Can't add EXIF date to JPG

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
havema1

Can't add EXIF date to JPG

Post by havema1 »

Attachments :bw.jpg.zipHello,Why can't I add EXIF date to this JPG file?Other JPGs are OK but I have a few thousand recently digitized JPGs that fail this. (GC 9.4, OS X 10.10.2).regards,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Re: Can't add EXIF date to JPG [1 Attachment]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Matti,that looks like corrupted metadata. The check may take a bit.Thorsten Hello,Why can't I add EXIF date to this JPG file?Other JPGs are OK but I have a few thousand recently digitized JPGs that fail this. (GC 9.4, OS X 10.10.2).regards,- Matti
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Hello,I can add EXIF data if I re-save as JPG. But I'd rather not re-save in a lossless format, if possible.p.s. I have 5000 similar JPGs converted from old color and B&W negatives.A year ago I used another but a similar device to convert 5400 slides. Then I could add EXIF dates to JPGs so apps like iPhoto neatly sort and show the approximate dates and times of the old images. And I could use GC to neatly rename the files based on their EXIF dates.Now I have used GC's awesome batch rename (change filename, add index, change index, add characters at the desired position in the filename, change extension etc -- GREAT!) to put the scanned files in order. But I still need to add EXIF dates and ratings.regards,- Matti
havema1

Post by havema1 »

I wrote: > But I'd rather not re-save in a lossless format, if possible. That should of course be:But I'd rather not re-save in a lossy format, if possible.- Matti
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Hello, > that looks like corrupted metadata I first tried to:File > Browse... > Action> Metadata... > EXIF > Delete EXIF Tags......but the problem persisted. Then I tried a similar (?) command:File > Browse... > Action> Metadata... > General > Remove Metadata... > EXIFTHEN I can add EXIF date to the JPG.Of course I lose the original EXIF data but that is not so important.Is this the right way to fix the files or are there better alternatives to do it right?regards,- Matti 
thorstenlemke

Re: Can't add EXIF date to JPG

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dera Matti,I am still searching.Please wait two days. I hope to get a good solution.Thorsten Hello,> that looks like corrupted metadataI first tried to:File > Browse... > Action> Metadata... > EXIF > Delete EXIF Tags......but the problem persisted. Then I tried a similar (?) command:File > Browse... > Action> Metadata... > General > Remove Metadata... > EXIFTHEN I can add EXIF date to the JPG.Of course I lose the original EXIF data but that is not so important.Is this the right way to fix the files or are there better alternatives to do it right?regards,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Matti,the stored MakerNote in the images is not OK. I will add a workaround for this situation.Thorsten Hello,Why can't I add EXIF date to this JPG file?Other JPGs are OK but I have a few thousand recently digitized JPGs that fail this. (GC 9.4, OS X 10.10.2).regards,- Matti
havema1

Post by havema1 »

I wrote: > File > Browse... > Action> Metadata... > General > Remove Metadata... > EXIF> THEN I can add EXIF date to the JPG. ...but I can add EXIF dates ONLY in GC -- iPhoto refuses to modify EXIF dates in such JPGs.So my workaround does not really work.- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Matti,so, found it.The scanner did write bad maker note. The new beta will display a correct error message.Just select from the context menu Actions/Metadata/Remove Maker note and comment.The setting of the exif date (for example) will work after that.You can download the latest BETA here:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlThorsten Why can't I add EXIF date to this JPG file?Other JPGs are OK but I have a few thousand recently digitized JPGs that fail this. (GC 9.4, OS X 10.10.2).regards,
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Hello, > The new beta will display a correct error message.> Just select from the context menu > Actions/Metadata/Remove Maker note and comment.> The setting of the exif date (for example) will work after that. Thanks for the note. GC now issues the warning. If the user tried to set EXIF date to multiple files, the error message must be acknowledged many times. Could there be an abort command instead so there is no need to force quit GC?Yes, after removing "Maker note and comment" GC can change the EXIF date and iPhoto reads the changed date OK.BUT for some reason iPhoto still can't change those fixed files' EXIF dates permanently (inside iPhoto it apparently only stores the changes in its database, so the exported files' EXIF dates remain unchanged).I'm used to change EXIF dates in iPhoto so after some trial and error I found out another way to fix the files in GC:If I choose in GC Remove Metadata... and remove "EXIF" and "All Other APP Markers", THEN also iPhoto happily changes the EXIF dates so that they are really stored in the exported files, too.After that I might let GC to rebuild the EXIF previews and archive the images.I spent A LOT of time scanning those thousands of files so I'd like to ask if my way of fixing the issue is OK?regards,- Matti