scanning with Yosemite

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
uhebeisen

scanning with Yosemite

Post by uhebeisen »

after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) I can no longer scan from my Canon Pixma MP630 using the TWAIN driver. It works however using Image Capture but there I don't have all the features like in TWAIN.I have to say that I am still running GC v8.8.3 and set it to 32bit mode. This worked well with Maveriks but now GC is hanging each time I choose "scan with TWAIN.."If someone can confirm that GC v9 will work with the TWAIN modules as before I will upgrade asap.
Brian Christmas

Re: scanning with Yosemite

Post by Brian Christmas »

G’day whatever-your-name-is-seeing-as-you-didn’t-sign-your-post.I too with my Epson scanner find that Epson no longer make an ‘Epson Scan’ version of their software for Yosemite, but rely on the Twain Image Capture application, which is a cut-off-at-the-knees app, compared to ‘Epson Scan'.I think printer manufacturers are taking the easy way out by using Twain, and Apples limited interface, to save money in paying coders.RegardsSantaOn 30 Nov 2014, at 8:19 am, uhebeisen@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) I can no longer scan from my Canon Pixma MP630 using the TWAIN driver. It works however using Image Capture but there I don't have all the features like in TWAIN.I have to say that I am still running GC v8.8.3 and set it to 32bit mode. This worked well with Maveriks but now GC is hanging each time I choose "scan with TWAIN.."If someone can confirm that GC v9 will work with the TWAIN modules as before I will upgrade asap.
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

On Nov 29, 2014, at 2:19:PM, uhebeisen@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) I can no longer scan from my Canon Pixma MP630 using the TWAIN driver. It works however using Image Capture but there I don't have all the features like in TWAIN.I have to say that I am still running GC v8.8.3 and set it to 32bit mode. This worked well with Maveriks but now GC is hanging each time I choose "scan with TWAIN.."If someone can confirm that GC v9 will work with the TWAIN modules as before I will upgrade asap.You should check out VueScan, free demo available. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/4763/vuescanRobert PolandFort Collins CO
Deborah Oakley

Post by Deborah Oakley »

Are you sure about that Santa?I haven’t upgraded to Yosemite on my office computer and use an Epson GT scanner, so this post had me nervous.It looks to me that Epson HAS updated their software for Yosemite: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... 8Hopefully that helps!Deborah On Nov 29, 2014, at 1:35 PM, Brian Christmas ozsanta@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:G’day whatever-your-name-is-seeing-as-you-didn’t-sign-your-post.I too with my Epson scanner find that Epson no longer make an ‘Epson Scan’ version of their software for Yosemite, but rely on the Twain Image Capture application, which is a cut-off-at-the-knees app, compared to ‘Epson Scan'.I think printer manufacturers are taking the easy way out by using Twain, and Apples limited interface, to save money in paying coders.RegardsSantaOn 30 Nov 2014, at 8:19 am, uhebeisen@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) I can no longer scan from my Canon Pixma MP630 using the TWAIN driver. It works however using Image Capture but there I don't have all the features like in TWAIN.I have to say that I am still running GC v8.8.3 and set it to 32bit mode. This worked well with Maveriks but now GC is hanging each time I choose "scan with TWAIN.."If someone can confirm that GC v9 will work with the TWAIN modules as before I will upgrade asap.
Brian Christmas

Post by Brian Christmas »

G’day, and thanks DeborahI last checked the Epson site 10 days ago, and couldn’t find a link to the Epson scan software from my Artisan 730 pages.This time, using your link, I found a version that was posted in 2013, and with some twiddling and  using the scanner setup, got my wirelessly connected scanner to work. Wasn’t at all straighforward.RegardsSantaOn 30 Nov 2014, at 8:44 am, Deborah Oakley professor_deb@icloud.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Are you sure about that Santa?I haven’t upgraded to Yosemite on my office computer and use an Epson GT scanner, so this post had me nervous.It looks to me that Epson HAS updated their software for Yosemite: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... 8Hopefully that helps!Deborah On Nov 29, 2014, at 1:35 PM, Brian Christmas ozsanta@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:G’day whatever-your-name-is-seeing-as-you-didn’t-sign-your-post.I too with my Epson scanner find that Epson no longer make an ‘Epson Scan’ version of their software for Yosemite, but rely on the Twain Image Capture application, which is a cut-off-at-the-knees app, compared to ‘Epson Scan'.I think printer manufacturers are taking the easy way out by using Twain, and Apples limited interface, to save money in paying coders.RegardsSantaOn 30 Nov 2014, at 8:19 am, uhebeisen@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) I can no longer scan from my Canon Pixma MP630 using the TWAIN driver. It works however using Image Capture but there I don't have all the features like in TWAIN.I have to say that I am still running GC v8.8.3 and set it to 32bit mode. This worked well with Maveriks but now GC is hanging each time I choose "scan with TWAIN.."If someone can confirm that GC v9 will work with the TWAIN modules as before I will upgrade asap.
Deborah Oakley

Post by Deborah Oakley »

Great! Glad that worked. :-)Nothing is ever straightforward, though, is it?!-D On Nov 29, 2014, at 2:04 PM, Brian Christmas ozsanta@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:G’day, and thanks DeborahI last checked the Epson site 10 days ago, and couldn’t find a link to the Epson scan software from my Artisan 730 pages.This time, using your link, I found a version that was posted in 2013, and with some twiddling and  using the scanner setup, got my wirelessly connected scanner to work. Wasn’t at all straighforward.RegardsSantaOn 30 Nov 2014, at 8:44 am, Deborah Oakley professor_deb@icloud.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Are you sure about that Santa?I haven’t upgraded to Yosemite on my office computer and use an Epson GT scanner, so this post had me nervous.It looks to me that Epson HAS updated their software for Yosemite: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... 8Hopefully that helps!DeborahOn Nov 29, 2014, at 1:35 PM, Brian Christmas ozsanta@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:G’day whatever-your-name-is-seeing-as-you-didn’t-sign-your-post.I too with my Epson scanner find that Epson no longer make an ‘Epson Scan’ version of their software for Yosemite, but rely on the Twain Image Capture application, which is a cut-off-at-the-knees app, compared to ‘Epson Scan'.I think printer manufacturers are taking the easy way out by using Twain, and Apples limited interface, to save money in paying coders.RegardsSantaOn 30 Nov 2014, at 8:19 am, uhebeisen@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) I can no longer scan from my Canon Pixma MP630 using the TWAIN driver. It works however using Image Capture but there I don't have all the features like in TWAIN.I have to say that I am still running GC v8.8.3 and set it to 32bit mode. This worked well with Maveriks but now GC is hanging each time I choose "scan with TWAIN.."If someone can confirm that GC v9 will work with the TWAIN modules as before I will upgrade asap.
David Morrison

Post by David Morrison »

> > >Are you sure about that Santa? > >I haven't upgraded to Yosemite on my office computer and use an >Epson GT scanner, so this post had me nervous. > >It looks to me that Epson HAS updated their software for >Yosemite: <http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... oid=266938 > >Hopefully that helps! Not really. For their older but still perfectly functional scanners, there is no Epson Scan, just the ICA profile to use with Image Capture. Image Capture, as we all know is almost useless. :-( And to get the ICA file, it looks like you have to download all the Epson drivers, all 1.9GB of them. :-(
Deborah Oakley

Post by Deborah Oakley »

Ah, yes, the older scanner. :-(I have a wonderful HP ScanJet that uniquely stands upright so it takes up very little desk space. Also it detaches so you can put it over the top of a book and look through to see what is being scanned. Brilliant concept.But HP, in their infinite wisdom, decided that they would not update drivers past Snow Leopard. When Rosetta was dropped from Lion, there was no way to run the older Power PC scanner driver. I can’t even get it to work with Vuescan.Perfectly good scanner sitting on my shelf collecting dust because HP won’t update the driver for it. Talk about forced obsolescence….Sorry, if that’s the case I don’t know of a solution for your scanner, either. You might give Vuescan a try. If Image Capture can see the scanner then perhaps Vuescan can, as well. It’s the software I use with my Brother multi-function device. Quirky interface, but it works fairly well and is updated frequently. http://www.hamrick.com.DeborahOn Nov 29, 2014, at 10:03 PM, David Morrison davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: >>>Are you sure about that Santa?>>I haven't upgraded to Yosemite on my office computer and use an >Epson GT scanner, so this post had me nervous.>>It looks to me that Epson HAS updated their software for >Yosemite: <http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... >Hopefully that helps!Not really. For their older but still perfectly functional scanners, there is no Epson Scan, just the ICA profile to use with Image Capture. Image Capture, as we all know is almost useless. :-( And to get the ICA file, it looks like you have to download all the Epson drivers, all 1.9GB of them. :-(
Rowland Carson

Post by Rowland Carson »

On 30 Nov 2014, at 06:03, David Morrison davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > Image Capture, as we all know is almost useless. David - that surprises me! I’ve found that Image Capture works fine with my Epson V700 on OS 10.9.5 and is at least as capable as the dedicated Canon drivers I had before. I had to get rid of my Canon 9900F when I upgraded from OS 10.6 to OS 10.9 as there were no longer drivers for it. I did try the Vuescan driver but didn’t like it enough to pay for it. in friendship Rowland : Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ... : <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk : Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson : pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

> On Nov 30, 2014, at 3:33 AM, Rowland Carson rowlandcarson@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > On 30 Nov 2014, at 06:03, David Morrison davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > >> Image Capture, as we all know is almost useless. > > David - that surprises me! > > I’ve found that Image Capture works fine with my Epson V700 on OS 10.9.5 and is at least as capable as the dedicated Canon drivers I had before. Just as another data point -- I have an Epson WorkForce 630 (Epson5C70EA) which has worked fine for me with both Maverick and now Yosemite -- via Image capture. Maybe it is just Epson? I do know that all the Epson drivers were updated for Yosemite about 3 weeks ago - a "raw" update. The interesting thing was - I happened to run /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility - "Repair Disk Permissions" and noted that ?All?Most? of those Epson files were installed with protections which needed to be changed to conform to those which were defined. I do a lot of gaming and have discovered empirically that Disk Utility/Repair is your friend. I know what it is supposed to do and how it works -- however experience has shown that it "fixes" an incredible number of "unexplained" or "inexplicable" problems encountered. I've always taken the approach -- Apple must have created this option for some reason which they have simply not bothered to pass on to the rest of us mortals. So, short of sending chickens to the Great Favag ... :) T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.1 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.1 OSX Server (now dead) magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com