GC9--App Store version?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Alan Forkosh

GC9--App Store version?

Post by Alan Forkosh »

Are there any functional or operational differences between the version of Graphic Converter available in the App Store versus the version licensed directly? The reason I ask this is that itappears that I would need to buy a family license if I buy directly (I person--desktop and portable Mac) while from the app store a basic license covers both machines. Alan Forkosh Oakland, CA aforkosh@mac.com http://al4kosh.com
Alexander von Below

Re: GC9--App Store version?

Post by Alexander von Below »

Hi, I can not speak about the license issues, but here are the differences: "The Mac App Store version has some restrictions due the Apple Sandboxing: • no ECW import • no mrSID import • no PhotoCD import • no Next/Previous/Save & Next in the image window • no Split in the Save As dialog • no access to the complete filesystem in the browser - you have to add folder with drag & drop • no access to the dropbox folder" http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/gra ... app-store/ Hope that helps, Alex Am 20.12.2013 um 08:36 schrieb Alan Forkosh <aforkosh@mac.com>: > Are there any functional or operational differences between the version of Graphic Converter available in the App Store versus the version licensed directly? > > The reason I ask this is that itappears that I would need to buy a family license if I buy directly (I person--desktop and portable Mac) while from the app store a basic license covers both machines. > > > Alan Forkosh Oakland, CA > aforkosh@mac.com > http://al4kosh.com > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo Groups Links > > >
csterndk0862

Post by csterndk0862 »

I don't know if GC works the same way, but I have bought DaisyDisk from the AppStore and after installing I downloaded the stand-alone version from the vendor website and it then replaced the AppStore version, becoming licensed and all, and unlocking the Apple "protected" features. In my opinion an elegant way to service AppStore Customers.Should it not work, I think I remember to have read somewhere that you can write Thorsten with your proof of purchase from the AppStore and get the stand-alone version from him (the license, that is).Best wishes,Claus
rob_gendreau

Post by rob_gendreau »

Alan, I'm wondering the same thing. The license is a bit confusing. It says you may install the non-MAS version on a single computer and use it on a single computer. Rather strict, but OK. Then it goes on to say you need to buy another license if you use it on another computer "at the same time," which is language usually associated with software that allows installation on more than one computer as long as it's either only in use on one at one time or by only one user (pretty common; most licenses seem to allow the desktop/laptop setup). I'm guessing that the intent was the latter: laptop and desktop OK for one user. I'd rather buy through the developer than the MAS, but I do need it on both machines as well. Trying to be legit, Rob --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Alan Forkosh <aforkosh@...> wrote: > > Are there any functional or operational differences between the version of Graphic Converter available in the App Store versus the version licensed directly? > > The reason I ask this is that itappears that I would need to buy a family license if I buy directly (I person--desktop and portable Mac) while from the app store a basic license covers both machines. > > > Alan Forkosh Oakland, CA > aforkosh@... > http://al4kosh.com >
gasport99

Post by gasport99 »

I too would much prefer to pay the developer directly rather than give Apple a cut.  I have both an iMac and a MacBook and would like to see a clarification of this point.  I would be doing an upgrade so I am assuming the upgrade price will stay in effect once the non upgrade price goes up.