Slow raw files

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
havema1

Slow raw files

Post by havema1 »

Hi,Handling raw files has become very slow in recent GC and OS X updates.I usually sort and delete raw files via the Finder's Quick Look but in OS X 10.9 and especially in 10.10 this has become way too slow.In GC 6 and OS X 10.8-10.9 the raw file performance was OK although my late 2009 Mac mini is no speed demon. I reluctantly updated GC to v9 because the "good old" v6 is not fully supported anymore.But GC 9.4 is WAY TOO slow to handle RAW files. GC 6 was A LOT faster.For example, I just TRIED to rename 100 Canon CR2 files (2.4 GB in total) via EXIF (GC browser > select all > cmd-E) but I had to force quit GC after 1.5 hours because the rename dialog failed to appear and GC was unresponsive (I rename the files as YYYY-MMDD-hhmm-ss). Renaming JPGs is also very slow.I then tried to sort & delete the raw files via the GC slideshow but it was also WAY TOO slow.What are my options?? Revert to GC 6, Lightroom or cough some $$ for Mac Pro??regards,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Re: Slow raw files

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Dear Matti,please e-mail your rename settings for testing.Thorsten Hi,Handling raw files has become very slow in recent GC and OS X updates.
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Hi,I switched the Rename > Extension from "Depending on image file format" to "Lowercase".Now renaming via EXIF is fast again.But sorting through Canon 6D RAW images has gradually become glacially slow in recent OS X (Quick Look now often fails to correctly show the image) and GC (slideshow) updates.OS X 10.8 and GC 6.7.7 were still OK on my old 2009 Mac mini.Sometimes GC slideshow switches between RAW images quite fast but usually it takes as much as 10 seconds and often I'm not sure if GC has switched to another image or whether it is still processing the next one.Could GC slideshow have an option to cache a certain amount of images (10-20 nearby images, for example) for smoother operation?regards,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Dear Matti,the slideshow does already cache. I have here no slowdown.Are there any error messages in the console?Thorsten Hi,I switched the Rename > Extension from "Depending on image file format" to "Lowercase".Now renaming via EXIF is fast again.But sorting through Canon 6D RAW images has gradually become glacially slow in recent OS X (Quick Look now often fails to correctly show the image) and GC (slideshow) updates.OS X 10.8 and GC 6.7.7 were still OK on my old 2009 Mac mini.Sometimes GC slideshow switches between RAW images quite fast but usually it takes as much as 10 seconds and often I'm not sure if GC has switched to another image or whether it is still processing the next one.Could GC slideshow have an option to cache a certain amount of images (10-20 nearby images, for example) for smoother operation?regards,- Matti
ptimlin

Post by ptimlin »

Matti,I have noticed the same with my Olympus RAW images. I was using GC v6 for a long time until I finally updated to Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks), GC v6 no longer operated properly, so I updated to the latest version of GC and now notice at fullscreen (slideshow) the transition from one image to the next can be very slow and often seems almost stalled. I have the little list window showing so I can click on other images to see if I am stalled and am able to move to another image or not. I usually use the arrow keys to move to the next image.To be fair, things that are different now and things I have not tried include:1) I updated to a new camera which is why I had to update my OS to begin with, so my RAW images are now 16MP where as before they were 10 & 12MP. I will have to try loading a bunch of older images fullscreen and see if the transition from image to image is better or the same.2) I have not tried trashing the preferences or the GC First Aid program yet. I will have to download the first aid program and report back.My iMac is an older one (Early 2009) but tons of hard drive space and 8GB RAM. I also run a fairly stock system (no virus apps or other weird extensions that I can think of that would cause this). GC v6 always quickly changed from one image to the next or at worst, maybe a second wait not many seconds.Regards,Patrick---In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, <matti.haveri@...> wrote :But sorting through Canon 6D RAW images has gradually become glacially slow in recent OS X (Quick Look now often fails to correctly show the image) and GC (slideshow) updates.OS X 10.8 and GC 6.7.7 were still OK on my old 2009 Mac mini.Sometimes GC slideshow switches between RAW images quite fast but usually it takes as much as 10 seconds and often I'm not sure if GC has switched to another image or whether it is still processing the next one.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,RAWs are imported with 16 bit per channel.Simple uncheck that import in the prefs part open/formats/photorawThorsten Matti,I have noticed the same with my Olympus RAW images. I was using GC v6 for a long time until I finally updated to Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks), GC v6 no longer operated properly, so I updated to the latest version of GC and now notice at fullscreen (slideshow) the transition from one image to the next can be very slow and often seems almost stalled. I have the little list window showing so I can click on other images to see if I am stalled and am able to move to another image or not. I usually use the arrow keys to move to the next image.To be fair, things that are different now and things I have not tried include:1) I updated to a new camera which is why I had to update my OS to begin with, so my RAW images are now 16MP where as before they were 10 & 12MP. I will have to try loading a bunch of older images fullscreen and see if the transition from image to image is better or the same.2) I have not tried trashing the preferences or the GC First Aid program yet. I will have to download the first aid program and report back. 
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Hello,Thanks for the advice, I now set GC prefs' Open > Photo Raw > Apple CoreImage Options OFF.I use GC slideshow to sort & delete images so I also have:Slide Show >General > Optimize > Open Images at reduced Resolution ONEnhance > Improve Image Quality with Xe847 Technology OFFTransitions OFFCorrect? Are there other settings I might try to make things faster??But even then: if I open only 10 Canon 6D RAW images (226 MB in total) in the slideshow, advancing them via the arrow keys back & forth stalls for 10-30 seconds very often so determining which is the best shot is very difficult.Earlier today I experimented with a 170 RAW image slideshow and my poor old late 2009 4GB RAM Mac mini started to report well over 4GB compressed memory and GC consumed several GBs of memory according to the Activity Monitor. Finally the Mac got VERY slow and unresponsive for about 20 minutes, until I very carefully avoided giving GC any new tasks so I could slowly and gracefully close and quit it and get the Mac on its feet again ;-)So now I tried with a very low amount of RAW images although I usually have about 100-200 RAW images to sort through. With OS X 10.8 and GC 6.7.7. this was still manageable.BTW, I briefly tried Lightroom with those 170 images and its speed seemed to be OK. But I'd rather continue my old workflow with GC than learn Lightroom for this task (my son usually edits the sorted and remaining RAW files with Lightroom...).p.s. if it is of any help, here are some repeating lines from the Console during my latest test:1.12.2014 23.41.56,037 WindowServer[127]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "GraphicConverter 9" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.1.12.2014 23.41.56,218 WindowServer[127]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "GraphicConverter 9" after 1.23 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.05 seconds)thanks,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,no, Core Image usage should be on. Only the deep colors option with 16 bit per channel should be off.Thorsten Hello,Thanks for the advice, I now set GC prefs' Open > Photo Raw > Apple CoreImage Options OFF.I use GC slideshow to sort & delete images so I also have:Slide Show >General > Optimize > Open Images at reduced Resolution ONEnhance > Improve Image Quality with Xe847 Technology OFFTransitions OFFCorrect? Are there other settings I might try to make things faster??
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Hi,(Yes, that was what I meant by turning GC 9.4 prefs' Open > Photo Raw > "Apple CoreImage Options > Import with deep colors (16 bit per channel) if possible" OFF.)BUT: I noticed that if I set:GC Prefs > Open > Photo Raw > Opening Toolbox > Only dcrawTHEN with OS X 10.10.1 and GC 9.4 the slideshow is ONCE AGAIN as fast or maybe slightly faster than with Mac OS X 10.6.8 and GC 6.7.7!And then GC doesn't consume crazy GB amounts of memory and compressed memory anymore!I stumbled on this when I tested the speedy GC 6.7.7 and glanced its RAW options which had only dcraw.So it seems dcraw is a superior alternative to Apple's CoreImage at least for this task!http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi Matti,it may depend on the kind of RAW files. But normally Core Image is faster.Thorsten Hi,(Yes, that was what I meant by turning GC 9.4 prefs' Open > Photo Raw > "Apple CoreImage Options > Import with deep colors (16 bit per channel) if possible" OFF.)BUT: I noticed that if I set:GC Prefs > Open > Photo Raw > Opening Toolbox > Only dcrawTHEN with OS X 10.10.1 and GC 9.4 the slideshow is ONCE AGAIN as fast or maybe slightly faster than with Mac OS X 10.6.8 and GC 6.7.7!And then GC doesn't consume crazy GB amounts of memory and compressed memory anymore!I stumbled on this when I tested the speedy GC 6.7.7 and glanced its RAW options which had only dcraw.So it seems dcraw is a superior alternative to Apple's CoreImage at least for this task!http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/- Matti