workflow: DSLR camera SD card with RAW & JPG images

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
markhz49

workflow: DSLR camera SD card with RAW & JPG images

Post by markhz49 »

Hi, Are there some of you who use both Adobe Lightroom and GraphicConverter who can make some recommendations about camera image workflow?Environment:I have a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 set to capture images in both RAW and JPG images to an SD card.Criteria:Keep the numerical sequence on the dual images the same, i.e. IMG_0255.CR2 and IMG_0255.JPG for the same image (they come from the SD card in that manner) so I can match/track the images by sequence number later.Enter GPS and relevant keyword and copyright data into the Metadata fields (EXIF and IPTC).Apply a file renaming convention that would apply to both sets of images.THEN separate the two sets of images into: 1)  .CR2 files to use in Lightroom or Photoshop in one location and 2) .JPG files to edit with GraphicConverter in another location for other uses.Goal:Automate this workflow as much as possible. Hopefully, some of you have wrestled with this and solved it and can make some recommendations.Thanks.-Mark
Deborah Oakley

Re: workflow: DSLR camera SD card with RAW & JPG images

Post by Deborah Oakley »

Wow, that’s an ambitious goal, Mark!Maybe I can fill in some of the blanks, if not all.Numbering should be simple as the RAW and JPGs will automatically be named the same.For GPS, are you using a logger device? This can even be done with a cell phone these days if not a dedicated device. I have used an iOS app called Geotag Photos Pro (http://www.geotagphotos.net) with great success. I’m sure there are similar apps for Windows and Android if you’re on that platform. If no logger, I also use a program called HoudaGeo (http://houdah.com/houdahGeo) that really helps in automating this as much as possible with superior mapping abilities. Sometimes the altitude doesn’t come out right so I find that on a special Google map at http://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-f ... tmRenaming I then do though the EXCELLENT features of GraphicConverter where I also set the metadata fields. And if I’ve coped them from my iPad, I use the app Photosmith to write the tags there and then export only the XMP sidecar files. Photosmith is a great app there and is designed to link with Lightroom, but I find this SUCH a tedious process because it has to go through Wifi only. MUCH faster to simply copy the photos off the card and then sync up with the XMP data. Thorsten was kind enough to add the ability to even read the XMP data into JPG images (normally only RAW can do this). I know of no other software that can do that.As for automation….well….not exactly there on that one. Would be great but that’s a lot of applications and processing to do. Renaming and tagging is pretty quick with batch routines, though.Hope that helps!DeborahOn Oct 14, 2014, at 2:06 PM, markz@cstone.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Hi, Are there some of you who use both Adobe Lightroom and GraphicConverter who can make some recommendations about camera image workflow?Environment:I have a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 set to capture images in both RAW and JPG images to an SD card.Criteria:Keep the numerical sequence on the dual images the same, i.e. IMG_0255.CR2 and IMG_0255.JPG for the same image (they come from the SD card in that manner) so I can match/track the images by sequence number later.Enter GPS and relevant keyword and copyright data into the Metadata fields (EXIF and IPTC).Apply a file renaming convention that would apply to both sets of images.THEN separate the two sets of images into: 1)  .CR2 files to use in Lightroom or Photoshop in one location and 2) .JPG files to edit with GraphicConverter in another location for other uses.Goal:Automate this workflow as much as possible. Hopefully, some of you have wrestled with this and solved it and can make some recommendations.Thanks.-Mark
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,GraphicConverter can do the mapping of the GPS data, too. Just open the gpx file from the GPS menu and use the apply feature.Thorsten On Oct 14, 2014, at 2:06 PM, markz@cstone.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hi, Are there some of you who use both Adobe Lightroom and GraphicConverter who can make some recommendations about camera image workflow?Environment:I have a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 set to capture images in both RAW and JPG images to an SD card.Criteria:Keep the numerical sequence on the dual images the same, i.e. IMG_0255.CR2 and IMG_0255.JPG for the same image (they come from the SD card in that manner) so I can match/track the images by sequence number later.Enter GPS and relevant keyword and copyright data into the Metadata fields (EXIF and IPTC).Apply a file renaming convention that would apply to both sets of images.THEN separate the two sets of images into: 1)  .CR2 files to use in Lightroom or Photoshop in one location and 2) .JPG files to edit with GraphicConverter in another location for other uses.Goal:Automate this workflow as much as possible. Hopefully, some of you have wrestled with this and solved it and can make some recommendations.Thanks.
ptimlin

Post by ptimlin »

Hi Mark,Everyone has their own process for these types of things so obviously one person's method seems weird to the next person. That said, is there any reason why you couldn't just shoot RAW and skip the JPG? On the computer you can probably generate a JPG quickly if you need one without having to spend time in Lightroom. And most cameras can generate a JPG in the camera from a selected RAW file if you need one immediately "in the field". I am just thinking you seem to be generating a lot of redundant photos that have to be processed and stored. But back to my first statement, one man's method is another man's madness.  ;)  if you like that way, more power to ya.I have GC auto rename my files on import. I use a format of yyyy.mm.dd-hh.mm.ss plus extension (example 2014.08.31-16.14.16.jpg is a photo taken on Aug 31st, 2014 at 4:14pm). If you have RAW and JPG turned on, it still works since GC will rename both files with the same date & time stamp file name but their different extensions make them different file name so there is no conflict. So your 1st & 3rd criteria are easily met by GC be setting up an auto rename for when even ever you import new photos off your camera or SD card.The other ones are a bit more difficult which I haven't played with much. My own workflow is after import where GC auto renames everything, I then select all the newly downloaded shots and do a "fullscreen" view and go through them slideshow style to quickly decide which to keep and which get the Delete button. After that I apply GPS information, often times I use Google Earth to pinpoint a position and then use GC's fantastic feature to tag selected photos with the current location in Earth (works especially well for large groups of shots taken at the same place) or I point to the GPS data log files in GC and let it geotag the photos off those files.After that, I exit GC and manually put the photo into the folders I want and also drag them into iPhoto (never graduated up to Lightroom or Aperture) for additional tagging, light editing, posting to flickr, etc.Patrick---In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, <markz@...> wrote :Criteria:Keep the numerical sequence on the dual images the same, i.e. IMG_0255.CR2 and IMG_0255.JPG for the same image (they come from the SD card in that manner) so I can match/track the images by sequence number later.Enter GPS and relevant keyword and copyright data into the Metadata fields (EXIF and IPTC).Apply a file renaming convention that would apply to both sets of images.THEN separate the two sets of images into: 1)  .CR2 files to use in Lightroom or Photoshop in one location and 2) .JPG files to edit with GraphicConverter in another location for other uses.Goal:Automate this workflow as much as possible.
ptimlin

Post by ptimlin »

Hi Deborah, >> "I then do though the EXCELLENT features of GraphicConverter>> where I also set the metadata fields." Are you automating this or do you mean manually opening and entering into those field. I took think the ease of which you can change or add metadata through GC is great, but was curious if you had automated any of it.Patrick
Deborah Oakley

Post by Deborah Oakley »

Hi Patrick,Well at some point you have to manually enter information in (title, keywords, other info), although some of that can be simplified since, for example, once a keyword is entered it’s in a database for reuse. Using Photosmith on the iPad I can tag the photos there, and then this tag information is saved in an XMP sidecar file. From that point it’s semi-automatic in that GC can read the tags in the XMP an save it to the JPG and RAW files. I don’t know of any way to do it more efficiently than that, but certainly open to learning new techniques if someone else has a better way!DeborahOn Oct 15, 2014, at 7:06 AM, ptimlin@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Hi Deborah,>> "I then do though the EXCELLENT features of GraphicConverter>> where I also set the metadata fields."Are you automating this or do you mean manually opening and entering into those field. I took think the ease of which you can change or add metadata through GC is great, but was curious if you had automated any of it.Patrick