GC encounters high CPU temperatures

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
eligurwayne

GC encounters high CPU temperatures

Post by eligurwayne »

I'm using GC for 10 years and as my skills improve the program becomes easier and yet the demand on the cpu is high. So is PREVIEW which uses even more memory and cpu.I use these in re construction of images.The MacBook can get very hot at times. Is there a way to keep it cool, is a external fan an option? Or cpu paste, fan other?
thorstenlemke

Re: GC encounters high CPU temperatures

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,what do you do exactly? I get here no fan speedup with my MacBook Pro.Can I get a sample file and the steps?Thorsten I'm using GC for 10 years and as my skills improve the program becomes easier and yet the demand on the cpu is high. So is PREVIEW which uses even more memory and cpu.I use these in re construction of images.The MacBook can get very hot at times. Is there a way to keep it cool, is a external fan an option? Or cpu paste, fan other?
J.J. McVeigh

Post by J.J. McVeigh »

On 14 Feb 2015 09:29:29 -0800, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] wrote: > > > I'm using GC for 10 years and as my skills improve the program > becomes easier and yet the demand on the cpu is high. So is PREVIEW > which uses even more memory and cpu. > > I use these in re construction of images. > > The MacBook can get very hot at times. Is there a way to keep it > cool, is a external fan an option? Or cpu paste, fan other? I suggest that you install iStats Menus and use a speed curve other than Apple's default, which I believe is too conservative. I installed iStats Menus on my Retina MacBook Pro for that very reason. As a result, the RMBP runs much cooler. iStats Menus provides you with the ability to independently control the speeds for the left and right fans. <http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/> I have no financial interest: I am merely a satisfied, paid-for-license user. J.J. McVeigh, Attorney At Law Butler, Maryland Practice before the Federal Communications Commission Member: NY, DC, and USPTO Bars
David Knodel

Post by David Knodel »

I have been using pad called a TheraPak for years.  It is passive and keeps your computer and your lap cool.http://thermapak.com/products/heatshift ... ler/forget the fans - i went through several - they are nosey and don’t last…dvd On Feb 14, 2015, at 11:29, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I'm using GC for 10 years and as my skills improve the program becomes easier and yet the demand on the cpu is high. So is PREVIEW which uses even more memory and cpu.I use these in re construction of images.The MacBook can get very hot at times. Is there a way to keep it cool, is a external fan an option? Or cpu paste, fan other?
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

open image in preview or Gc set size to 72dpi and 138 x 138sharpen, and color basic controls,Save Imageopen in ColorSync adjust parameters save as 'best'repeat in ColoSync and Preview, while using, [color wheels' black and white point] twice more; there will be different black and white points each open and save round.Trying to do three color additive filter sets to decode... one image and final Profile.Then use just all GC features in order ..brightness with curvecolor balancehighlights shadowsequalizerHistogram Gamma Correctionunsharp maskenhance local contrastsharpen edges diagonal and mainplug in filter, mean 3x3channels/frames - optimize blue channelFilter XE 847 manual adjustSize to pixel countCore Filtersmotion blur radius 1.77; angle of 1.76 [on first pass]then do blur radius 1.26; angle of 252 [on second pass]Noise reduction Sharpen one or two passesColor Adjustment color controls exposure adjust gamma hue adjust white point.Alpha Channel  un pre multiplied to multiplied flatten channelsave image 99%open in Previewfine tune color of image once or twice more finished productGC is superb at decoding NASA ESA and any image released to the public. Every function re assembles the pixels into a new image practically, making every item these government agencies want to hide evident. Preview is memory hog KING of this OS and Apple Co.While the Preview app. is functioning it does heat the cpu up. Not as mildly as GC but I do all this rather quickly and Preview is unforgiving and haver logged many crashes where Preview just locks up.GC uses a more complex set of Cocoa it seems and if I make a file size error it , GC will crash up.In Unsharp Mask and Enhance Local Contrast function if I don't sense the exact combination of pixel size and Radius amount and especially the threshold it makes an auto crash instantly. Now it is February in Arizona my temperature usually is F 70 or 80 currently, my computer CPU ranges now in 120 F to 165 F - if I am on this project an hour it builds up. In summer months it gets very hot.
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 3:45 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] GC encounters high CPU temperatures open image in preview or Gc set size to 72dpi and 138 x 138sharpen, and color basic controls,Save Imageopen in ColorSync adjust parameters save as 'best'repeat in ColoSync and Preview, while using, [color wheels' black and white point] twice more; there will be different black and white points each open and save round.Trying to do three color additive filter sets to decode... one image and final Profile.Then use just all GC features in order ..brightness with curvecolor balancehighlights shadowsequalizerHistogram Gamma Correctionunsharp maskenhance local contrastsharpen edges diagonal and mainplug in filter, mean 3x3channels/frames - optimize blue channelFilter XE 847 manual adjustSize to pixel countCore Filtersmotion blur radius 1.77; angle of 1.76 [on first pass]then do blur radius 1.26; angle of 252 [on second pass]Noise reduction Sharpen one or two passesColor Adjustment color controls exposure adjust gamma hue adjust white point.Alpha Channel  un pre multiplied to multiplied flatten channelsave image 99%open in Previewfine tune color of image once or twice more finished productGC is superb at decoding NASA ESA and any image released to the public. Every function re assembles the pixels into a new image practically, making every item these government agencies want to hide evident. Preview is memory hog KING of this OS and Apple Co.While the Preview app. is functioning it does heat the cpu up. Not as mildly as GC but I do all this rather quickly and Preview is unforgiving and haver logged many crashes where Preview just locks up.GC uses a more complex set of Cocoa it seems and if I make a file size error it , GC will crash up.In Unsharp Mask and Enhance Local Contrast function if I don't sense the exact combination of pixel size and Radius amount and especially the threshold it makes an auto crash instantly. Now it is February in Arizona my temperature usually is F 70 or 80 currently, my computer CPU ranges now in 120 F to 165 F - if I am on this project an hour it builds up. In summer months it gets very hot.Core Filtersmotion blur radius 1.77; angle of 1.76 [on first pass]save image then rotate left 90 degrees thenthen do blur radius 1.26; angle of 252 [on second pass]The impressed at release date 'masking of the image' hides any details other than what can be seen. By rotating and blurring out this 'mask' it is possible and designed to restore as much as 3 or 4 times  details hidden.On my FICKR page is listed some of the images these agencies tend to systematically hide from the public that I have un deciphered using GC.
Dominick Frank Issi

Post by Dominick Frank Issi »

You didn’t provide your Model (MBP?), CPU, Memory or HD (SSD?). The older the CPU, the smaller the memory and the type of HD (+Speed if not SSD) the hotter it’ll run when working. I also use a small App called “Memory Diag” that’ll allow me to compress/free up memory when I’ve got a few things (like Safari) running in the background. You also need to breakout “Activity Monitor” to figure out exactly which Apps and “Kernel Tasks" are stealing CPU. You can also track “Energy Impact” of those apps.Good Hunting!Take Care///DominickOn Feb 14, 2015, at 6:01 PM, Wayne Eligur eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: From: Wayne Eligur <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca>To: "gcmac@yahoogroups.com" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 3:45 PMSubject: Re: [gcmac] GC encounters high CPU temperaturesopen image in preview or Gc set size to 72dpi and 138 x 138sharpen, and color basic controls,Save Imageopen in ColorSync adjust parameters save as 'best'repeat in ColoSync and Preview, while using, [color wheels' black and white point] twice more; there will be different black and white points each open and save round.Trying to do three color additive filter sets to decode... one image and final Profile.Then use just all GC features in order ..brightness with curvecolor balancehighlights shadowsequalizerHistogram Gamma Correctionunsharp maskenhance local contrastsharpen edges diagonal and mainplug in filter, mean 3x3channels/frames - optimize blue channelFilter XE 847 manual adjustSize to pixel countCore Filtersmotion blur radius 1.77; angle of 1.76 [on first pass]then do blur radius 1.26; angle of 252 [on second pass]Noise reduction Sharpen one or two passesColor Adjustment color controls exposure adjust gamma hue adjust white point.Alpha Channel  un pre multiplied to multiplied flatten channelsave image 99%open in Previewfine tune color of image once or twice more finished productGC is superb at decoding NASA ESA and any image released to the public. Every function re assembles the pixels into a new image practically, making every item these government agencies want to hide evident. Preview is memory hog KING of this OS and Apple Co.While the Preview app. is functioning it does heat the cpu up. Not as mildly as GC but I do all this rather quickly and Preview is unforgiving and haver logged many crashes where Preview just locks up.GC uses a more complex set of Cocoa it seems and if I make a file size error it , GC will crash up.In Unsharp Mask and Enhance Local Contrast function if I don't sense the exact combination of pixel size and Radius amount and especially the threshold it makes an auto crash instantly. Now it is February in Arizona my temperature usually is F 70 or 80 currently, my computer CPU ranges now in 120 F to 165 F - if I am on this project an hour it builds up. In summer months it gets very hot.Core Filtersmotion blur radius 1.77; angle of 1.76 [on first pass]save image then rotate left 90 degrees thenthen do blur radius 1.26; angle of 252 [on second pass]The impressed at release date 'masking of the image' hides any details other than what can be seen. By rotating and blurring out this 'mask' it is possible and designed to restore as much as 3 or 4 times  details hidden.On my FICKR page is listed some of the images these agencies tend to systematically hide from the public that I have un deciphered using GC.
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

The App PREVIEW does dominate the memory I have the idea to upgrade to SSD I have an 09 MacBook 5 GB RAM I use free memory Pro but it takes time to free the memory once apps. have it bound up - and sometimes the RAM is run all the  way down to 20 MB !!  before any can be given up.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Wayne,how much memory do you have?Do you really want a result of only 138x138 pixel?Thorsten . 
Richard Ball

Post by Richard Ball »

Thorsten,As far as I can understand he is downloading images at sizes up to 4095 x 4095 pixels and then up sampling them to 9936 x 9936 pixels. So he is working with files with 4 times as many imaginary pixels as real pixels on a machine that is undersized for the job (only 5GB of memory).  It is nor surprising that the cpu gets hot and, deepening on what else it is doing, being slow or even crashing. The minimum memory size for what he is doing would be 8GB and better at 12 or 16.Rich On Feb 15, 2015, at 4:37, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Dear Wayne,how much memory do you have?Do you really want a result of only 138x138 pixel?Thorsten.