Printing problem with Mavericks

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
K. Benoit Evans

Printing problem with Mavericks

Post by K. Benoit Evans »

After installing OS X 10.9 Mavericks about 6 weeks ago, I began having an intermittent problem with GC and printing.I was using GC 8.8 and the printer is a HP Photosmart Premium c410a (which has worked well with GC for at least 2 years).The problem is that the print window does NOT display a preview image and after clicking on the Print button, a blank sheet comes out of the printer.When this first started to happen, the problem was intermittent and restarting GC was enough to avoid the problem for several days or even a week. Sometimes toggling between full-size and fit-to-paper would bring up the print preview and allow printing to succeed.Today, the problem occurred again. I tried restarting GC (still no print preview); restarting the computer (still no print preview); trashing GC prefs and the Application Support fold (still no print preview).I upgraded to GC 8.8.2 but the problem is still present.Do you have any idea what is going on and what I can try to solve the problem? Regards,Benoa�t Evans
K. Benoit Evans

Re: Printing problem with Mavericks

Post by K. Benoit Evans »

I think I found the problem.I deleted and re-installed my printer. Now printing is back to normal.Interestingly, before re-installing the printer, I opened a jpeg that would not preview or print in GC to some other applications. The jpeg showed exactly the same problem in Preview (and the print window was identical to the GC print window). However, the jpeg previewed properly and printed properly in three other applications (whose print window was not like the one in GC and Preview. There was no problem in Firefox, PS Elements or Pixelmator.Since other image apps and word processing apps were sending files to the printer with no problems, I was surprised that the printer installation seemed to be corrupted. Regards,Benoa�t Evans On 2013-12-04, at 19:02, K. Benoit Evans <kevans@videotron.ca> wrote:After installing OS X 10.9 Mavericks about 6 weeks ago, I began having an intermittent problem with GC and printing.I was using GC 8.8 and the printer is a HP Photosmart Premium c410a (which has worked well with GC for at least 2 years).The problem is that the print window does NOT display a preview image and after clicking on the Print button, a blank sheet comes out of the printer.When this first started to happen, the problem was intermittent and restarting GC was enough to avoid the problem for several days or even a week. Sometimes toggling between full-size and fit-to-paper would bring up the print preview and allow printing to succeed.Today, the problem occurred again. I tried restarting GC (still no print preview); restarting the computer (still no print preview); trashing GC prefs and the Application Support fold (still no print preview).I upgraded to GC 8.8.2 but the problem is still present.Do you have any idea what is going on and what I can try to solve the problem?Regards,Benoa�t Evans