Setting GPS

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
sdca92108

Setting GPS

Post by sdca92108 »

Attachments :Screenshot 2014-12-16 06.42.37.PNGI downloaded GC 9.5 beta this morning and am checking things out while having my morning coffee.  It's only 6:45 am here.  I saw the Set GPS feature and had never tried it before so I gave it a go.  I cannot get it to work.  Even though I have Google Earth running and centered over my location, GC says it is not running.  (pic attached)  Since I have become a Google hater, I trust it is a problem with Google Earth, ha ha.  I know I can always set it manually but am I missing something?  Can GC be programmed to use my location stored in OS X?
thorstenlemke

Re: Setting GPS [1 Attachment]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,the problem is GoogleEarth. Google did void the AppleScript interface - not working.So, simple use the GraphicConverter internal map.Thorstenom [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [Attachment(s) from sdca92108@yahoo.com [gcmac] included below]I downloaded GC 9.5 beta this morning and am checking things out while having my morning coffee.  It's only 6:45 am here.  I saw the Set GPS feature and had never tried it before so I gave it a go.  I cannot get it to work.  Even though I have Google Earth running and centered over my location, GC says it is not running.  (pic attached)  Since I have become a Google hater, I trust it is a problem with Google Earth, ha ha.  I know I can always set it manually but am I missing something?  Can GC be programmed to use my location stored in OS X?
ptimlin

Post by ptimlin »

It still works fine with GC v9.4. I haven't tried v9.5 yet. If it is GoogleEarth, then shouldn't it not work with 9.4 either?
thorstenlemke

Re: Setting GPS

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,hmm, it does not work here, too. Even with the normal AppleScript editor. I found various posts on the net.Thorsten It still works fine with GC v9.4. I haven't tried v9.5 yet. If it is GoogleEarth, then shouldn't it not work with 9.4 either?
Mike Alexander

Post by Mike Alexander »

--On December 17, 2014 at 9:24:17 PM +0100 "Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac]" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > Hello, > > hmm, it does not work here, too. Even with the normal AppleScript > editor. I found various posts on the net. > > Thorsten >> >> It still works fine with GC v9.4. I haven't tried v9.5 yet. If it is >> GoogleEarth, then shouldn't it not work with 9.4 either? >> >> > Whether it works or not depends on what other software you have installed and what has been run recently. I experimented with this a few days ago and one package that seemed to aggravate the problem was Default Folder but removing it doesn't entirely solve the problem. It's true that GC can't talk to Google Earth and it's probably due to a bug in GE, but other programs have managed to find a way to work around the problems. I just ran another experiment. The following script works once, but then fails with error -1708 on the GetCurrentVersion call (which basically says no one handled the action). In effect GE is not responding to any AppleScript events. If you quit and relaunch GE, it works one more time. tell application "Google Earth" GetCurrentVersion GetViewInfo SetViewInfo {latitude:-8, longitude:119, distance:1000, tilt:0, azimuth:1.8} activate end tell If you remove the activate call it works repeatedly. Apparently GE leaves something in a strange state after an AppleScript induced activate. This is with GC 9.4 and GE {7, 1, 2, 2041} running on 10.9.5. Mike
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,thanks for your reply.So, there is really an issue in GoogleEarth.I do not call activate. I send a direct Apple Event to GoogleEarth to get the view info.Thorsten Whether it works or not depends on what other software you have installed and what has been run recently. I experimented with this a few days ago and one package that seemed to aggravate the problem was Default Folder but removing it doesn't entirely solve the problem. It's true that GC can't talk to Google Earth and it's probably due to a bug in GE, but other programs have managed to find a way to work around the problems.I just ran another experiment. The following script works once, but then fails with error -1708 on the GetCurrentVersion call (which basically says no one handled the action). In effect GE is not responding to any AppleScript events. If you quit and relaunch GE, it works one more time. 
Mike Alexander

Post by Mike Alexander »

--On December 18, 2014 at 7:13:24 AM +0100 "Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac]" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > Hello, > > thanks for your reply. > So, there is really an issue in GoogleEarth. Yes, I think so. > > I do not call activate. I send a direct Apple Event to GoogleEarth to > get the view info. The behavior I've seen appears random enough that I don't really know what causes GE to get confused. Today "activate" seemed to be an issue, but I don't recall seeing that before. Something else GC is doing may be triggering the problem. Perhaps Google's engineers know more about the problem. I haven't seen enough consistency to be confident that I know what triggers the problem. I am reasonably sure that the problem is in Google Earth, not the calling program, although at least one client program seems to have managed to find a way around the problem. Mike
itabashinoyatsu

Post by itabashinoyatsu »

If you can get a copy of GoogleEarth version 6, it will work beautifully with GraphicConverter. At least, it does on my system.There is an annoyance, though: when you launch GoogleEarth 6, it will silently "upgrade" itself to the current version, without asking for permission, and you will be stuck with a useless app the next time you open it.To avoid this, I keep GoogleEarth 6 on its own disk image and launch it from there every time.Have fun!
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

Marble may be an alternative solution to GE https://marble.kde.org/ Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] wrote on 18.12.14 07:13: >(...) > So, there is really an issue in GoogleEarth. >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,it looks like an app without an AppleScript interface.Thorsten Marble may be an alternative solution to GEhttps://marble.kde.org/