TIFF-F (Fax) Format

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
aricpedersen

TIFF-F (Fax) Format

Post by aricpedersen »

Hi,I need to be able to convert files into proper TIFF-F (multi-page TIFF using CCITT v3 or v4 compression and with a binary bit depth and of certain particular DPI sizes I believe);http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2306However, the tiff files I save are never in the right format, although I do pick the correct compression.Does anyone have any hints on how to generate valid TIFF-F files with GraphicConverter? 
thorstenlemke

Re: TIFF-F (Fax) Format

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,do you use the threshold function first. Because TIFF-F supports only files with two used colors.ThorstenOn 22.05.2014, at 04:29, aric1@hotmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Hi,I need to be able to convert files into proper TIFF-F (multi-page TIFF using CCITT v3 or v4 compression and with a binary bit depth and of certain particular DPI sizes I believe);http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2306However, the tiff files I save are never in the right format, although I do pick the correct compression.Does anyone have any hints on how to generate valid TIFF-F files with GraphicConverter? . 
aricpedersen

Post by aricpedersen »

Hi,Yes, I convert the file to black and white using threshold. I also saved the file with what I believe is one of the correct DPI settings 204x196, save the tiff both with and without compression to test the file and save the file with and without metadata. It still doesn't work. Faxes done with the Windows Fax viewer seem to work, but I've yet to find any modern Mac software that can generate a valid file I can use.It would be great if there were a TIFF-F file format setting in GC that could take care of the needed conversions much like the old Mac fax software used to.I know that faxes are an outdated technology but there are times when I need to send tiff-f files to people.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,please e-mail your file to lemke@lemkesoft.deThorstenOn 23.05.2014, at 03:48, aric1@hotmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Hi,Yes, I convert the file to black and white using threshold. I also saved the file with what I believe is one of the correct DPI settings 204x196, save the tiff both with and without compression to test the file and save the file with and without metadata. It still doesn't work. Faxes done with the Windows Fax viewer seem to work, but I've yet to find any modern Mac software that can generate a valid file I can use.It would be great if there were a TIFF-F file format setting in GC that could take care of the needed conversions much like the old Mac fax software used to.I know that faxes are an outdated technology but there are times when I need to send tiff-f files to people.
aricpedersen

Post by aricpedersen »

Done.Thank you.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,I received the sample file and made a short tutorial movie:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/267 ... p4Thorsten On 24.05.2014, at 01:48, aric1@hotmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Done.Thank you.