Pentax PEF

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Austin Kinsella

Pentax PEF

Post by Austin Kinsella »

Thorsten, hi. I've been using GC 6.7.4 for what seems like a looong time on OS X 10.6.8. I've just replaced my Pentax K-5 with a Pentax K-3, and now GC won't open the .PEF files from the K-3. I've tried GC6.7.9, 7.6.2 and 8.8.3, but none of them open the K-3's PEF files. Is there any version of GC that will, without requiring an OS X upgrade? I know I can use DNG rather than PEF. __ Austin Kinsella, former Lecturer, Networks & Programming, Institute of Technology, Carlow, Ireland.
thorstenlemke

Re: Pentax PEF

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Austin,you get the best results with the current MacOS 10.10 for your PEF files. That will allow GraphicConverter to open them with 16 bit per channel.You can maybe try the 8.8.3 on your really old MacOS. But it will open the PEF files only at 8 bit per channel.I current camera does normally require a current MacOS for support of the new RAW format.Thorsten Thorsten, hi. I've been using GC 6.7.4 for what seems like a looong time on OS X 10.6.8. I've just replaced my Pentax K-5 with a Pentax K-3, and now GC won't open the .PEF files from the K-3. I've tried GC6.7.9, 7.6.2 and 8.8.3, but none of them open the K-3's PEF files. Is there any version of GC that will, without requiring an OS X upgrade? I know I can use DNG rather than PEF.
jamesk8752

Post by jamesk8752 »

Have you tried to save your RAW files in the DNG format? It should be less OS version-dependent.Regards, Jim
Austin Kinsella

Post by Austin Kinsella »

Yes, that's what I'm now doing, but … I've ALWAYS used PEF. I gather that using DNG won't hurt me, nor cause the world to stop spinning. jamesk8752@comcast.net [gcmac] wrote, on 3 Apr 2015, at 14:57: > > > Have you tried to save your RAW files in the DNG format? It should be less OS version-dependent. > > Regards, Jim > > > __ Austin Kinsella, former Lecturer, Networks & Programming, Institute of Technology, Carlow, Ireland.