Trouble with TWAIN

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
watcombeman

Trouble with TWAIN

Post by watcombeman »

I’m sorry this is a bit long, but I’ve tried to be as brief as I can.I have been using “Scan with TWAIN” in GraphicConverter to acquire images from the scanner and edit them in GraphicConverter for many years. In particular, I’ve been using it with my present iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007) and all-in-one (Canon Pixma MG 5140) under both Snow Leopard and Mavericks. I have always kept GraphicConverter, the System and the Canon printer and scanner drivers up to date.Alas, upgrading to Yosemite introduced a problem. I select “Scan with TWAIN”, and find there is a TWO MINUTE wait before the scanner software starts. It then works as it should. Activity Monitor shows that during this two minute gap, GC is “Not responding” and inactive, and Image Capture Extension is “Not responding”, using some 11% CPU time and showing around 3000 Idle Wake Ups. The scanner dialogue opens when this furious activity ceases.I have found two ways of getting the normal behaviour back:1). Force Quit the Image Capture Extension in Activity Monitor cures the problem at once, but renders Image Capture useless.2. Installing the scanner driver software while GC is not active also cures it.A Restart or similar brings the problem back.I have reported this to Thorsten, but he is unable to resolve it. He is of the opinion that Yosemite has broken TWAIN.Well, yes, because exactly the same 5150 drivers and GraphicConverter do work, flawlessly, under Mavericks. But is it broken for everyone, or only users of the 5150, or is it just my iMac?I’d like to be better prepared before I approach either Apple or Canon over this. Alas, I have no other printer to try, and cannot find another application that uses TWAiN to get images from the 5150.So I’d appreciate feedback from any Forum readers who are using TWAIN under Yosemite:1) Is it giving you any problems?2) What scanner or all-in-one are you using?3) Can you use TWAiN with applications other than GraphicConverter?I’m posting this to uk.comp.sys.mac as well, so if you subscribe to both you’ll see it there.
thorstenlemke

Re: Trouble with TWAIN

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,the problem is the scanner driver. I just call twain. There is no change between 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 or 10.10.Maybe the driver is not 10.10 compatible.Did you try to scan with image capture? That are the apple generic drivers.Thorsten I’m sorry this is a bit long, but I’ve tried to be as brief as I can.I have been using “Scan with TWAIN” in GraphicConverter to acquire images from the scanner and edit them in GraphicConverter for many years. In particular, I’ve been using it with my present iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007) and all-in-one (Canon Pixma MG 5140) under both Snow Leopard and Mavericks. I have always kept GraphicConverter, the System and the Canon printer and scanner drivers up to date.Alas, upgrading to Yosemite introduced a problem. I select “Scan with TWAIN”, and find there is a TWO MINUTE wait before the scanner software starts. It then works as it should. Activity Monitor shows that during this two minute gap, GC is “Not responding” and inactive, and Image Capture Extension is “Not responding”, using some 11% CPU time and showing around 3000 Idle Wake Ups. The scanner dialogue opens when this furious activity ceases.. 
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Image Capture works perfectly, but gives me less control and the results are not quite as good  (or so it seems to me).I can call ScanGear (the Canon interface to the driver) direct from Canon software, but it it then tedious to get the image into GC.I could go either way (or find out how to edit in the Canon software if it all gets too tedious.But something is amiss, and I’d like to find out what (and where).John. On 4 Feb 2015, at 17:08, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,the problem is the scanner driver. I just call twain. There is no change between 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 or 10.10.Maybe the driver is not 10.10 compatible.Did you try to scan with image capture? That are the apple generic drivers.Thorsten
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

> On Feb 4, 2015, at 11:48 AM, john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > Alas, upgrading to Yosemite introduced a problem. I select “Scan with TWAIN”, and find there is a TWO MINUTE wait before the scanner software starts. It then works as it should. Activity Monitor shows that during this two minute gap, GC is “Not responding” and inactive, and Image Capture Extension is “Not responding”, using some 11% CPU time and showing around 3000 Idle Wake Ups. The scanner dialogue opens when this furious activity ceases. This is an Apple "problem," not GC -- it relates directly to Yosemite and shows up with anything/everything -- including Mail/Safari/Preview/Calendar, etc. as well as any third-party software. There are also many times when you look in Activity Monitor and you will see many different processes showing up as "not responding" -- apparently especially ones related to Core Audio and a thing called "com.apple.geod." This issue has been posted multiple times on the Apple.com Support forums -- but nothing has addressed the issue. (And, naturally, Apple makes no comments.) I have an 8 gig, 27 inch late-2010 iMac, now running 10.10.2 and the "problem" still is visible -- both the non-responding entries in Activity Monitor and the fact that launching an app, such as Mail -- takes FOREVER! Personally, I believe there are multiple issues involved -- all relating to the major changes Apple made to Memory management in Yosemite... all in the name of "battery management" (App Nap), and IOS and iCloud integration (Handoff). One thing which you can do, which may or may not impact this specific problem, but which DOES impact many other "strange" graphics display situations -- Open "System Preferences/Accessibility" and check "Reduce Transparency." This is a new "Accessibility" feature in Yosemite, and, for me at least, shows up glaringly with banner adds in Safari. Most of the slowness appears to be related to iCloud integration -- probably the implementation of "Handoff." Simply put, in order for Handoff (or iCloud Drive) to work, your system must communicate over the Internet to "the cloud." Consequently, depending upon your ISP's connection speed, it will take time to ESTABLISH the structure. I say ESTABLISH because, if you leave apps running, you do not see the Launch-Lag! There are two Apple documents which describe many of these features implemented in Yosemite -- but make no reference to possible impacts. All-new features in OSX Yosemite: http://www.apple.com/osx/all-features/ The Yosemite Core Technologies Overview: http://images.apple.com/osx/pdf/OSXYosemite_TO_FF1.pdf One thing I would recommend for troubleshooting "weirdness" -- Etrecheck -- http://etresoft.com/etrecheck It was developed for finding and posting "relevant information" about your system to the Apple Support forums. Personally I found it important to run after upgrading to Yosemite - simply because of the problems of "non-Yosemite-compatable" apps and extensions. It's a good way to identify and get rid of "cruft." If you google "not responding Yosemite" you will find many things listed as well as many "maybe-fixes." One that I have come to rely upon besides the "Turn it off and back on again" (i.e. power cycle, not reboot) is to run "Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility" - repair disk permissions after any OSX update. If nothing else, the first thing it does is "fixes" the permissions on a recent printer upgrade... (Epson). T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.2 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.2 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com