GC Version 9/0/1

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Robert Poland

GC Version 9/0/1

Post by Robert Poland »

Thorsten, Another PAID UPGRADE. Goodbye, A long time Paying Beta tester. Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
thorstenlemke

Re: GC Version 9/0/1

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Robert,this is the first paid upgrade after more than three years.The upgrade fee is required to continue the development of the product.Thorsten On 18.12.2013, at 05:47, Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: Thorsten,Another PAID UPGRADE.
Chuck Boody

Post by Chuck Boody »

I think Thorsten that what Robert is objecting to, or at least what concerns me, is that the original product was to be free updates forever.  Then came the request for paid upgrade with your email expressing sorrow at having to do that and, as I recall, again indicating there would be no further costs.  Your product is fine and you do wonderful support and upgrading.  I can't fault that.  What I can fault is any indication that you buy once and are set forever.  Perhaps you might consider some sort of subscription service where a known cost is paid every X period of time and that keeps your ability to update in place.  At the very least you should be willing to state up front how often additional costs to the user can be expected, and approximately what those costs will be.From my own perspective I use GC almost exclusively as the place to store scans done through Twain.  I seldom do much editing in CG.  The main reason is that the tools in iPhoto do a better job with some of the tweaking my photos need, and The organization of photos seems more flexible in iPhoto, and I use the calendar and book making features regularly. .  Finally, iPhoto has suddenly decided not to let you edit a photo already edited in another program without duplicating it.  That means if I edit in GC I must maintain an original, the GC edited photo and then the iPhoto duplicate.  This last bit i certainly not your doing, but you can understand how I get pushed into using iPhoto for the editing.  So, I have to think carefully about continuing to support GC.  I've always been a supporter, and have been using it since version 1 I believe.  I personally paid for rights for an entire school district to use it, and I've paid for updates without complaint.  But I'll have to think carefully again this time.  Fixed income means care even with the small and reasonable expenditures...Thanks for listening to us.  Chuck Boody On Dec 18, 2013, at 1:13 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Dear Robert,this is the first paid upgrade after more than three years.The upgrade fee is required to continue the development of the product.Thorsten On 18.12.2013, at 05:47, Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> wrote:Thorsten,Another PAID UPGRADE.
Lohr McKinstry

Post by Lohr McKinstry »

My issue is that the upgrade fee of $24.95 is the same as the special Christmas price until Dev. 31. So no money off for being a previous purchaser. Lohr
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,I made the discount of the full version because many customers did ask for a switch to the Mac App Store version.The price of the full version will increase on January 1.Thorsten On 18.12.2013, at 13:24, Lohr McKinstry <lohrm@mac.com> wrote: My issue is that the upgrade fee of $24.95 is the same as the special Christmas price until Dev. 31. So no money off for being a previous purchaser.Lohr
Alan Dow

Post by Alan Dow »

If people are putting time and effort into creating great software, they deserve to be paid. Graphic Converter has always been reasonably priced, and a 24.95 upgrade after three years - what's the problem? Yes - I also paid for the lifetime licence in the early days, and yes, that had to change. Without that change, Graphic Converter wouldn't exist. In the circumstances, (having to pay licence fees for .gif and other proprietary formats IIRC?) it was entirely reasonable to ask people to start paying for upgrades. Now what has changed? Have the licence fees magically gone away? I don't think so. Graphic Converter is a vastly improved piece of software which continues to work seamlessly, despite the shifting ground of Operating System changes, and for a very low price. Thankyou Thorsten, I am very happy to pay the upgrade. Alan Dow =============================================== At 1:29 PM +0100 18/12/13, Thorsten Lemke wrote: >Hi, > >I made the discount of the full version because many customers did >ask for a switch to the Mac App Store version. > >The price of the full version will increase on January 1. > >Thorsten > > >On 18.12.2013, at 13:24, Lohr McKinstry ><<mailto:lohrm@mac.com>lohrm@mac.com> wrote: > >>My issue is that the upgrade fee of $24.95 is the same as the >>special Christmas price until Dev. 31. So no money off for being a >>previous purchaser. >> >>Lohr >> > > > >