Request for "world file" map support, please?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
larryknight71

Request for "world file" map support, please?

Post by larryknight71 »

Hello, Thorsten;I would like to request a very simple feature that would be of high interest to anyone involved in viewing map files with your excellent program. Are you familiar with "world files" ?These are auxiliary files consisting of nothing more than 6 numbers, which "calibrate" the pixel location of the image to an alternate map coordinate system. It is a standard first used by the mapping company Esri, but is now in widespread use by the larger mapping community.If a world file is provided in the same folder as the image file, the user can then view the "coordinates" of the map system, in addition to the "ruler" units displayed. These map coordinates would probably best be displayed in the information bar at the bottom of the image, rather than in the rulers, as frequently the map coordinates will be very large numbers, and usually should be displayed with 3 digits after the decimal point.  For example, if UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) coordinates are displayed, the Easting is usually 6 digits to the left of the decimal point, and the Northing can have as many as 7 digits to the left of the decimal. I can give an example calculation in another email if needed, but it is a very, very simple calculation to go from X,Y pixel number to MapX, MapY coordinates, based on the 6 numbers in the world file (just a few multiplications and additions).Would you consider implementing this, Thorsten?  There are very, very few programs for the Mac that can read world files and display map coordinates with an image, so this would make your program even more attractive to the GIS and mapping community. Thanks for listening, Thorsten. I can provide you with example files and calculations if needed. Sincerely, Larry KnightMarietta, Georgia, United States
thorstenlemke

Re: Request for "world file" map support, please?

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Larry,please e-mail a sample.Thorsten On 25.05.2014, at 13:36, larryknight71@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Hello, Thorsten;I would like to request a very simple feature that would be of high interest to anyone involved in viewing map files with your excellent program. Are you familiar with "world files" ?These are auxiliary files consisting of nothing more than 6 numbers, which "calibrate" the pixel location of the image to an alternate map coordinate system. It is a standard first used by the mapping company Esri, but is now in widespread use by the larger mapping community.If a world file is provided in the same folder as the image file, the user can then view the "coordinates" of the map system, in addition to the "ruler" units displayed. These map coordinates would probably best be displayed in the information bar at the bottom of the image, rather than in the rulers, as frequently the map coordinates will be very large numbers, and usually should be displayed with 3 digits after the decimal point.  For example, if UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) coordinates are displayed, the Easting is usually 6 digits to the left of the decimal point, and the Northing can have as many as 7 digits to the left of the decimal. I can give an example calculation in another email if needed, but it is a very, very simple calculation to go from X,Y pixel number to MapX, MapY coordinates, based on the 6 numbers in the world file (just a few multiplications and additions).Would you consider implementing this, Thorsten?  There are very, very few programs for the Mac that can read world files and display map coordinates with an image, so this would make your program even more attractive to the GIS and mapping community. Thanks for listening, Thorsten. I can provide you with example files and calculations if needed. Sincerely, Larry KnightMarietta, Georgia, United States
Larry Knight

World File Samples

Post by Larry Knight »

Here you go, Thorsten.  Thank you for looking at these.  Many people who view maps will be very interested in seeing this feature!Larry Knight
thorstenlemke

Re: World File Samples [4 Attachments]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,I added it to the latest BETA:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlSimple enable the coordinate display in the footer of the window.Thorsten On 25.05.2014, at 18:29, Larry Knight larryknight71@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Here you go, Thorsten.  Thank you for looking at these.  Many people who view maps will be very interested in seeing this feature!Larry Knight
Larry Knight

World File Feature - Great!

Post by Larry Knight »

Thorsten; This is great! Thank you very much for implementing this. So far, on all maps that I have tried, your calculations look perfect. I have a suggestion about the formatting of the display for better ease of reading: In your example that you sent to the group, the display says: x,y (map):720333.908,3762664.711 My suggestion is to put two extra spaces after the colon, and also two extra spaces after the comma which separates the x and y values. So, the output would look more like: x,y (map): 720333.908, 3762664.711 I think this will make the output much easier to read. I will start to spread the word about this feature on several web pages that discuss this sort of mapping feature. Thank you again for implementing this, and I hope you have many new sales from geographers and cartographers, as well as hikers and backpackers who read maps with this world file feature. Larry Knight Marietta, Georgia, United States > On Jun 5, 2014, at 7:47 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] wrote: > > Hi, > > I added it to the latest BETA: > http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html > > Simple enable the coordinate display in the footer of the window. > > Thorsten
thorstenlemke

Re: World File Feature - Great!

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Larry,many thanks for your feedback.I added the spaces for the next BETA.Thorsten This is great! Thank you very much for implementing this. So far, on all maps that I have tried, your calculations look perfect.