how to apply shadow to vector graphics ?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Zalman Lazkowicz

how to apply shadow to vector graphics ?

Post by Zalman Lazkowicz »

Anybody knows how to apply shadow to vector graphics, something like on the attached image ?
Mike Bauers

Re: how to apply shadow to vector graphics ? [1 Attachment]

Post by Mike Bauers »

I don't know if GC can do this. I've enjoyed doing it with the Deneba [now ACDsee] Canvas program that is similar to all of the several Adobe graphic and publishing programs in the one program, on the same screen in nearly every possible format at once.Presently its a Windows only program and was once a Mac program. You can demo it for a month with full functionality if you have access to a Windows system. As soon as it gets out of Mac beta, it will again be a Mac program.In its Mac days. I used both it and GC for the power of working with and converting nearly 200 different graphic formats.I recently ran across an unbelievable discount price for Canvas and got the Windows version as I continue to wait for the Mac version to mature and be released.Some months from now I will again have both GC and Canvas-Mac on my computers in the same OS. For now I'm firing up a PC [as a budget game machine] and installing Windows OS on the Mac to be able to use Canvas again.While it might not be the solution you seek, the free month of using the program under Windows could work out for you. In its Mac-Windows days it used the same manual for both OS's and while very powerful was very easy to use. I used it for making scale model decals and graduated effect glinting metal plaques with photo-real quality. I still maintain an old Mac Tower with a scsi-connected Alps printer for decals with Canvas. I sort of lust for the arriving new Mac version.........That fine shadowing you want is exactly what I needed for replicating the lettering and heralds of the vanished local trolley/Interurban system cars. Its a snap with it. Just thumb through the manual for the effects you need and put that to use with no pain.Your shadowing can be in any solid color or a range of graduated metallics, including upgrading your graphic itself in the same effects, from very thin shadow to very wide in solid or graduated plus with several graduated transparencies. Your starter graphic can easily become quite greater with little work involved.I don't think GC does the like effects in basic shadowing, and its why I used both programs on my Mac. GC is my general image work-horse. While Canvas is my full control graphics creation program. In a  week or so I'll have both running on the same Mac with different OS's [need to get the current Fusion] ....... May I fairly soon have them in the same OS before long. Best to ya,Mike BauersMilwaukee, Wi On Apr 10, 2015, at 7:35 AM, Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:[Attachment(s) from Zalman Lazkowicz included below] Anybody knows how to apply shadow to vector graphics, something like on the attached image ?
estlerg

Re: how to apply shadow to vector graphics ?

Post by estlerg »

I don't know the number of files for which you want to do this nor your desired resolution but when I have just a few images for this sort of a task, I import the image into Microsoft PowerPoint, use PowerPoint's image tools to add the shadow, and then take a screen shot of the result. I then use GraphicConverter to make the background of the image transparent and then paste the now-shadowed image onto the background I want. If there are a lot of images for which this is required, you can build and save a simple Automator script so that the actions can be performed simply by dragging the raw images onto the Automator script icon.Admittedly, this is a less-than-optimal solution if you need high-resolution for the shadowed image.
Zalman Lazkowicz

Thanks for replies, yes, I need high resolution.I remember ACDsee, when I used Windows more than 10 yrs ago. Didn’t know though it was originally a Mac program. And I have only iMac. Will keep looking in App store. On Apr 10, 2015, at 9:34 PM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@wi.rr.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I don't know if GC can do this. I've enjoyed doing it with the Deneba [now ACDsee] Canvas program that is similar to all of the several Adobe graphic and publishing programs in the one program, on the same screen in nearly every possible format at once.Presently its a Windows only program and was once a Mac program. You can demo it for a month with full functionality if you have access to a Windows system. As soon as it gets out of Mac beta, it will again be a Mac program.In its Mac days. I used both it and GC for the power of working with and converting nearly 200 different graphic formats.I recently ran across an unbelievable discount price for Canvas and got the Windows version as I continue to wait for the Mac version to mature and be released.Some months from now I will again have both GC and Canvas-Mac on my computers in the same OS. For now I'm firing up a PC [as a budget game machine] and installing Windows OS on the Mac to be able to use Canvas again.While it might not be the solution you seek, the free month of using the program under Windows could work out for you. In its Mac-Windows days it used the same manual for both OS's and while very powerful was very easy to use. I used it for making scale model decals and graduated effect glinting metal plaques with photo-real quality. I still maintain an old Mac Tower with a scsi-connected Alps printer for decals with Canvas. I sort of lust for the arriving new Mac version.........That fine shadowing you want is exactly what I needed for replicating the lettering and heralds of the vanished local trolley/Interurban system cars. Its a snap with it. Just thumb through the manual for the effects you need and put that to use with no pain.Your shadowing can be in any solid color or a range of graduated metallics, including upgrading your graphic itself in the same effects, from very thin shadow to very wide in solid or graduated plus with several graduated transparencies. Your starter graphic can easily become quite greater with little work involved.I don't think GC does the like effects in basic shadowing, and its why I used both programs on my Mac. GC is my general image work-horse. While Canvas is my full control graphics creation program. In a  week or so I'll have both running on the same Mac with different OS's [need to get the current Fusion] ....... May I fairly soon have them in the same OS before long.Best to ya,Mike BauersMilwaukee, WiOn Apr 10, 2015, at 7:35 AM, Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:[Attachment(s) from Zalman Lazkowicz included below] Anybody knows how to apply shadow to vector graphics, something like on the attached image ?
Jeff Shapiro

Re: how to apply shadow to vector graphics ? [1 Attachment]

Post by Jeff Shapiro »

Attachments :shadow.tiffIf the vector graphics you want to use have a transparent background, then yes you can. It’s using basically the same technique that you had to use in Photoshop 4 or 5 (don’t remember exactly when the drop shadow was introduced).I did a test with a simple graphic that was in an SVG format. The steps are:Open the vector graphic in GC.Duplicate the background layer.Use the Fill tool (press the Z key) to fill all the vector graphic with black on the duplicate layer.Move the background copy under the original background layer With the background copy layer selected Use either the blur tool (press V key) orSelect Filter>Core Image Filters.In the new window select Blur > Gaussian BlurYou can use the Select tool (press the M key) to select the blurred graphic and move the new shadow around to get the right look.Use the Transparency slider (to the right of the eye icon for the layer) to adjust the darkness of the shadow.If you don’t want to go through all this, you might want to look at either iDraw or Affinity Designer. Both are fairly inexpensive vector drawing programs that are easy to use. Both are in the Apple Mac App Store.JeffFrom: "Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac]"Reply-To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Date: Friday, April 10, 2015 at 06:35To: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>Subject: [gcmac] how to apply shadow to vector graphics ? [1 Attachment]   Anybody knows how to apply shadow to vector graphics, something like on the attached image ?
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,please discuss this off topic issue outside the group.Thorsten
Zalman Lazkowicz

I understand. this is closed now. On Apr 11, 2015, at 8:10 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,please discuss this off topic issue outside the group.Thorsten
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

Thorsten,While it's not a debugging question......Isn't it the case that the method Jeff suggested, works in GC?And...... does anyone know of a general GC users list or forum where this sort of question would fit better ?from Jeff Shapiro included below] If the vector graphics you want to use have a transparent background, then yes you can. It’s using basically the same technique that you had to use in Photoshop 4 or 5 (don’t remember exactly when the drop shadow was introduced).I did a test with a simple graphic that was in an SVG format. The steps are:Open the vector graphic in GC.Duplicate the background layer.Use the Fill tool (press the Z key) to fill all the vector graphic with black on the duplicate layer.Move the background copy under the original background layer With the background copy layer selected Use either the blur tool (press V key) orSelect Filter>Core Image Filters.In the new window select Blur > Gaussian BlurYou can use the Select tool (press the M key) to select the blurred graphic and move the new shadow around to get the right look.Use the Transparency slider (to the right of the eye icon for the layer) to adjust the darkness of the shadow.Best to ya...Mike BauersMilwaukee, Wi, USA On Apr 11, 2015, at 12:10 AM, Thorsten Lemke  wrote: Hello,please discuss this off topic issue outside the group.Thorsten
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,GraphicConverter will always raster your image upon import. Because it is a bitmap app.You can create such a shadow very simple if the image has an alpha channel.Just place a copy on a new layer.Move it.Unsharp it.Change the color.Thorsten Thorsten,While it's not a debugging question......Isn't it the case that the method Jeff suggested, works in GC?And...... does anyone know of a general GC users list or forum where this sort of question would fit better ?
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

Thank you!8^) Best to ya,Mike BauersMilwaukee, Wi On Apr 11, 2015, at 2:40 PM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,GraphicConverter will always raster your image upon import. Because it is a bitmap app.You can create such a shadow very simple if the image has an alpha channel.Just place a copy on a new layer.Move it.Unsharp it.Change the color.ThorstenThorsten,While it's not a debugging question......Isn't it the case that the method Jeff suggested, works in GC?And...... does anyone know of a general GC users list or forum where this sort of question would fit better ?