Re: Two problems: both annoying, neither critical

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Also PREVIEW does hang and quit since after OS TIGER.I've reported Preview 'quitting suddenly' to Apple since 4 years ago. Lots of force quits over here.
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

Question...Do you have to reinstall your programs after a new OS install ?Also, do you repair your permissions periodically?Mike BauersSent from my iPhone On Dec 1, 2014, at 12:50 AM, "eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac]" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Yes I will try those but a NEW OS install fixes all of that for a while... __._,_._
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

when I do repair permissions I find a lot of violations that are listed. In the OS systems over that time  from PERFECT PANTHER to the imperfect ones different things happen in that way.Windows was more straight forward...
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

I do a complete disc wipe then re install original programs. As I said it helps out for say 6 months. my CPU is very busy with images - I tend to need a faster machine. When that beach ball spins lots of things happen other than predictable it may be..
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

I've long used System Suite - Fix It Utilities to tune up Windows including regularly repairing  the Registry and sitting through defraging the hard drives.I could challenge the idea of Windows being more straight-forward .8^)By comparison to Windows, I don't mind that fixing permissions finds fewer problems when I do so.Long ago I managed to damage my Mac OS, saved my program libraries and such as a guide for reinstalling them later and move the damaged programs to another drive along with those related elements. Then I reinstalled the OS.Some months later I was doing a search on the Mac for a certain subject and accidentally clicked on a file that only worked with an earlier program I hadn't yet reinstalled.I was amazed to see the Mac pull up and run that program from the other drive I was storing as a sort of memo to myself.Windows would never have known where that program had been moved and sure wouldn't be able to run it unless re-stalled on the new OS install.I was rather impressed to see that happen. As I recall, I moved the executables of the old programs to the new OS install on the main drive and as I ran each program, each came back to life.I remember thinking that it was how an OS should work !!Mike BauersSent from my iPhone On Dec 1, 2014, at 1:13 AM, "Wayne Eligur eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac]" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: when I do repair permissions I find a lot of violations that are listed. In the OS systems over that time  from PERFECT PANTHER to the imperfect ones different things happen in that way.Windows was more straight forward... __
iberoguy01

Post by iberoguy01 »

Hello. The only time I have encountered the problem you describe is when I have trashed the pref and did not updated the new pref settings at "browser" "miscellaneous" and check "open browser path" to the directory I want the browser to open up at start up. If this pref is unchecked, you will just going to get the GC menu bar and no display window.Good luck,Joseph
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Ha ha ha !  The Mac acting like that! Long has it done stuff like you describe - another thing is where does it hide all this stuff? Also there is the time that I remove battery from this MacBook and when I start it up it displays the 'saved' already loaded OS ready to go like on the new solid state MacBook Airs and etc.. It does it many times now...Apple is a secretive operation... I had read the available history...Looking in the OS as far as I could being no expert... was like finding a crook's stash... Apple's system is practically a key logger set up...when you delete it sort of does what it wants... and the insides were like opening a babies diaper... at present it is 'loaded' for me...
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

I damaged MY OS TIGER by accident trashing the entire PREFERENCES folder. It was the new OS on DVD no upgrade or fixes yet. The logic was at fault then as I was not supposed to be able to do this. A later fix made things right. Apple runs on preferences. Windows has a strong allowance disallowance of these forbidden kinds of actions.Tiger was a slap dash written OS. Apple tends to be a shoddy programmer. And loves then to fix on the fly or while you are using it. . Now, lately. I notice this over and over. It does notice what is wrong. It does not tell publicly either. What a slap in the face to have to force quit! That is shoddy! They still have it! Myself while I was learning decode of nasa / ESA I would over tax the OS and lots of program crashes GC/ Preview etc.. I've had to pull the plug a hundred times sent a report to Apple 25 times or more... By the way Mars has tons of water insects flies all over and much evidence of ancient inhabitations I have a huge collection... images that is awesome.
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

My University of Arizona actually told me what computer to use and to get Graphic Converter as it is what they all have as standard equipment.So they helped to get the facts out.They run the Rovers and the Mars orbiterI want to send you some examples if you may?Regards from:WayneTucson AZ
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,yes, please do.Thorsten So they helped to get the facts out.They run the Rovers and the Mars orbiterI want to send you some examples if you may?Regards from:WayneTucson AZ