[ANN] GraphicConverter 9.5 released

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
eligurwayne

Re: Very strange Console messages apparently related to Quartz

Post by eligurwayne »

That al was VERY HELPFUL to me. I want to express my appreciation and was always looking for some help of how to use the Apple system.Heck I have been on it for 10 years now just using it 8 hours per day at times...it worked and then it gave me a problem.. You say software issues are  another thing... how can you tell if the government is looking/recording specifically on here? They designed it I believe as it's their own work Stanford University helped design the Apple OS...etc... Was called NextStep OS in 1989 Apple's former pres. bought this OS and then was re elected to head Apple and he made this really good OS into a meagre OS-X... have I got it right? It was a multi platform OS and very fast too. NextStep. is on the WEb and You Tube.Again appreciate the advice and info!
David Knodel

Post by David Knodel »

IIRC, under the hood the Mac OS is based on at&t’s Unix OS a pretty stable and time-proven OS.NEXT was formed by some Apple renegades and never got off the ground - the Apple OS was already established and of course the huge competition from big-blue IBM.*chuckle* of course there is the infamous IBM mini with its ‘Chicklet’ keyboard.dvd(who had the first Mac in Houston - it had a whopping 1 meg of RAM i think and copying a disk took about 16 swaps in and out of the drive) - all that for a tiny 400 kb disk) On Dec 22, 2014, at 19:06, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:That al was VERY HELPFUL to me. I want to express my appreciation and was always looking for some help of how to use the Apple system.Heck I have been on it for 10 years now just using it 8 hours per day at times...it worked and then it gave me a problem.. You say software issues are  another thing... how can you tell if the government is looking/recording specifically on here? They designed it I believe as it's their own work Stanford University helped design the Apple OS...etc... Was called NextStep OS in 1989 Apple's former pres. bought this OS and then was re elected to head Apple and he made this really good OS into a meagre OS-X... have I got it right? It was a multi platform OS and very fast too. NextStep. is on the WEb and You Tube.Again appreciate the advice and info!
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Having to off topic {GC] but knowing more of the inner workings of the Mac - it may have got the application GC to operate as usual doing these maintenance fixes as suggested...on to NextStep... so I disagree with the history of that OS it was totally heisted and remade look at the OS itself it has parts of that system in the current OS X even.  the programs running Apple start with NS   [nextstep]Apple's president then did not even rewrite any codes.. in 1989here is a dump of a OS 10.6.8 process,,2505 Thread_817       2505 thread_start         2505 _pthread_start           2505 __NSThread__main__             2505 RegisterAppTracker               2505 -[NSRunLoop(NSRunLoop) run]                 2505 -[NSRunLoop(NSRunLoop) runM
Deborah Oakley

Post by Deborah Oakley »

On Dec 22, 2014, at 7:54 PM, David Knodel dknodel@swbell.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: NEXT was formed by some Apple renegadesUnderstatement of the day, considering Jobs was the primary renegade! <g>Deborah
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

And as for that super advanced multiple platform OS Nextstep where did it appear from? Well, I say it sounds a lot like NSA!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQaqDQx3Lo8
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Just can't accept this with what I just posted and researched..
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

> On Dec 23, 2014, at 1:47 AM, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > Just can't accept this with what I just posted and researched.. This statement makes no sense whatsoever -- can't accept what? PLEASE include whatever it is you are commenting about -- statements like this posted to a mailing list are incredibly annoying to individuals reading them. T.T.F.N. William H. Magill magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

> On Dec 22, 2014, at 10:54 PM, David Knodel dknodel@swbell.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > IIRC, under the hood the Mac OS is based on at&t’s Unix OS a pretty stable and time-proven OS. > > NEXT was formed by some Apple renegades and never got off the ground - the Apple OS was already established and of course the huge competition from big-blue IBM. > *chuckle* of course there is the infamous IBM mini with its ‘Chicklet’ keyboard. > > dvd > (who had the first Mac in Houston - it had a whopping 1 meg of RAM i think and copying a disk took about 16 swaps in and out of the drive) - all that for a tiny 400 kb disk) > > >> On Dec 22, 2014, at 19:06, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: >> >> That al was VERY HELPFUL to me. I want to express my appreciation and was always looking for some help of how to use the Apple system. >> >> Heck I have been on it for 10 years now just using it 8 hours per day at times...it worked and then it gave me a problem.. You say software issues are another thing... how can you tell if the government is looking/recording specifically on here? They designed it I believe as it's their own work Stanford University helped design the Apple OS...etc... Was called NextStep OS in 1989 Apple's former pres. bought this OS and then was re elected to head Apple and he made this really good OS into a meagre OS-X... have I got it right? It was a multi platform OS and very fast too. NextStep. is on the WEb and You Tube. I'm a retired Unix(tm) System Administrator, longtime member of SAGE and USENIX -- and was a member of the Arpanet long before Al Gore "invented" it. The "development" of Unix was anything but "straight line." It was developed in the "Open" environment of the Academic World of the ARPAnet days. And if you think the ARPAnet was anything like the Internet of today, simply consider the fact that 56K was considered "high-speed" back in those days. While one cannot say that Stanford had nothing to do with it, Berkley is actually the "source" for the most common versions of Unix, including Linux, around today. However, Carnegie Mellon's (CMU) Mach is the much closer "parent" to NextStep, by way of OSF/1, known in later years as Digital Unix, and then Tru64-Unix. (Ultrix, DEC's earlier unix was "pure" BSD - and therefore a Monolithic-Kernel. Mach was a Micro-Kernel.) OSX, like NextStep and everything else, is a derivative of ATT's Unix! This is the best description of the "beginning" I've read: By April 1969, AT&T made a decision to withdraw Multics and go with GECOS. When Multics was withdrawn Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie needed to rewrite an operating system in order to play space travel on another smaller machine (a DEC PDP-7 [Programmed Data Processor 4K memory for user programs). The result was a system that a punning colleague called UNICS (UNiplexed Information and Computing Service) --an 'emasculated Multics'." http://www.computerhope.com/history/unix.htm And if you don't know what "Space Travel" is (not was) you clearly have never seen or played the coin-operated game "Asteroids." But I digress. Back in those days, an Operating System was all about hardware. Unix was developed on DEC PDP hardware, and only ran on that. Berkley Systems Development folks (BSD) began the process of "porting" and consequently made Unix "not so very much" hardware dependent. If you google "Unix Timeline" you will get many slightly different versions of the history and "major versions" of Unix. The Open Group has a good history of Unix and Timeline: http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix/history_timeline.html Computerworld has another: http://www.computerworld.com/article/25 ... -unix.html NeXT computer was founded by Steve Jobs after he got "thrown out" of Apple by "the board (John Scully)." (Jobs actually quit after loosing authority.) in 1985 Jobs sold all his Apple stock and founded NeXT, creating a computer for the University Market. As a result of Scully's "reorganization" of Apple, it was easy for Steve to take along the major portion of the Macintosh development team. The Next OS was derived from BSD and Mach. "The Cube" as we called it in those days, was a 6502 processor! NeXT Step was a good idea, but hardly "a good OS" when compared to OSX of today. NeXT Step was limited to the 6502 processor. In later years they ported it to other architectures, but that was as a development platform, not as an operating system. NeXT was a visionary system for the day -- however, it was very limited to the University Market -- if the University had deep pockets!. As I recall, the original Next machine was around $6000 - significantly more expensive than an IBM PC of the day, like more than double, almost triple, as I recall. === dvd - You must have had a "new" Mac -- 1 meg of ram! The original mac was 128K; the first revision was only to 512K. :) And don't forget -- for many, many years, the Apple Laserwriter was the most powerful computer that Apple Sold! T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.1 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.1 OSX Server (now dead) magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,please continue this discussion outside this group. It is for GraphicConverter.Thorsten > IIRC, under the hood the Mac OS is based on at&t’s Unix OS a pretty stable and time-proven OS.
Karsten Wolf

Post by Karsten Wolf »

Nice history. Almost. On 23.12.2014, at 11:49, 'William H. Magill' magill@mac.com [gcmac] wrote: > "The Cube" as we called it in those days, was a 6502 processor! I can see a lot of C-64 computing starters like myself chuckling at this. The NeXT Cube was driven by a Motorola 68040. Off Off Topic: See 6502 magic: http://visual6502.org/JSSim/index.html All you ever wanted to know about the C-64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsRRCnque2E -karsten