This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Richard Hirsh

Post by Richard Hirsh »

How's your free disk space? Have you defrag'ed your disk(s) lately?Richard Hirsh
Mike Bauers

Re:

Post by Mike Bauers »

As someone that has not defragged his Mac drives since 1996, I wonder do other Mac users defrag ?Windows, yes and often, Mac defrag just not seen to be needed over here.Mike BauersSent from my iPhone On Dec 13, 2014, at 9:24 AM, "Richard Hirsh wrote: How's your free disk space? Have you defrag'ed your disk(s) lately?Richard Hirsh _
sdca92108

Re:

Post by sdca92108 »

Many of us are old enough to remember old OS's, slow computers and small HD's.  My first HD was attached to an Apple ][GS and was a huge 10 MB.  Yes, that is MB and not GB and I thought I would never fill that HD.  Well technology has improved many fold and today we have sophisticated OS's, incredibly fast machines and huge HD's.  Back in the Apple ][GS days, we needed to rearrange our HD's to free up any valuable space we could.  That isn't the case today.  Personally, I also have not defraged any HD in many years and do not think it is necessary.  I just never have HD slowness issues.  It is more important to add as much RAM as you can afford.  Once I bumped the RAM in my 2012 MacBook Pro to 8 GB, the machine became as incredibly fast.  Recently, I really splurged and bought a top of the line iMac with the 3.5 GHz i7, 24 GB RAM and a 3T Fusion Drive.  I simply have never had any delays with this machine since I bought it.  GraphicConverter fly's.  Apple as well and utility software makers like ProSoft and Alsoft and the like recommend against defraging a Fusion Drive because of the way OS X automatically arranges software to keep the computer speedy.  I realize my Fusion Drive is likely different that many reading this blog but I do not think it it worth the effort, the time or the risk to defrag a HD.Thank you Thorsten for not only having an incredibly useful program but also for being so supportive of GraphicConverter users.