GC stops responding after opening

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
macmedia1

GC stops responding after opening

Post by macmedia1 »

I have been using a very old version of GC on my 10.6.8 iMac.  I finally updated to 10.9 and downloaded a trial GC 9.  When I open up the program, within a few seconds, I get the spinning beach ball and the program just stops responding.  I tried using a trial GC 8 that I downloaded a while back (but never used) and still the same thing.  I try deleting the preferences to no avail.Anyone have any clues??
thorstenlemke

Re: GC stops responding after opening

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,did you really trash the prefs file?Thorsten On 15.03.2014, at 17:19, macmedia1@yahoo.com wrote: I have been using a very old version of GC on my 10.6.8 iMac.  I finally updated to 10.9 and downloaded a trial GC 9.  When I open up the program, within a few seconds, I get the spinning beach ball and the program just stops responding.  I tried using a trial GC 8 that I downloaded a while back (but never used) and still the same thing.  I try deleting the preferences to no avail.Anyone have any clues??
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

On Mar 15, 2014, at 10:22:AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote: > Hello, > > > did you really trash the prefs file? > > Thorsten > > > On 15.03.2014, at 17:19, macmedia1@yahoo.com wrote: > >> I have been using a very old version of GC on my 10.6.8 iMac. I finally updated to 10.9 and downloaded a trial GC 9. When I open up the program, within a few seconds, I get the spinning beach ball and the program just stops responding. I tried using a trial GC 8 that I downloaded a while back (but never used) and still the same thing. >> >> >> I try deleting the preferences to no avail. >> >> Anyone have any clues?? More recent prefs have a different name. Are you sure you got all of them? Robert Poland Fort Collins CO
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,I did now upload a little tool to trash the prefs:http://www.lemkesoft.org/files/graphicc ... _aid.zipIt does run on 10.6 or later.Thorsten On 15.03.2014, at 17:19, macmedia1@yahoo.com wrote: I have been using a very old version of GC on my 10.6.8 iMac.  I finally updated to 10.9 and downloaded a trial GC 9.  When I open up the program, within a few seconds, I get the spinning beach ball and the program just stops responding.  I tried using a trial GC 8 that I downloaded a while back (but never used) and still the same thing.  I try deleting the preferences to no avail.Anyone have any clues??
John Joseph McVeigh

Post by John Joseph McVeigh »

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 17:33:45 +0100, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > Hello, > > I did now upload a little tool to trash the prefs: > http://www.lemkesoft.org/files/graphicc ... st_aid.zip > > It does run on 10.6 or later. > > Thorsten For some reason, the link got broken. <http://www.lemkesoft.org/files/graphicc ... st_aid.zip> Does this tool delete the preference files associated with both older versions of GC, or only the preference files associated with GC9? John Joseph McVeigh Butler, Maryland USA
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,yes, I clicked here onto the link. It works.Yes, it deletes the prefs of all versions (6.x to 9.x)ThorstenOn 15.03.2014, at 17:38, John Joseph McVeigh <kd4vs@comcast.net> wrote: On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 17:33:45 +0100, Thorsten Lemke wrote:> Hello,> > I did now upload a little tool to trash the prefs:> http://www.lemkesoft.org/files/graphicc ... st_aid.zip> > It does run on 10.6 or later.> > ThorstenFor some reason, the link got broken.<http://www.lemkesoft.org/files/graphicc ... d.zip>Does this tool delete the preference files associated with both older versions of GC, or only the preference files associated with GC9?John Joseph McVeighButler, Maryland USA
macmedia1

Post by macmedia1 »

Just an update - your little program worked perfectly and I was able to get it working.  Thank you so much for your super fast response!I just paid for the program through KagiCheers!Kent
wdydfft

Post by wdydfft »

Apologies  for not starting a new thread....  My version of GC 8.8.2 on OS X snow leopard stops responding, well really it just doesn't  load and the issue just started last week or so. I tried using your GC first Aid app for cleaning preferences and reinstalling  the app from the site to no avail...  I did buy GC 8 from the app store and then traded my licence in to get the upgrades rolled out faster so I tried reinstalling it from the app store and still get the same result. Maybe doing that screwed things up more not sure how the licensing is handled exactly?  I am in a bit of a pickle... need to squeeze another month out of my GC 8/ Snow leopard to finish working a site.  Can I provide any logs to help with diagnosis? Thanks 
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,many thanks for your e-mail.So, you still use 10.6.8?Did you change anything in your OS? Are there any network drives connected? Apologies  for not starting a new thread....  My version of GC 8.8.2 on OS X snow leopard stops responding, well really it just doesn't  load and the issue just started last week or so. I tried using your GC first Aid app for cleaning preferences and reinstalling  the app from the site to no avail...  I did buy GC 8 from the app store and then traded my licence in to get the upgrades rolled out faster so I tried reinstalling it from the app store and still get the same result. Maybe doing that screwed things up more not sure how the licensing is handled exactly?  I am in a bit of a pickle... need to squeeze another month out of my GC 8/ Snow leopard to finish working a site.  Can I provide any logs to help with diagnosis? Thanks 
wdydfft

Post by wdydfft »

Attachments :GC_dump.txtYup still on 10.6.8 nothing changed in the OS. Issues started with GC 8.8.2, I tried upgrading to 8.8.3 tried the first aid app no help. I attached the core dump after running GC for a minute or two.  From the activity monitor GC uses 100% of the CPU and the RAM usage grows linearly I killed the process after a few minutes when it got to over 500+MB...It really did start out of the blue... any ideas?