in Desert Storm) - and now known generically as "armed drones." Anyway, thanks to my boss's son and me: our company transitioned to computerized accounting and inventory-tracking several years ahead of the rest of the country. And my own history of Life With A Mac? That didn't really start until after Windows 95 "shook the PC World." My first Mac was a Mac SE - given to me by a friend who was / is an MIT grad and head of a multi-state telecommunications & Mac Consultant business, based in the San Francisco Bay Area. I felt the same thrill shared by many when that little box with its 9-inch black & white screen booted up while displaying the "Smiling Mac" logo. That was a 1984 version of the Macintosh. And yes, we all remember that eye-catching but somewhat mystifying Super Bowl Commercial. I was utterly enthralled with that little Mac - but 18 months later I happened to pass by a yard sale at a U of M student apartment building and spotted (I couldn't believe my eyes) A MAC LC III! I had the young owner turn it on, it booted and I checked the memory & hard drive capacity: it had 8 Megabytes if memory!!, an astounding 500 Megabyte (upgraded) hard drive!! OMG - only $55.00 USD! And by Dec. 2000 (seems ages ago) I had bought a "teardrop" Mac of my own (iMac DV). Now I was a mainstream Mac fanatic - EVERYONE knew what a Mac looked like, thanks to it being featured in TV series, in movies and because many businesses proudly equipped their offices with these colorful, "modernistic" Macs. At the time I was enthusiastic and accomplished at tearing into Macs and "solving software problems" and proud of my reputation as a Mac Geek and "Level III Helper" on Apple's Help Forum. But that, exactly, is what led to me becoming tired of solving Mac problems. See, it finally dawned on me that I was only feeding my own ego (without pay) and serving Apple's "need" to have customers who didn't mind also being recruited as unpaid consultants and technicians. Starting my own business as a photo-restorer using Photoshop played a key role in that realization: I NEEDED NOT to be always solving Apple's problems - I NEEDED to work for my own interest and profit. I needed a TOOL which is frustration-free and works reliably, day in and day out.
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

I think the greatest problem with Macs are that most have no way to upgrade the video. After a few years you do need that to update your Mac.I have no problems with having to grow additional external hard drives to increase storage. I do wish it would be easy to swap in a SSD for the main drive. That's only needed for the most high-end of software, otherwise you can live with the installed main drive.It would be nice to be able to swap in newer and faster cpu's over time. But I'm not sure that is needed. I'm still using a Sawtooth G4/400 for a certain scsi printer and a related graphics suite.. I'm always amazed at just how fast a pure OS 9.2 system can be.  It won't run todays software, but it sure works very well with the software of its era.I think I could live very well with a new Mac Pro column computer. I foresee wanting to replace it in five or more years. But it may not be a necessary change to a new computer then. I think the video is a modular card on the new Mac Pro, if so, you can replace it with a newer factory video card in the future.  Best to ya...Mike BauersMilwaukee, Wi, USA On Sep 24, 2013, at 12:14 PM, "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> wrote:My first computer was an apple}{ didn't even come with a monitor – had to 'borrow' a monitor from work - the green screen kind…A roaring 48 kb of memory – they had just started selling more than 16 kb of  RAMOH and a stupid tape drive was a piece of shit (sry for french) -  disks came a few months later 8" and later 5 1/4" 'floppies' and then finally the little 3.5s hard cased disksFrom: "Jack R. Noel" <macnoel1@comcast.net>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:54 AMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [gcmac] RE: Re System EventsHmm, first let me say I'm glad one of our GraphicConverter group members at least has a hopeful suggestion for curing those System Events error messages and glad it didn't involve GraphicConverter as well. But I'm afraid I'm one of those Mac users who has wandered off Apple's Memory Lane. I haven't "betrayed" Apple, I still exclusively buy & use Macs. But I have grown tired as a non-programer / no-technician of having to chase down problems and sometimes spend days re-familiarizing myself with the newest "10 Point X Insanely Great Mac OS." My solution to having to solve Apple's software flaws FOR them is: I now buy a Mac Pro about every six years. But, with their latest "Waste Basket Mac Pro" - it appears Apple has removed the advantages of having a many-times-upgradable "tower design" Mac. Since I bought a ($2500+) Mac Pro just months before Apple introduced its Cylindrical Thingy Mac Pro, it looks like I'm on my last cycle with Mac computers. Do I remember the IBM 360? Sure I do: My new wife worked at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research in the 70s. In their building - they had a basement filled with 360s. That was an impressive sight. I'm now a retired business executive but I claim credit for having told my wife that she and the University had to "solve" the problem of her going into Ann Arbor at 10PM to submit her computer jobs and not returning home until 2AM (the time it took to run her jobs). They answered my "firm request" by putting a computer terminal (connected by phone line to the ISR computer center 8 miles away) in "my study." So I contributed in that way to the then embryonic "Digital Commuting Movement." It was kinda funny because when I brought up this idea (which would eliminate the need for my new and beautiful wife to be alone at night on the U of M campus) the reaction was, "Hey you can't do.... oh wait, I think we can!!" That's how new the idea was circa 1977. But what about my own career and Macs / computers? I was at the time "Assistant to the Director of Operations" (and head of Purchasing). And my boss, the D-of-O, had a son who was an engineer who had been introduced to Apple computers via his job with the then ONLY source of miniaturized jet engines for things like the "Snark" (early version of "guided missiles" like the Tomahawk missile used against Iraq in Desert Storm) - and now known generically as "armed drones." Anyway, thanks to my boss's son and me: our company transitioned to computerized accounting and inventory-tracking several years ahead of the rest of the country. And my own history of Life With A Mac? That didn't really start until after Windows 95 "shook the PC World." My first Mac was a Mac SE - given to me by a friend who was / is an MIT grad and head of a multi-state telecommunications & Mac Consultant business, based in the San Francisco Bay Area. I felt the same thrill shared by many when that little box with its 9-inch black & white screen booted up while displaying the "Smiling Mac" logo. That was a 1984 version of the Macintosh. And yes, we all remember that eye-catching but somewhat mystifying Super Bowl Commercial. I was utterly enthralled with that little Mac - but 18 months later I happened to pass by a yard sale at a U of M student apartment building and spotted (I couldn't believe my eyes) A MAC LC III! I had the young owner turn it on, it booted and I checked the memory & hard drive capacity: it had 8 Megabytes if memory!!, an astounding 500 Megabyte (upgraded) hard drive!! OMG - only $55.00 USD! And by Dec. 2000 (seems ages ago) I had bought a "teardrop" Mac of my own (iMac DV). Now I was a mainstream Mac fanatic - EVERYONE knew what a Mac looked like, thanks to it being featured in TV series, in movies and because many businesses proudly equipped their offices with these colorful, "modernistic" Macs. At the time I was enthusiastic and accomplished at tearing into Macs and "solving software problems" and proud of my reputation as a Mac Geek and "Level III Helper" on Apple's Help Forum. But that, exactly, is what led to me becoming tired of solving Mac problems. See, it finally dawned on me that I was only feeding my own ego (without pay) and serving Apple's "need" to have customers who didn't mind also being recruited as unpaid consultants and technicians. Starting my own business as a photo-restorer using Photoshop played a key role in that realization: I NEEDED NOT to be always solving Apple's problems - I NEEDED to work for my own interest and profit. I needed a TOOL which is frustration-free and works reliably, day in and day out.
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

I had a 2000 laptop 250 mHzthen an iBook 2004Apple IICMacBook 2009 present oneTo be candid I am disappointed at the overall speed of this one against the 2000 MacBook pro. I notice marginal speed; a little screen brightness improvement.And memory problems in Snow Leopard - it won't let go of ram!!IBM.. 4 mHz green screen Hercules graphic card 286 DOS 3.3 From: "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:14:35 AM Subject: Re: [gcmac] RE: Re System Events   My first computer was an apple}{ didn't even come with a monitor – had to 'borrow' a monitor from work - the green screen kind…A roaring 48 kb of memory – they had just started selling more than 16 kb of  RAMOH and a stupid tape drive was a piece of shit (sry for french) -  disks came a few months later 8" and later 5 1/4" 'floppies' and then finally the little 3.5s hard cased disksFrom: "Jack R. Noel" <macnoel1@comcast.net>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:54 AMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [gcmac] RE: Re System Events   Hmm, first let me say I'm glad one of our GraphicConverter group members at least has a hopeful suggestion for curing those System Events error messages and glad it didn't involve GraphicConverter as well. But I'm afraid I'm one of those Mac users who has wandered off Apple's Memory Lane. I haven't "betrayed" Apple, I still exclusively buy & use Macs. But I have grown tired as a non-programer / no-technician of having to chase down problems and sometimes spend days re-familiarizing myself with the newest "10 Point X Insanely Great Mac OS." My solution to having to solve Apple's software flaws FOR them is: I now buy a Mac Pro about every six years. But, with their latest "Waste Basket Mac Pro" - it appears Apple has removed the advantages of having a many-times-upgradable "tower design" Mac. Since I bought a ($2500+) Mac Pro just months before Apple introduced its Cylindrical Thingy Mac Pro, it looks like I'm on my last cycle with Mac computers. Do I remember the IBM 360? Sure I do: My new wife worked at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research in the 70s. In their building - they had a basement filled with 360s. That was an impressive sight. I'm now a retired business executive but I claim credit for having told my wife that she and the University had to "solve" the problem of her going into Ann Arbor at 10PM to submit her computer jobs and not returning home until 2AM (the time it took to run her jobs). They answered my "firm request" by putting a computer terminal (connected by phone line to the ISR computer center 8 miles away) in "my study." So I contributed in that way to the then embryonic "Digital Commuting Movement." It was kinda funny because when I brought up this idea (which would eliminate the need for my new and beautiful wife to be alone at night on the U of M campus) the reaction was, "Hey you can't do.... oh wait, I think we can!!" That's how new the idea was circa 1977. But what about my own career and Macs / computers? I was at the time "Assistant to the Director of Operations" (and head of Purchasing). And my boss, the D-of-O, had a son who was an engineer who had been introduced to Apple computers via his job with the then ONLY source of miniaturized jet engines for things like the "Snark" (early version of "guided missiles" like the Tomahawk missile used against Iraq in Desert Storm) - and now known generically as "armed drones." Anyway, thanks to my boss's son and me: our company transitioned to computerized accounting and inventory-tracking several years ahead of the rest of the country. And my own history of Life With A Mac? That didn't really start until after Windows 95 "shook the PC World." My first Mac was a Mac SE - given to me by a friend who was / is an MIT grad and head of a multi-state telecommunications & Mac Consultant business, based in the San Francisco Bay Area. I felt the same thrill shared by many when that little box with its 9-inch black & white screen booted up while displaying the "Smiling Mac" logo. That was a 1984 version of the Macintosh. And yes, we all remember that eye-catching but somewhat mystifying Super Bowl Commercial. I was utterly enthralled with that little Mac - but 18 months later I happened to pass by a yard sale at a U of M student apartment building and spotted (I couldn't believe my eyes) A MAC LC III! I had the young owner turn it on, it booted and I checked the memory & hard drive capacity: it had 8 Megabytes if memory!!, an astounding 500 Megabyte (upgraded) hard drive!! OMG - only $55.00 USD! And by Dec. 2000 (seems ages ago) I had bought a "teardrop" Mac of my own (iMac DV). Now I was a mainstream Mac fanatic - EVERYONE knew what a Mac looked like, thanks to it being featured in TV series, in movies and because many businesses proudly equipped their offices with these colorful, "modernistic" Macs. At the time I was enthusiastic and accomplished at tearing into Macs and "solving software problems" and proud of my reputation as a Mac Geek and "Level III Helper" on Apple's Help Forum. But that, exactly, is what led to me becoming tired of solving Mac problems. See, it finally dawned on me that I was only feeding my own ego (without pay) and serving Apple's "need" to have customers who didn't mind also being recruited as unpaid consultants and technicians. Starting my own business as a photo-restorer using Photoshop played a key role in that realization: I NEEDED NOT to be always solving Apple's problems - I NEEDED to work for my own interest and profit. I needed a TOOL which is frustration-free and works reliably, day in and day out.
Nelsn Helm

Post by Nelsn Helm »

And a cassette with "Lemon Aid" on it. On Sep 24, 2013, at 1:14 PM, "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> wrote:   My first computer was an apple}{ didn't even come with a monitor – had to 'borrow' a monitor from work - the green screen kind…A roaring 48 kb of memory – they had just started selling more than 16 kb of  RAMOH and a stupid tape drive was a piece of shit (sry for french) -  disks came a few months later 8" and later 5 1/4" 'floppies' and then finally the little 3.5s hard cased disksFrom: "Jack R. Noel" <macnoel1@comcast.net>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Tues day, September 24, 2013 9:54 AMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [gcmac] RE: Re System Events  Hmm, first let me say I'm glad one of our GraphicConverter group members at least has a hopeful suggestion for curing those System Events error messages and glad it didn't involve GraphicConverter as well. But I'm afraid I'm one of those Mac users who has wandered off Apple's Memory Lane. I haven't "betrayed" Apple, I still exclusively buy & use Macs. But I have grown tired as a non-programer / no-technician of having to chase down problems and sometimes spend days re-familiarizing myself with the newest "10 Point X Insanely Great Mac OS." My solution to having to solve Apple's software flaws FOR them is: I now buy a Mac Pro about every six years. But, with their latest "Waste Basket Mac Pro" - it appears Apple has removed the advantages of having a many-times-upgradable "tower design" Mac. Since I bought a ($2500+) Mac Pro just months before Apple introduced its Cylindrical Thingy Mac Pro, it looks like I'm on my last cycle with Mac computers. Do I remember the IBM 360? Sure I do: My new wife worked at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research in the 70s. In their building - they had a basement filled with 360s. That was an impressive sight. I'm now a retired business executive but I claim credit for having told my wife that she and the University had to "solve" the problem of her going into Ann Arbor at 10PM to submit her computer jobs and not returning home until 2AM (the time it took to run her jobs). They answered my "firm request" by putting a computer terminal (connected by phone line to the ISR computer center 8 miles away) in "my study." So I contributed in that way to the then embryonic "Digital Commuting Movement." It was kinda funny because when I brought up this idea (which would eliminate the need for my new and beautiful wife to be alone at night on the U of M campus) the reaction was, "Hey you can't do.... oh wait, I think we can!!" That's how new the idea was circa 1977. But what about my own career and Macs / computers? I was at the time "Assistant to the Director of Operations" (and head of Purchasing). And my boss, the D-of-O, had a son who was an engineer who had been introduced to Apple computers via his job with the then ONLY source of miniaturized jet engines for things like the "Snark" (early version of "guided missiles" like the Tomahawk missile used against Iraq in Desert Storm) - and now known generically as "armed drones." Anyway, thanks to my boss's son and me: our company transitioned to computerized accounting and inventory-tracking several years ahead of the rest of the country. And my own history of Life With A Mac? That didn't really start until after Windows 95 "shook the PC World." My first Mac was a Mac SE - given to me by a friend who was / is an MIT grad and head of a multi-state telecommunications & Mac Consultant business, based in the San Francisco Bay Area. I felt the same thrill shared by many when that little box with its 9-inch black & white screen booted up while displaying the "Smiling Mac" logo. That was a 1984 version of the Macintosh. And yes, we all remember that eye-catching but somewhat mystifying Super Bowl Commercial. I was utterly enthralled with that little Mac - but 18 months later I happened to pass by a yard sale at a U of M student apartment building and spotted (I couldn't believe my eyes) A MAC LC III! I had the young owner turn it on, it booted and I checked the memory & hard drive capacity: it had 8 Megabytes if memory!!, an astounding 500 Megabyte (upgraded) hard drive!! OMG - only $55.00 USD! And by Dec. 2000 (seems ages ago) I had bought a "teardrop" Mac of my own (iMac DV). Now I was a mainstream Mac fanatic - EVERYONE knew what a Mac looked like, thanks to it being featured in TV series, in movies and because many businesses proudly equipped their offices with these colorful, "modernistic" Macs. At the time I was enthusiastic and accomplished at tearing into Macs and "solving software problems" and proud of my reputation as a Mac Geek and "Level III Helper" on Apple's Help Forum. But that, exactly, is what led to me becoming tired of solving Mac problems. See, it finally dawned on me that I was only feeding my own ego (without pay) and serving Apple's "need" to have customers who didn't mind also being recruited as unpaid consultants and technicians. Starting my own business as a photo-restorer using Photoshop played a key role in that realization: I NEEDED NOT to be always solving Apple's problems - I NEEDED to work for my own interest and profit. I needed a TOOL which is frustration-free and works reliably, day in and day out. _____________________Nelsn Helm4112 Massie Av 3Louisville, KY 40207-2179
David Kelly

Post by David Kelly »

Attachments :On Sep 24, 2013, at 3:40 PM, Nelsn Helm <helmkyny@clockwinders.net> wrote: > And a cassette with "Lemon Aid" on it. Remember FID when we finally got DOS? Fishhead In Disguise. -- David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net ============================================================ Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.
David Kelly

Post by David Kelly »

Attachments :On Sep 24, 2013, at 12:14 PM, dknodel@swbell.net wrote: > My first computer was an apple}{ didn't even come with a monitor – had to 'borrow' a monitor from work - the green screen kind… > A roaring 48 kb of memory – they had just started selling more than 16 kb of RAM > OH and a stupid tape drive was a piece of shit (sry for french) - disks came a few months later 8" and later 5 1/4" 'floppies' and then finally the little 3.5s hard cased disks Apple never did 8" for the Apple ][. The 5-1/4" were initially 80 or 90 kbytes but shortly after introduction an upgrade replacing a chip on the controller card brought capacity up to 140 kbytes! Apple's only double-sided 5-1/4" were the Twiggy drives in the first generation Lisa. Rana, an aftermarket company, made double sided, and double cylindered 5-1/4's for the Apple ][, //e, and //gs. They may even have worked on the external port of //c because they selected top/bottom head by selecting two step motor phases 180° apart. A+C for one side, B+D for the other. Quite easy with the standard controller. -- David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net ============================================================ Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.
Dominick Frank Issi

Post by Dominick Frank Issi »

Well ... I guess I'm what you can call "ambidextrous" as I can use the Mac and Windoz interchangeably. But I spit out half my coffee cup on that " I needed a TOOL which is frustration-free and works reliably, day in and day out." quote! I know of NO computer that'll give you that ... unless you don't want much. The Mac is pretty much error free until you begin to "push-the-envelope" on what you want to accomplish. I've hand-held more than my share of end users over Windoz ... to include a WHOLE HOST with Win 8 ... a fiasco of grand magnitude! I don't know of ONE computer magazine that's heaped ANY praise upon it.The greatest problem with technology today is that change is constant and with increasing magnitude and proliferation. Frank Markus remarked in his MotorTrend blog, that "Google’s former CEO Eric Schmidt once quipped that humanity had recorded only 5 exabytes of data from the dawn of man through 2003, and that by 2009 we were logging that much new data every two days. At the recent Telematics Detroit show, I got some automotive perspective on these numbers. According to Talksum, a big-data and vehicle communications firm, the typical new car today generates 15 gigabytes of information per hour—a number that’s climbing as sensors proliferate." So ... that means to you and me that we're quickly approaching that we're going to quickly load the government's yottabyte of data facility in Bluffdale, UT! AND ... we're going to have to figure a way to manipulate it into information. I'm guessing that'll happen in yours and mine lifetime. So let's hear again about "frustration free"! :-)Take Care///Dominick     On Sep 24, 2013, at 4:40 PM, Nelsn Helm wrote:   And a cassette with "Lemon Aid" on it.On Sep 24, 2013, at 1:14 PM, "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> wrote:   My first computer was an apple}{ didn't even come with a monitor – had to 'borrow' a monitor from work - the green screen kind…A roaring 48 kb of memory – they had just started selling more than 16 kb of  RAMOH and a stupid tape drive was a piece of shit (sry for french) -  disks came a few months later 8" and later 5 1/4" 'floppies' and then finally the little 3.5s hard cased disksFrom: "Jack R. Noel" <macnoel1@comcast.net>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Tues day, September 24, 2013 9:54 AMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [gcmac] RE: Re System Events  Hmm, first let me say I'm glad one of our GraphicConverter group members at least has a hopeful suggestion for curing those System Events error messages and glad it didn't involve GraphicConverter as well. But I'm afraid I'm one of those Mac users who has wandered off Apple's Memory Lane. I haven't "betrayed" Apple, I still exclusively buy & use Macs. But I have grown tired as a non-programer / no-technician of having to chase down problems and sometimes spend days re-familiarizing myself with the newest "10 Point X Insanely Great Mac OS." My solution to having to solve Apple's software flaws FOR them is: I now buy a Mac Pro about every six years. But, with their latest "Waste Basket Mac Pro" - it appears Apple has removed the advantages of having a many-times-upgradable "tower design" Mac. Since I bought a ($2500+) Mac Pro just months before Apple introduced its Cylindrical Thingy Mac Pro, it looks like I'm on my last cycle with Mac computers. Do I remember the IBM 360? Sure I do: My new wife worked at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research in the 70s. In their building - they had a basement filled with 360s. That was an impressive sight. I'm now a retired business executive but I claim credit for having told my wife that she and the University had to "solve" the problem of her going into Ann Arbor at 10PM to submit her computer jobs and not returning home until 2AM (the time it took to run her jobs). They answered my "firm request" by putting a computer terminal (connected by phone line to the ISR computer center 8 miles away) in "my study." So I contributed in that way to the then embryonic "Digital Commuting Movement." It was kinda funny because when I brought up this idea (which would eliminate the need for my new and beautiful wife to be alone at night on the U of M campus) the reaction was, "Hey you can't do.... oh wait, I think we can!!" That's how new the idea was circa 1977. But what about my own career and Macs / computers? I was at the time "Assistant to the Director of Operations" (and head of Purchasing). And my boss, the D-of-O, had a son who was an engineer who had been introduced to Apple computers via his job with the then ONLY source of miniaturized jet engines for things like the "Snark" (early version of "guided missiles" like the Tomahawk missile used against Iraq in Desert Storm) - and now known generically as "armed drones." Anyway, thanks to my boss's son and me: our company transitioned to computerized accounting and inventory-tracking several years ahead of the rest of the country. And my own history of Life With A Mac? That didn't really start until after Windows 95 "shook the PC World." My first Mac was a Mac SE - given to me by a friend who was / is an MIT grad and head of a multi-state telecommunications & Mac Consultant business, based in the San Francisco Bay Area. I felt the same thrill shared by many when that little box with its 9-inch black & white screen booted up while displaying the "Smiling Mac" logo. That was a 1984 version of the Macintosh. And yes, we all remember that eye-catching but somewhat mystifying Super Bowl Commercial. I was utterly enthralled with that little Mac - but 18 months later I happened to pass by a yard sale at a U of M student apartment building and spotted (I couldn't believe my eyes) A MAC LC III! I had the young owner turn it on, it booted and I checked the memory & hard drive capacity: it had 8 Megabytes if memory!!, an astounding 500 Megabyte (upgraded) hard drive!! OMG - only $55.00 USD! And by Dec. 2000 (seems ages ago) I had bought a "teardrop" Mac of my own (iMac DV). Now I was a mainstream Mac fanatic - EVERYONE knew what a Mac looked like, thanks to it being featured in TV series, in movies and because many businesses proudly equipped their offices with these colorful, "modernistic" Macs. At the time I was enthusiastic and accomplished at tearing into Macs and "solving software problems" and proud of my reputation as a Mac Geek and "Level III Helper" on Apple's Help Forum. But that, exactly, is what led to me becoming tired of solving Mac problems. See, it finally dawned on me that I was only feeding my own ego (without pay) and serving Apple's "need" to have customers who didn't mind also being recruited as unpaid consultants and technicians. Starting my own business as a photo-restorer using Photoshop played a key role in that realization: I NEEDED NOT to be always solving Apple's problems - I NEEDED to work for my own interest and profit. I needed a TOOL which is frustration-free and works reliably, day in and day out. _____________________Nelsn Helm4112 Massie Av 3Louisville, KY 40207-2179
Christopher Stone

Re: System Events

Post by Christopher Stone »

Hey Folks, For goodness sake. This is a GraphicConverter list. Please let this thread die... ~~ Best Regards, Christopher Stone
Ed Foskey

Post by Ed Foskey »

I learned on an old mainframe system in college and then was introduced to an Apple IIe in 1986 (using Appleworks and some really cool games on truly floppy disks). The first computer I bought was a Vtech Laser 128 (Apple IIe clone) in 1988.My second computer was a Mac Performa 200My third was a Mac Performa 400My fourth was a Mac Performa Power PC (forget the number). At that time, I also bought a PowerBook Duo (again, I cannot remember the number)Then, I got a first generation iMac in 1998.After that, because of my work, in 2002, I bought an HP Laptop and then a Dell Tower.In 2012, I returned to the Mac family with an iMac, Macbook Air, and Macbook Pro for my daughter. On Sep 24, 2013, at 4:40 PM, Nelsn Helm <helmkyny@clockwinders.net> wrote:   And a cassette with "Lemon Aid" on it.On Sep 24, 2013, at 1:14 PM, "dknodel@swbell.net" <dknodel@swbell.net> wrote:   My first computer was an apple}{ didn't even come with a monitor – had to 'borrow' a monitor from work - the green screen kind…A roaring 48 kb of memory – they had just started selling more than 16 kb of  RAMOH and a stupid tape drive was a piece of shit (sry for french) -  disks came a few months later 8" and later 5 1/4" 'floppies' and then finally the little 3.5s hard cased disksFrom: "Jack R. Noel" <macnoel1@comcast.net>Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Tues day, September 24, 2013 9:54 AMTo: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [gcmac] RE: Re System Events  Hmm, first let me say I'm glad one of our GraphicConverter group members at least has a hopeful suggestion for curing those System Events error messages and glad it didn't involve GraphicConverter as well. But I'm afraid I'm one of those Mac users who has wandered off Apple's Memory Lane. I haven't "betrayed" Apple, I still exclusively buy & use Macs. But I have grown tired as a non-programer / no-technician of having to chase down problems and sometimes spend days re-familiarizing myself with the newest "10 Point X Insanely Great Mac OS." My solution to having to solve Apple's software flaws FOR them is: I now buy a Mac Pro about every six years. But, with their latest "Waste Basket Mac Pro" - it appears Apple has removed the advantages of having a many-times-upgradable "tower design" Mac. Since I bought a ($2500+) Mac Pro just months before Apple introduced its Cylindrical Thingy Mac Pro, it looks like I'm on my last cycle with Mac computers. Do I remember the IBM 360? Sure I do: My new wife worked at the University of Michigan Institute for Social Research in the 70s. In their building - they had a basement filled with 360s. That was an impressive sight. I'm now a retired business executive but I claim credit for having told my wife that she and the University had to "solve" the problem of her going into Ann Arbor at 10PM to submit her computer jobs and not returning home until 2AM (the time it took to run her jobs). They answered my "firm request" by putting a computer terminal (connected by phone line to the ISR computer center 8 miles away) in "my study." So I contributed in that way to the then embryonic "Digital Commuting Movement." It was kinda funny because when I brought up this idea (which would eliminate the need for my new and beautiful wife to be alone at night on the U of M campus) the reaction was, "Hey you can't do.... oh wait, I think we can!!" That's how new the idea was circa 1977. But what about my own career and Macs / computers? I was at the time "Assistant to the Director of Operations" (and head of Purchasing). And my boss, the D-of-O, had a son who was an engineer who had been introduced to Apple computers via his job with the then ONLY source of miniaturized jet engines for things like the "Snark" (early version of "guided missiles" like the Tomahawk missile used against Iraq in Desert Storm) - and now known generically as "armed drones." Anyway, thanks to my boss's son and me: our company transitioned to computerized accounting and inventory-tracking several years ahead of the rest of the country. And my own history of Life With A Mac? That didn't really start until after Windows 95 "shook the PC World." My first Mac was a Mac SE - given to me by a friend who was / is an MIT grad and head of a multi-state telecommunications & Mac Consultant business, based in the San Francisco Bay Area. I felt the same thrill shared by many when that little box with its 9-inch black & white screen booted up while displaying the "Smiling Mac" logo. That was a 1984 version of the Macintosh. And yes, we all remember that eye-catching but somewhat mystifying Super Bowl Commercial. I was utterly enthralled with that little Mac - but 18 months later I happened to pass by a yard sale at a U of M student apartment building and spotted (I couldn't believe my eyes) A MAC LC III! I had the young owner turn it on, it booted and I checked the memory & hard drive capacity: it had 8 Megabytes if memory!!, an astounding 500 Megabyte (upgraded) hard drive!! OMG - only $55.00 USD! And by Dec. 2000 (seems ages ago) I had bought a "teardrop" Mac of my own (iMac DV). Now I was a mainstream Mac fanatic - EVERYONE knew what a Mac looked like, thanks to it being featured in TV series, in movies and because many businesses proudly equipped their offices with these colorful, "modernistic" Macs. At the time I was enthusiastic and accomplished at tearing into Macs and "solving software problems" and proud of my reputation as a Mac Geek and "Level III Helper" on Apple's Help Forum. But that, exactly, is what led to me becoming tired of solving Mac problems. See, it finally dawned on me that I was only feeding my own ego (without pay) and serving Apple's "need" to have customers who didn't mind also being recruited as unpaid consultants and technicians. Starting my own business as a photo-restorer using Photoshop played a key role in that realization: I NEEDED NOT to be always solving Apple's problems - I NEEDED to work for my own interest and profit. I needed a TOOL which is frustration-free and works reliably, day in and day out. _____________________Nelsn Helm4112 Massie Av 3Louisville, KY 40207-2179