Slide Show w/Find doesn't work on disk images

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
bob_leedom

Slide Show w/Find doesn't work on disk images

Post by bob_leedom »

When I select an open disk image with pictures on it, Slide Show works fine. However, Slide Show with Find doesn't work at all. No matter what's in the "Name Contains:" window, no files are found.I have disk images with thousands of images, and the only solution I have found so far is to temporarily transfer them all to the hard drive. This is tedious and shouldn't be necessary.Is there a step I"m missing?BobGC 9 v9.6.1iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)Yosemite 10.10.2
thorstenlemke

Re: Slide Show w/Find doesn't work on disk images

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Bob,many thanks. I will check it.What is the file system in the disk images. Is it a protected system?Thorsten When I select an open disk image with pictures on it, Slide Show works fine. However, Slide Show with Find doesn't work at all. No matter what's in the "Name Contains:" window, no files are found.I have disk images with thousands of images, and the only solution I have found so far is to temporarily transfer them all to the hard drive. This is tedious and shouldn't be necessary.Is there a step I"m missing?Bob
bob_leedom

Post by bob_leedom »

> What is the file system in the disk images. Is it a protected system? I guess you're asking if the disk image is encrypted. No, it is not.Here is a link to a 40 MB disk image with three .jpg files in it ("cat", "dog", and "cat dog"):https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/321 ... est.dmgYou can use this disk image as a test for Slide Show with Find.Hope this helps.Bob
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Bob,I rechecked.The find functions uses Spotlight for the search. Is that enabled for your disk image?Thorsten > What is the file system in the disk images. Is it a protected system?I guess you're asking if the disk image is encrypted. No, it is not.Here is a link to a 40 MB disk image with three .jpg files in it ("cat", "dog", and "cat dog"):https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/321 ... est.dmgYou can use this disk image as a test for Slide Show with Find.Hope this helps.Bob
bob_leedom

Post by bob_leedom »

[edited]My first answer to you (now deleted when I tried to edit it) was, "No, Spotlight is not enabled." But that was my answer only because I didn't recall ever enabling it, so I began looking for the "enable switch".After a little research, I've found that it's not a simple matter to enable Spotlight on a disk image. It appears that some Terminal commands can force Spotlight indexing to occur. I have to learn more to see how to do this.But at least I know that non-enabled Spotlight is the reason that the pictures on the disk image aren't showing up, so now I know where to attack the problem.Thanks for the quick feedback and providing this information.Best regards,Bob Leedom(GC user for 15 years or more, I think)
bob_leedom

Post by bob_leedom »

Update:Friday10 Apr 201500:26 EDTI successfully enabled Spotlight for my disk images. The solution works for both encrypted and non-encrypted images...but in either case the image has to be open, and it appears that if the image is closed and re-opened (that is, unmounted and remounted), Spotlight must be re-enabled with the same command.Note that this method does require issuing a Terminal "sudo" command; this must be done accurately and carefully, because mis-typing such a command could do undesirable things to your system. Here is a link to the Apple Support Community discussion about this topic:Indexing of encrypted disk images permanently d... : Apple Support Communities Indexing of encrypted disk images permanently d... : ... In the past, I've had no trouble forcing Spotlight to index my encrypted disk image, using the command in Terminal:   sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/Encrypted... View on discussions.apple.com Preview by Yahoo  Hope this helps others!Bob   Note that this method does require issuing a Terminal "sudo" command; this must be done accurately and carefully, because mis-typing such a command could do undesirable things to your system. Here is a link to the Apple Support Community discussion about this topic:Indexing of encrypted disk images permanently d... : Apple Support Communities Indexing of encrypted disk images permanently d... : ... In the past, I've had no trouble forcing Spotlight to index my encrypted disk image, using the command in Terminal:   sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/Encrypted... View on discussions.apple.com Preview by Yahoo  Hope this helps others!Bob