Search IPTC Caption?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
iamabbqueen

Search IPTC Caption?

Post by iamabbqueen »

Hello,I would like to be able to search (with Spotlight) what I type into the IPTC Caption field.  (Command-I> Caption tab> Caption field.) Is that possible?  If not, what fields are searchable?  Thanks.
thorstenlemke

Re: Search IPTC Caption?

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,yes, just use the find command inside the browser:(Command+F)Thorsten Hello,I would like to be able to search (with Spotlight) what I type into the IPTC Caption field.  (Command-I> Caption tab> Caption field.) Is that possible?  If not, what fields are searchable?  Thanks.
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

Attachments :jane serval cat.JPGThank you but that's not working. I have attached a photo that has the caption "The rare serval cat." but when I search for the word "rare" this picture does not come up.  This is true if I use command-F and select "All Metadata" and "contains" and type "rare".  It's also true if I use the search box at the top of the browser (although I think that just searches for file name) or if I use Spotlight.  I am trying to search my pictures for all of those where I am mentioned in the caption, or where a certain animal is mentioned in the caption.  Is there a way to do that?  Thanks.
thorstenlemke

Re: Search IPTC Caption? [1 Attachment]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,I tried it here and it worked.Where is the file stored?Network volumes are not indexed by Spotlight.Thorsten Thank you but that's not working. I have attached a photo that has the caption "The rare serval cat." but when I search for the word "rare" this picture does not come up.  This is true if I use command-F and select "All Metadata" and "contains" and type "rare".  It's also true if I use the search box at the top of the browser (although I think that just searches for file name) or if I use Spotlight.  I am trying to search my pictures for all of those where I am mentioned in the caption, or where a certain animal is mentioned in the caption.  Is there a way to do that?  Thanks.
Jeff Shapiro

Post by Jeff Shapiro »

I tried searches using your image in GC, Path Finder ( a Finder replacement), and Finder and they all worked as expected.You might want to go into System Preferences > Spotlight and make sure that Images is checked.  On Nov 16, 2014, at 06:05, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,I tried it here and it worked.Where is the file stored?Network volumes are not indexed by Spotlight.Thorsten<Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 14.04.50.png>Thank you but that's not working. I have attached a photo that has the caption "The rare serval cat." but when I search for the word "rare" this picture does not come up.  This is true if I use command-F and select "All Metadata" and "contains" and type "rare".  It's also true if I use the search box at the top of the browser (although I think that just searches for file name) or if I use Spotlight.  I am trying to search my pictures for all of those where I am mentioned in the caption, or where a certain animal is mentioned in the caption.  Is there a way to do that?  Thanks. -- Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arrivingsafely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid inbroadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudlyproclaiming "WOW! What a Ride!"
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

The image is on an external drive and is probably not indexed by spotlight.  But I have another image that is on the same external drive and Spotlight is finding that one.  The difference between the two is on the one that is not being found I added the caption in GC using command-I> Caption tab> Caption field, but in the one that is being found, when I downloaded it from email it already had something in the Caption tab> Title field (search is finding the term in the title field).  When I add something to that field, searching for the word does not find that picture.  So how can spotlight and GC find something in the title field on an imported picture but not in the title field when I add to it with GC.  Very confusing. 
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,I am a bit confused. Where is the text of the problem file? Simple e-mail a sample.Thorsten The image is on an external drive and is probably not indexed by spotlight.  But I have another image that is on the same external drive and Spotlight is finding that one.  The difference between the two is on the one that is not being found I added the caption in GC using command-I> Caption tab> Caption field, but in the one that is being found, when I downloaded it from email it already had something in the Caption tab> Title field (search is finding the term in the title field).  When I add something to that field, searching for the word does not find that picture.  So how can spotlight and GC find something in the title field on an imported picture but not in the title field when I add to it with GC.  Very confusing. 
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

OK, now I'm confused.  The text I am searching for is in command-I> Caption tab> Caption field.  In GC I typed in "The rare serval cat."  Searching for the word "rare" in Spotlight does not find that photo.I have another photo which someone emailed to me.  It already had the words "arm as blackboard" under command-I> Caption tab> Title.  When I search with Spotlight for the word "blackboard" this photo is found.So my thought was spotlight was searching the "title" field and not the "caption" field.  Serval cat photo I typed "The rare serval cat." into the title field and then searched spotlight for the term "rare" again.  Initially it did not find the photo but later it did.  I'm thinking that it took a little while to index the photo again.So it looks like Spotlight will search the title field but not the caption field.  But you are saying that is not true and Spotlight will search the caption field.  Is this a problem with my GC? With my Spotlight?  I am using GC 9.4 (1727)Thank you for the help.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi,Spotlight does index the caption field.Can you find it in the finder?Thorsten OK, now I'm confused.  The text I am searching for is in command-I> Caption tab> Caption field.  In GC I typed in "The rare serval cat."  Searching for the word "rare" in Spotlight does not find that photo.I have another photo which someone emailed to me.  It already had the words "arm as blackboard" under command-I> Caption tab> Title.  When I search with Spotlight for the word "blackboard" this photo is found.So my thought was spotlight was searching the "title" field and not the "caption" field.  Serval cat photo I typed "The rare serval cat." into the title field and then searched spotlight for the term "rare" again.  Initially it did not find the photo but later it did.  I'm thinking that it took a little while to index the photo again.So it looks like Spotlight will search the title field but not the caption field.  But you are saying that is not true and Spotlight will search the caption field.  Is this a problem with my GC? With my Spotlight?  I am using GC 9.4 (1727)
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

No, I cannot find it when I type the word into the Spotlight field or when I open a new finder window and type the word in the search field in the upper right.  I can find words that have been entered in the Title field.Thanks. Something is going on preventing the GC Caption field from being indexed.  Is there a way to force it to index it again?  Just that field, not the whole drive I'm hoping.