File Renaming Question

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Russell

File Renaming Question

Post by Russell »

I use the Rename function of GC all the time and find it a powerful tool.  I would like to be able to use the folder name as part of the new file name.  On page 38 of the Hagens Manual, there is a reference to an “&parent” command If you want to insert the name of the parent folder in the filename, enter “&parent” in the respective box without the inverted commas.  How, exactly, do you use this command?  When I type that into the name box all I get is   “_parent”.  I am not a programer.Thanks,Russell
thorstenlemke

Re: File Renaming Question

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Russell,the real replacement will be done upon clicking on ok.The preview do bot fetch the folder name.Thorsten I use the Rename function of GC all the time and find it a powerful tool.  I would like to be able to use the folder name as part of the new file name.  On page 38 of the Hagens Manual, there is a reference to an “&parent” command If you want to insert the name of the parent folder in the filename, enter “&parent” in the respective box without the inverted commas. How, exactly, do you use this command?  When I type that into the name box all I get is   “_parent”.  I am not a programer.Thanks,Russell
Russell

Post by Russell »

Sorry, I’ve tried that before.  Here is a screen capture from right now.Please correct me if I am wrong, but using the &parent, I should get files named UpLoads - Copy Only IMAG123…x.jpg, right?I have attempted this a number of times, on file/folders with short, simple names w/o spaces etc.  If this can not be done, that is OK, I will just type out the name.Can the &parent command be nested?  Can it take a folder name and a sub-folder name?  Probably not very useful to me, but if it can be done ….Ver 9.5.1 - 1808Thank you,Russell On Mar 2, 2015, at 8:02 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Dear Russell,the real replacement will be done upon clicking on ok.The preview do bot fetch the folder name.ThorstenI use the Rename function of GC all the time and find it a powerful tool.  I would like to be able to use the folder name as part of the new file name.  On page 38 of the Hagens Manual, there is a reference to an “&parent” command If you want to insert the name of the parent folder in the filename, enter “&parent” in the respective box without the inverted commas. How, exactly, do you use this command?  When I type that into the name box all I get is   “_parent”.  I am not a programer.Thanks,Russell
thorstenlemke

Re: File Renaming Question [1 Attachment]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,I rechecked it here.It works already in the preview.Did you enter &parent;  ?Thorsten [Attachment(s) from Russell included below]Sorry, I’ve tried that before.  Here is a screen capture from right now.Please correct me if I am wrong, but using the &parent, I should get files named UpLoads - Copy Only IMAG123…x.jpg, right?I have attempted this a number of times, on file/folders with short, simple names w/o spaces etc.  If this can not be done, that is OK, I will just type out the name.Can the &parent command be nested?  Can it take a folder name and a sub-folder name?  Probably not very useful to me, but if it can be done ….Ver 9.5.1 - 1808Thank you,Russell
Russell

Post by Russell »

OK, the correct command is &parent;  That would be a semi-colon on the end.  I don’t know what the semi-colon does, but you are missing it in your documentation.  Please update your manual.With the semi-colon, everything works just fine.Thank you,Russell On Mar 3, 2015, at 3:24 PM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,I rechecked it here.It works already in the preview.Did you enter &parent;  ?Thorsten<Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 21.23.41.png>[Attachment(s) from Russell included below]Sorry, I’ve tried that before.  Here is a screen capture from right now.Please correct me if I am wrong, but using the &parent, I should get files named UpLoads - Copy Only IMAG123…x.jpg, right?I have attempted this a number of times, on file/folders with short, simple names w/o spaces etc.  If this can not be done, that is OK, I will just type out the name.Can the &parent command be nested?  Can it take a folder name and a sub-folder name?  Probably not very useful to me, but if it can be done ….Ver 9.5.1 - 1808Thank you,Russell