Re: Two problems: both annoying, neither critical

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi,I have currently no other such report.So, please try to trash the prefs with the GraphicConverter First Aid tool. What happens now?Thorsten I am currently experiencing two problems with Graphic Converter 9.4, build number 1727.The first one is that Graphic Converter doesn't start properly when I click its icon on the Dock.  The icon bounces and a light appears below it, but the application window doesn't open, although the GC menu bar does appear.  In order to get the application window to open I have select an option from the menu bar such as Open, Preferences or Check for Updates...  Note that not all operations cause the application window to appear, for example, About and Browse Last do not - it seems that only operations which require user interaction will trigger the display of the window.  If, however, you choose a menu option which does cause the application window to open, the results of any operations which didn't cause the application window to open become visible.  For example, if you select About then nothing happens, but if you subsequently select Open, the file open dialogue box appears over the top of the main window, and if you cancel the file open the the About window is showing underneath it.The second problem is that in full screen slide show mode, I always get this toolbar displayed at the top of the screen:
David Knodel

Post by David Knodel »

Wow.  I have had this problem for some time.  Click on GC - nothing apparently happens except it bounces in the  dock - until you press GC icon and on pop-up select something like ‘preferences’ or ‘check for updates’  or ‘browse last’  .Also in GC 9 the stamp tool does not work reliably.GC First-Aid makes no difference...I am thinking this started after ‘upgrade’ to Yosemite…Toolbar display can be can be changed in prefs ’Slide Show> ‘General - more’dvd. On Nov 30, 2014, at 10:20, ivealreadyregisteredoncetoday@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I am currently experiencing two problems with Graphic Converter 9.4, build number 1727.The first one is that Graphic Converter doesn't start properly when I click its icon on the Dock.  The icon bounces and a light appears below it, but the application window doesn't open, although the GC menu bar does appear.  In order to get the application window to open I have select an option from the menu bar such as Open, Preferences or Check for Updates...  Note that not all operations cause the application window to appear, for example, About and Browse Last do not - it seems that only operations which require user interaction will trigger the display of the window.  If, however, you choose a menu option which does cause the application window to open, the results of any operations which didn't cause the application window to open become visible.  For example, if you select About then nothing happens, but if you subsequently select Open, the file open dialogue box appears over the top of the main window, and if you cancel the file open the the About window is showing underneath it.The second problem is that in full screen slide show mode, I always get this toolbar displayed at the top of the screen:There doesn't seem to be any way to make it go away.  This rather defeats the object of running a slide show full screen, if part of the image is obscured by the toolbar...
Steve Barbour

Post by Steve Barbour »

> On Nov 30, 2014, at 12:04 PM, David Knodel dknodel@swbell.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > Wow. I have had this problem for some time. Click on GC - nothing apparently happens except it bounces in the dock - until you press GC icon and on pop-up select something like ‘preferences’ or ‘check for updates’ or ‘browse last’ . > > Also in GC 9 the stamp tool does not work reliably. > > GC First-Aid makes no difference... sorry, new to program where is First Aid? Steve > > I am thinking this started after ‘upgrade’ to Yosemite… > > Toolbar display can be can be changed in prefs ’Slide Show> ‘General - more’ > > dvd > . > >> On Nov 30, 2014, at 10:20, ivealreadyregisteredoncetoday@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: >> >> I am currently experiencing two problems with Graphic Converter 9.4, build number 1727. >> >> The first one is that Graphic Converter doesn't start properly when I click its icon on the Dock. The icon bounces and a light appears below it, but the application window doesn't open, although the GC menu bar does appear. In order to get the application window to open I have select an option from the menu bar such as Open, Preferences or Check for Updates... Note that not all operations cause the application window to appear, for example, About and Browse Last do not - it seems that only operations which require user interaction will trigger the display of the window. If, however, you choose a menu option which does cause the application window to open, the results of any operations which didn't cause the application window to open become visible. For example, if you select About then nothing happens, but if you subsequently select Open, the file open dialogue box appears over the top of the main window, and if you cancel the file open the the About window is showing underneath it. >> >> The second problem is that in full screen slide show mode, I always get this toolbar displayed at the top of the screen: >> >> >> >> There doesn't seem to be any way to make it go away. This rather defeats the object of running a slide show full screen, if part of the image is obscured by the toolbar... >> > > >
Tom Coradeschi

Post by Tom Coradeschi »

On 30 Nov 2014, at 11:20 AM, ivealreadyregisteredoncetoday@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > > > I am currently experiencing two problems with Graphic Converter 9.4, build number 1727. > > The first one is that Graphic Converter doesn't start properly when I click its icon on the Dock. The icon bounces and a light appears below it, but the application window doesn't open, although the GC menu bar does appear. In order to get the application window to open I have select an option from the menu bar such as Open, Preferences or Check for Updates... Note that not all operations cause the application window to appear, for example, About and Browse Last do not - it seems that only operations which require user interaction will trigger the display of the window. If, however, you choose a menu option which does cause the application window to open, the results of any operations which didn't cause the application window to open become visible. For example, if you select About then nothing happens, but if you subsequently select Open, the file open dialogue box appears over the top of the main window, and if you cancel the file open the the About window is showing underneath it. Ummm. So, what do you expect GC to do when you launch the application? The behavior you describe goes back to, well, I’m not sure how far back it goes. Certainly as far back as I can remember, and I’ve been using GC for years… — tom coradeschi tcora@skylands.ibmwr.org
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,the first aid app is in the disk image and on the download page:http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/download/Thorsten sorry, new to programwhere is First Aid?Steve
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

I have issues like that too - but mine started with my operating sys change into Snow Leopard - My Apple Store said I need to reinstall the OS each year or sooner as 'crud' begins to build up. A way of saying it gets WINDOWS stuff [malware virus] in it now I recon.I guess too it uses a programming called Cocoa which is a sort of C++ wherein the applications built for the apple platform are composed of smaller program modules like in  - Linux when that happens logic glitches may happen within the runtime of that program. The original applications like Preview and so on are non UNIX interfaced and much swifter to execute. Third party apps like GC is UNIX interfaced.Safari and the OEM programs use a different code as well.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi,I had never such issues. My old Mac Pro did migrate from 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 to 10.9. No problem. Never a full reinstall.Do you maybe use system extensions? That can cause such problems. Also, often Antivirus software may cause such delay/hangs. Is something installed?Thorsten I have issues like that too - but mine started with my operating sys change into Snow Leopard - My Apple Store said I need to reinstall the OS each year or sooner as 'crud' begins to build up. A way of saying it gets WINDOWS stuff [malware virus] in it now I recon.I guess too it uses a programming called Cocoa which is a sort of C++ wherein the applications built for the apple platform are composed of smaller program modules like in  - Linux when that happens logic glitches may happen within the runtime of that program. The original applications like Preview and so on are non UNIX interfaced and much swifter to execute. Third party apps like GC is UNIX interfaced.Safari and the OEM programs use a different code as well.
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

No sir, I don't use anything other than the OS made for this machine . I started with Panther up to now Snow Leopard.I want to try that  OS 10 because my machine is now burdened and incredibly sluggish.. It is a '09 MacBook 5 GB RAM. nothing special. I do heavy graphics and image processing all during 10 years with Apple products.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi,did you check /Library and ~/Library for all LaunchDaemons, Startup Items etc?Maybe there is something old.Also, sometimes the console and activity monitor do help to isolate such issues.Thorsten No sir, I don't use anything other than the OS made for this machine . I started with Panther up to now Snow Leopard.I want to try that  OS 10 because my machine is now burdened and incredibly sluggish.. It is a '09 MacBook 5 GB RAM. nothing special. I do heavy graphics and image processing all during 10 years with Apple products.
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Yes I will try those but a NEW OS install fixes all of that for a while...