Automatic Orientation and Printer Presets

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
watcombeman

Automatic Orientation and Printer Presets

Post by watcombeman »

I am newly returned to the GC forum after about a year’s absence. So If I am raising something that has already been well discussed, please bear with me.I seem to be having a problem with “Orientation Depending on image proportions”.It works fine for me with Printer Presets set to Default Settings. But I have a Canon MG5150, which has both a casette and a rear tray. If I create a printer preset to force it to use the latter (this involves only one change in the Quality and Media options) and call it Rear Tray, automatic orientation ceases to work on the preset. It stays stubbornly on Portrait.This is not a show-stopper; I can easily rotate an image into portrait orientation. This never happened until I upgraded to Yosemite, and I suspect it did work in the presets inherited from Mavericks when I upgraded. But I’ve deleted the printer and reinstalled it since them, and it certainly doesn’t work now :-(If I create a preset as a copy of Default Settings, then it either works or doesn’t, depending on whether I go to the copy from Default Settings or Rear Tray.Has anybody else seen this, or is it peculiar to me?All software (OS, GC and printer drivers) fully up to date, BTW.John.
watcombeman

Re: Automatic Orientation and Printer Presets

Post by watcombeman »

"I seem to be having a problem with 'Orientation Depending on image proportions'.It works fine for me with Printer Presets set to Default Settings. But I have a Canon MG5150, which has both a casette and a rear tray. If I create a printer preset to force it to use the latter (this involves only one change in the Quality and Media options) and call it Rear Tray, automatic orientation ceases to work on the preset. It stays stubbornly on Portrait."As a follow-up to the above, I have now located the Printer Preset files in Yosemite and in a clone of my Mavericks set-up made before I upgraded. They are substantially different - the Mavericks version is 500 lines long and the Yosemite version has 568  lines.This is probably yet another Yosemite change with which GC has not yet caught up - there must be hundreds of them, considering how much Yosemite has mucked things about.So it is quite possible that auto-orientation would work with presets inherited from Mavericks, but not with those created in Yosemite.Thorsten, if you are watching this and are minded to follow it up, I can send you copies of both versions of the Printer Preset file.John.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear John,I just call the printer driver interface with the orientation. So, maybe your driver do not support that under Yosemite.Thorsten "I seem to be having a problem with 'Orientation Depending on image proportions'.It works fine for me with Printer Presets set to Default Settings. But I have a Canon MG5150, which has both a casette and a rear tray. If I create a printer preset to force it to use the latter (this involves only one change in the Quality and Media options) and call it Rear Tray, automatic orientation ceases to work on the preset. It stays stubbornly on Portrait."As a follow-up to the above, I have now located the Printer Preset files in Yosemite and in a clone of my Mavericks set-up made before I upgraded. They are substantially different - the Mavericks version is 500 lines long and the Yosemite version has 568  lines.This is probably yet another Yosemite change with which GC has not yet caught up - there must be hundreds of them, considering how much Yosemite has mucked things about.So it is quite possible that auto-orientation would work with presets inherited from Mavericks, but not with those created in Yosemite.Thorsten, if you are watching this and are minded to follow it up, I can send you copies of both versions of the Printer Preset file.
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

The strangest thing has happened!As an experiment, I replaced the Yosemite-created Printer Presets by those from Mavericks.This had no effect, so i did a Restart in case the Printer Presets were reloaded at startup. This broke TWAIN again, of course, but I’m used to that and reinstalled the scanner driver.Still no effect - the presets remained stuck in Portrait.I turned auto-orientation off, and experimented with that. The Default Settings honoured the Page Setup orientation, but the presets ignored it. I turned auto-orientation back on - still no change.At this point I got fed up, and thought “If these presets are not going to work with GC, I might as well use the Yosemite versions” and deleted them. I then re-created them from Default Settings for the umpteenth time.And to my amazement, they now responded correctly!  Orientation was correctly matched to the image proportion.On closing GC and relaunching it, they still do.I have no idea why or how this happened. But I am going to leave well alone in the hope that they stay fixed.On looking back over thirty years of using Macs, printers and scanners have caused me more problems that everything else put together.John.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear John,I have no such issues with my EPSON Aculaser. So, that looks really like a driver issue. Maybe it is not completely Yosemite compatible.Thorsten The strangest thing has happened!. 
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Yes, I agree. I will keep an eye on the driver download page, in case an update appears. On 16 Jan 2015, at 10:29, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Dear John,I have no such issues with my EPSON Aculaser. So, that looks really like a driver issue. Maybe it is not completely Yosemite compatible.ThorstenThe strangest thing has happened!.