Upgrade policy?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Robert Gendreau

Upgrade policy?

Post by Robert Gendreau »

I bought GC version 8 recently. Do I have to pay for the upgrade to 9? I probably should have gone with the App Store version, I guess, where upgrades are free…. Rob
rob_gendreau

Re: Upgrade policy?

Post by rob_gendreau »

--- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gendreau <rob.gendreau@...> wrote: > > I bought GC version 8 recently. Do I have to pay for the upgrade to 9? > > I probably should have gone with the App Store version, I guess, where upgrades are free…. > > Rob > Oops. I see that the App Store version is, in effect, a "new" GC9. Hadn't seen that before.
J.J. McVeigh

Post by J.J. McVeigh »

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:25:51 -0800, Robert Gendreau wrote: > I bought GC version 8 recently. Do I have to pay for the upgrade to 9? > > I probably should have gone with the App Store version, I guess, > where upgrades are free…. Agreed. I am in the same boat. John
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

Let's hope your boat doesn't sink... If you search for "GraphicConverter" you might spot two versions. I'm not sure how you get the idea that software purchased via app store (or through other sales channels) comes with free future versions. The same goes with directly bought licences. Yes, a licence. You don't own the software but the right to use that version on a certain number of computers. Which other software fullfills your idea of endless free new versions? And sure enough you always get the newest Mac for free, right? Think twice: how is Thorsten supposed to make a living? He also needs to regularly update his infastructure (e.g. buy a new Mac) and his knowledge so he's able to deliver new versions that run on the newest OS. Also everybody expects some cool new features from time to time. BTW we're talking about less money one will spend at the next stop at his/her favourite petrol station. Carl J.J. McVeigh schrieb am 18.12.13 19:29: > On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:25:51 -0800, Robert Gendreau wrote: > >> I bought GC version 8 recently. Do I have to pay for the upgrade to 9? >> >> I probably should have gone with the App Store version, I guess, >> where upgrades are free…. > > Agreed. I am in the same boat. > > John
J.J. McVeigh

Post by J.J. McVeigh »

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 20:03:53 +0100, Carl von Einem wrote: > Let's hope your boat doesn't sink... > > If you search for "GraphicConverter" you might spot two versions. I'm > not sure how you get the idea that software purchased via app store (or > through other sales channels) comes with free future versions. The same > goes with directly bought licences. Yes, a licence. You don't own the > software but the right to use that version on a certain number of computers. > > Which other software fullfills your idea of endless free new versions? > > And sure enough you always get the newest Mac for free, right? > > Think twice: how is Thorsten supposed to make a living? He also needs to > regularly update his infastructure (e.g. buy a new Mac) and his > knowledge so he's able to deliver new versions that run on the newest > OS. Also everybody expects some cool new features from time to time. > > BTW we're talking about less money one will spend at the next stop at > his/her favourite petrol station. > > Carl I understand that Thorsten needs to make a living. I do not begrudge him that. My only point is that I bought version 8.x in September or October (I would have to check my records, on another computer, to give you the precise purchase date), when my dual G5 Power Mac's cooling system sprung a leak, and I needed to get a new Mac. As a result of needing to get a new Mac, I needed to get a new version of GC. I certainly had no problem paying for a new version. I did not buy the earlier version relying on a promise of endless free upgrades, though it appears that others did. It would seem to me that it would be reasonable to make an accommodation to people who have bought the next-most-recent version within, say, the last 90 days. I did not buy my version through the Apple store. I purchased it directly through Lemkesoft's web site and paid for my (family) license via Kagi. I also purchased an optical disc, again via Kagi. One software developer that does supply an unlimited number of free future upgrades is Hamrick: VueScan, if one pays a bit extra (which I did, a number of years ago). J.J. McVeigh Butler, Maryland, USA
Ed Foskey

Post by Ed Foskey »

I know others will have differing opinions on this. I agree with Carl's post. Thorsten needs to be allowed to make a living and cover his overhead as a business man. I commend him for a find product as well as quality support for his product. I will not be upgrading immediately as I have other financial obligations that are more pressing at the moment.I support the current plan of incremental upgrades being free as he has done in the past (various fixes, etc. to version 8). I also support paying for a new version upgrade to version 9 (as I am confident that we will see many incremental upgrades to version 9 at no additional costs).I own three different graphics and photo editors. I do not know of any that are this powerful for this low of a price.-ed-On Dec 18, 2013, at 2:03 PM, Carl von Einem <einem@gmx.de> wrote: Let's hope your boat doesn't sink...If you search for "GraphicConverter" you might spot two versions. I'm not sure how you get the idea that software purchased via app store (or through other sales channels) comes with free future versions. The same goes with directly bought licences. Yes, a licence. You don't own the software but the right to use that version on a certain number of computers.Which other software fullfills your idea of endless free new versions?And sure enough you always get the newest Mac for free, right?Think twice: how is Thorsten supposed to make a living? He also needs to regularly update his infastructure (e.g. buy a new Mac) and his knowledge so he's able to deliver new versions that run on the newest OS. Also everybody expects some cool new features from time to time.BTW we're talking about less money one will spend at the next stop at his/her favourite petrol station.CarlJ.J. McVeigh schrieb am 18.12.13 19:29:> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:25:51 -0800, Robert Gendreau wrote:>>> I bought GC version 8 recently. Do I have to pay for the upgrade to 9?>>>> I probably should have gone with the App Store version, I guess,>> where upgrades are free….>> Agreed. I am in the same boat.>> John
Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone »

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:25:51 -0800, Robert Gendreau wrote:I bought GC version 8 recently. Do I have to pay for the upgrade to 9?I probably should have gone with the App Store version, I guess, where upgrades are free….______________________________________________________________________Hey Folks,Let's not turn this into a heated and/or longwinded debate.Thorsten has always given a reasonable grace period whereby a recent purchase could be redeemed for the new release.Upgrades are not free on the App-Store - updates are.The way the App-Store works a developer cannot offer upgrades per se.  He has to produce a different product in order to get paid again - hence GraphicConverter 9.I've been doing business with Thorsten since 1994 or so and just bought the upgrade.  I'm not absolutely thrilled about the price or how the upgrade has been presented, but Carl is quite right - Herr Lemke needs to be able to make a living.Keep in mind too that this list is a user-list even though Thorsten's on it.If you have real questions to ask the best place to ask them is the support channel:Thorsten Lemke <support@lemkesoft.com>--Best Regards,Chris
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Chris,many thanks for your words.I e-mailed to all customers who ordered the software on October 1, 2013 or later a new license key free of charge. So, the grace period is around 2 months.This is not possible for Mac App Store customers. Because Apple do not give any customer data to the developers. But the Mac App Store customers can contact me directly with a proof of purchase.Thorsten On 18.12.2013, at 21:04, Christopher Stone <listmeister@thestoneforge.com> wrote: On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:25:51 -0800, Robert Gendreau wrote:I bought GC version 8 recently. Do I have to pay for the upgrade to 9?I probably should have gone with the App Store version, I guess, where upgrades are free….______________________________________________________________________Hey Folks,Let's not turn this into a heated and/or longwinded debate.Thorsten has always given a reasonable grace period whereby a recent purchase could be redeemed for the new release.Upgrades are not free on the App-Store - updates are.The way the App-Store works a developer cannot offer upgrades per se.  He has to produce a different product in order to get paid again - hence GraphicConverter 9.I've been doing business with Thorsten since 1994 or so and just bought the upgrade.  I'm not absolutely thrilled about the price or how the upgrade has been presented, but Carl is quite right - Herr Lemke needs to be able to make a living.Keep in mind too that this list is a user-list even though Thorsten's on it.If you have real questions to ask the best place to ask them is the support channel:Thorsten Lemke <support@lemkesoft.com>--Best Regards,Chris
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

I believe it's 'updates' that are free, and not 'upgrades'. ie : v6.4 to v6.5 and not v6.4 to v7.2 or v8.2 I must have bought GC licenses five or more times over the years. I remind myself that I may have first bought a GC license for the MacPro I bought in 1999, am still using with a certain printer, and just happily kept buying licenses for new versions on the Macs I bought between then and today. Mike Bauers Sent from my iPhone On Dec 18, 2013, at 12:29 PM, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@comcast.net> wrote: > On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:25:51 -0800, Robert Gendreau wrote: > >> I bought GC version 8 recently. Do I have to pay for the upgrade to 9? >> >> I probably should have gone with the App Store version, I guess, >> where upgrades are free…. > > Agreed. I am in the same boat. > > John >
J.J. McVeigh

Post by J.J. McVeigh »

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 21:14:50 +0100, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > I e-mailed to all customers who ordered the software on October 1, > 2013 or later a new license key free of charge. So, the grace period > is around 2 months. That is eminently fair.