[ANN] GraphicConverter 9.5 released

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
eligurwayne

Re: Very strange Console messages apparently related to Quartz

Post by eligurwayne »

So you have to do this really quickly and what process say in Preview or in GC is working then? There are so much at once. Spin Dump
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

> On Dec 22, 2014, at 1:16 AM, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > Any body notice that the internet is more entwined with the overall computer workings as time goes on? And is the internet chronically slow for anyone else? Yes, this is what "the cloud." more specifically iCloud, is all about. More and more apps "check with the could first" -- for every thing from updates to authorization to use the app. All of the Apple Apps now default to "talking to the cloud" -- which mans that they have to time-out when there is any kind of communications delay or failure. The net has been plagued "recently" by DOS (Denial of Service) attacks at ransom entities which impact the net as a whole at random times for random periods of time. Similarly, one of the "bot nets" which had been "smashed" from about January through May of 2014 has been back in full form since about July... generating massive amounts of spam traffic. The days of your desktop machine being isolated, sitting on your desktop, are over. Clean installs can do nothing to resolve this issue. The term "clean Install" is badly misused today, especially on the Mac -- if you REALLY want to do a "clean Install," you need to do a disk-wipe, initialize your hard-drive and re-install it from new media WITHOUT using any of your old settings, preferences or other information. Apple makes it very easy to negate the primary benefits of a clean install, by allowing you to "recover" information you had previously defined, i.e. preferences, settings and the like. And sadly, the fact that you rarely have install media for the current release available makes this just that much more difficult -- you are forced to install an Old Version, and then upgrade it once or twice or more! All of which is much faster and more "user friendly" -- but it negates the premise behind a "clean install." You end up with a system which is "mostly clean." It is probably cleaner than it was before you started -- but not necessarily - those settings and preferences "recovered" can be the root cause of many problems. T.T.F.N. William H. Magill magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
Bill Bedford

Post by Bill Bedford »

On 21 Dec 2014 22:16:29 -0800, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] wrote: > This slowness is rampant on my machine even after a reinstall of the > OS it is worse. > Gc is a third party application it has to go through the UNIX layer > whereas the Apple programs many times bypass the Unix layer looking > at the packages. Try restarting in safe mode -- restart while holding down the shift key. If you machine loses it's sluggishness then you have too many extensions loaded, and probably many of them can be removed. -- Bill Bedford "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun" -- Clifford Geertz
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Nah not any better and all my preset preferences wiped out at launch! Wow what happened to Apple?
Bill Bedford

Post by Bill Bedford »

On 22 Dec 2014 10:13:46 -0800, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] wrote: > Nah not any better and all my preset preferences wiped out at launch! If you restart in to normal mode your preferences will come back. -- Bill Bedford "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun" -- Clifford Geertz
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Oh yes I did use Disc Utility to [zero out] wipe the disc prior to OS instal  I actually forgot to empty trash before all this and guess what? The trash was intact  [still there] after the whole thing was over!That Utility has got to do better! Is there some third party out there that goes from edge to edge wiping it all totally out prior to OS-X instal?
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Restart in safe mode made vast [preference] errors in my system. I am not doing well or is it the whole product? Also I lost the FLASH DRIVE recognition in Safe Mode... I give up.
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Yeah but the safe mode is in shambles on 10.6
William H. Magill

> On Dec 22, 2014, at 1:21 PM, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > Restart in safe mode made vast [preference] errors in my system. I am not doing well or is it the whole product? Also I lost the FLASH DRIVE recognition in Safe Mode... I give up. Do you understand what Safe Mode means? Safe mode suppresses some, but not all, Apple "features." It basically prevents the loading of "Kernel-mods" which were/are-still extensively used by "old-style" Applications which believe they must be able to modify the Operating System rather than follow the APIs. Safe Mode provides a "cleaner" -- but not a clean" - environment for troubleshooting. In Safe Mode it is highly unlikely than most applications will operate correctly as they rely upon various Apple functions which are not enabled. That you are experiencing " vast [preference] errors" is to be expected in Safe Mode -- and in fact implies that you have (or had) a large number of applications installed which are polluting your computing environment. Use something like EtreCheck and get rid of all of the old/unused/strange stuff you find there. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262 "Some OS X features aren't available when your Mac is started in Safe Mode. For example, you can't use DVD Player, capture video in iMovie, or use audio input or output devices. Some USB, FireWire and Thunderbolt devices may not be available. Wi-Fi networking might be limited or unavailable depending on the computer and OS X version you're using. Safe Mode in OS X v10.5 or later also disables hardware accelerated graphics. The OS X menu bar appears solid even if "Translucent Menu Bar" is enabled in Desktop & Screen Saver preferences. Your screen might also "blink" or "tear" during login. Safe Mode in OS X v10.6 or later also disables File Sharing. This means you can't mount Time Capsule disks or volumes served by computers started in Safe Mode." T.T.F.N. William H. Magill magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
William H. Magill

> On Dec 22, 2014, at 1:19 PM, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > Oh yes I did use Disc Utility to [zero out] wipe the disc prior to OS instal I actually forgot to empty trash before all this and guess what? The trash was intact [still there] after the whole thing was over! > > > That Utility has got to do better! Is there some third party out there that goes from edge to edge wiping it all totally out prior to OS-X instal? How did you run Disk Utility? -- You cannot erase the disk you have booted from. Since Apple no longer "normally" provides stand-alone boot disks, the best way to deal with problems like this is to use a third-party utility -- Things like "Tech-Tool Pro" from Micromat or "Disk Warrio"r from Alsoft. Both are essential utilities for anyone involved in troubleshooting Mac issues; both cost money and are updated routinely following Apple OS updates - meaning that you need the latest version to run on the latest version of OSX. Each provides different tools and are primarily hardware oriented. Dealing with software problems are inherently different and much much more difficult - Tools like EtreCheck from Etresoft are helpful as they provide a "standard format" for describing your problem. It is recommended (and was developed for) use with Apple's support forums. However, all software troubleshooting starts with being able to reproduce the problem in a VIRGIN environment - one which contains ONLY software provided by Apple in a distribution, no add-ons except the one you are working on. It is not an easy process. T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.1 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.1 OSX Server (now dead) magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com