Multiples GC crashes while editing IPTC

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
iberoguy01

Multiples GC crashes while editing IPTC

Post by iberoguy01 »

Hola Thorsten,Using GC 9.6.1 (1850)- 10.10.2. GC crashes every time I edit any of the IPTC ( keywords, copywriter, caption or  credit). The edit is taken when I reopen GC. Process is replicated every time I enter a new IPTC. Trashed my preferences with no avail. Bug?Thanks,Joseph Villalona
thorstenlemke

Re: Multiples GC crashes while editing IPTC

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,please use the latest BETA:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlThorsten Using GC 9.6.1 (1850)- 10.10.2. GC crashes every time I edit any of the IPTC ( keywords, copywriter, caption or  credit). The edit is taken when I reopen GC. Process is replicated every time I enter a new IPTC. Trashed my preferences with no avail. Bug?
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Hello I upgraded to Mavericks and used the latest GC9.I tried to open a 30 MB Jpeg and the machine locked up.I have to force quit twice...what is the problem?Hope you may assist with this.Wayne E.Tucson AZ
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

> On Mar 28, 2015, at 12:36 PM, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > I upgraded to Mavericks and used the latest GC9. > > I tried to open a 30 MB Jpeg and the machine locked up. > > I have to force quit twice... > > what is the problem? Several comments: 1- When asking about crashing problems, you need to provide information on your setup: OSX version, Amount of Memory on your system What other programs are you running at the same time What other software did you install on your system Version information fro GC9 about box 2- A good way to answer all of these questions is by using a tool developed for troubleshooting on the Apple Support Forums called: EtreCheck. http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.2 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.2 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

In regard to this sort of problem.....Is there a good app that will report the cause of a lock-up that can be helpful to the user???Ages ago I used the like on one of the earlier computer makes and it made such problems easy to quickly fix.I'd love to have similar working for me on the Mac. Problems are few, but I definitely prefer to be able to correct such things quickly with a missing element replaced or an outdated problem causing element replaced with its newest version  after an online search for the then known to be needed OS element.Mike BauersSent from my iPhone On Mar 28, 2015, at 11:36 AM, "eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac]" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Hello I upgraded to Mavericks and used the latest GC9.I tried to open a 30 MB Jpeg and the machine locked up.I have to force quit twice...what is the problem?Hope you may assist with this.Wayne E.Tucson AZ
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

Will this also report what conflicted or what failed to be found by the program of concern, that caused the 'crash' ??? Mike Bauers Sent from my iPhone > On Mar 28, 2015, at 12:07 PM, "'William H. Magill' magill@mac.com [gcmac]" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > > 2- A good way to answer all of these questions is by using a tool developed for troubleshooting on the Apple Support Forums called: > EtreCheck. http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Oh yeah MackBook 2009 2.2 Ghz system 10.9.5  4MB RAMs and running just GC9It took awhile to launch and the image was not able to be presented at all.The app refused to appear on the screen whilst running.This OS is a new install as well.Wayne E.Tucson AZ
William H. Magill

> On Mar 28, 2015, at 1:20 PM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@wi.rr.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > Will this also report what conflicted or what failed to be found by the program of concern, that caused the 'crash' ??? > > Mike Bauers > Sent from my iPhone > > > On Mar 28, 2015, at 12:07 PM, "'William H. Magill' magill@mac.com [gcmac]" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > > > > > 2- A good way to answer all of these questions is by using a tool developed for troubleshooting on the Apple Support Forums called: > > EtreCheck. http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck This is one of those - yes, no, maybe, probably - kind of things. As with all diagnostic techniques, it will simply point out things that "might" be the cause. It lists "what is different" from a stock system -- i.e. a REAL clean install. (i.e. disk wipe and re-install from CD/DVD with no third-party software installed.) In particular, it will point out all of the "cruft" that you have or do not have in your system -- stuff left over from previously install software, from upgrades, etc. Usually, those things can simply be eliminated. It will point out specific "things" that experience has shown to cause issues -- things like Virus scanners interaction with many communications problems. It will also show folks what software levels or memory problems an individual is having -- trying to run a program that needs 4 GB of memory on a 2 GB system, will work, but will be slow. etc. If a component is missing, there will not likely be any indication other than the specific crash information provided by the crashing program itself. Most contemporary software is pretty good at recognizing such missing items. On the Mac, you do not have the "driver level issue" which exists with Windows or Linux systems... i.e. you get what drivers Apple provides and that's it, you can't install "newer" drivers supplied by the vendor. T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.2 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.2 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

> On Mar 28, 2015, at 11:41:AM, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > > > Oh yeah > > MackBook 2009 2.2 Ghz system 10.9.5 4MB RAMs and running just GC9 > It took awhile to launch and the image was not able to be presented at all. > The app refused to appear on the screen whilst running. > > This OS is a new install as well. > > Wayne E. > > Tucson AZ You did restart your computer after you installed GraphicConverter, didn’t you. Robert Poland Fort Collins CO
William H. Magill

> On Mar 28, 2015, at 1:41 PM, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > Oh yeah > > > MackBook 2009 2.2 Ghz system 10.9.5 4MB RAMs and running just GC9 > It took awhile to launch and the image was not able to be presented at all. > The app refused to appear on the screen whilst running. > > This OS is a new install as well. Don't know about the crash specifically, but there are significant changes with Maverick and Yosemite when compared to Lion and Mountain Lion which do impact speed and similar things. In particular, there are significant changes to the Memory management system. Go look on Apple's site to see what they were. For Yosemite visit: http://www.apple.com/osx/ and follow the "more" links. Don't know if the old Maverick information is still easily available. There have been many comments on the Support forums about "speed to launch" and similar things. One thing which does seem to be true -- after the update, run "Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility" - "Repair disk permissions" then power-cycle your system (without allowing apps to resume - uncheck that box). Just use "Shutdown", not "sleep." T.T.F.N. William H. Magill magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com