scanner Image Capture interface differences

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
markhz49

scanner Image Capture interface differences

Post by markhz49 »

Attachments :GC-CanonMX920scanner.pngGC-CanonMX880scanner.pngWhen I have my laptop connected to my office scanner (a Canon MX880 series machine) using Apple's Image Capture app, I get an interface panel like the attached image.When I'm using my upstairs MacMini attached to a Canon MX990 series scanner running Image Capture, I get a more extensive scanning interface like the second image.Both machines are running GC 9.6 build 1840.I don't know why there are those differences in the scanners' interfaces.Is there a GC setting that provides for the additional parameters?Is it a difference in the scanners that provides more options for control?Is it a difference in operating systems? (The laptop is running Mountain Lion, the Mini is running Mavericks.)
Larry Stoter

Re: scanner Image Capture interface differences [2 Attachments]

Post by Larry Stoter »

Probably a difference in the scanners as much as anything.Personally, I would strongly recommend VueScan for scanning images. More control and flexibility than Image Capture or several other scanner apps I’ve tried (HP’s own software is especially dire, in my opinion …) - I’ve been using it for a number of years. Regularly updated, works pretty much with any scanner around, developer very responsive to problems (much like Thorsten and totally unlike Apple!)Larry Stoter On 8 Apr 2015, at 17:16, markz@cstone.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   When I have my laptop connected to my office scanner (a Canon MX880 series machine) using Apple's Image Capture app, I get an interface panel like the attached image.When I'm using my upstairs MacMini attached to a Canon MX990 series scanner running Image Capture, I get a more extensive scanning interface like the second image.Both machines are running GC 9.6 build 1840.I don't know why there are those differences in the scanners' interfaces.Is there a GC setting that provides for the additional parameters?Is it a difference in the scanners that provides more options for control?Is it a difference in operating systems? (The laptop is running Mountain Lion, the Mini is running Mavericks.)
thorstenlemke

Re: scanner Image Capture interface differences

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Larry,maybe one is the generic driver and one a custom installed?Thorsten Probably a difference in the scanners as much as anything.Personally, I would strongly recommend VueScan for scanning images. More control and flexibility than Image Capture or several other scanner apps I’ve tried (HP’s own software is especially dire, in my opinion …) - I’ve been using it for a number of years. Regularly updated, works pretty much with any scanner around, developer very responsive to problems (much like Thorsten and totally unlike Apple!)Larry Stoter