Renaming files in flat view.

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Russell

Renaming files in flat view.

Post by Russell »

Hello, I like the power of your renaming tool, but I am stumped on how to rename files in multiple directories. I have a directory named SOCCER GAMES It contains any number of subdirectories named GAME01, GAME02, GAME03, etc. Each name is unique. The real name might be “Soccer game vs Franklin 14 APR 2015”, but you get the idea. Each subdirectory contains any number of files named 001, 002, 003, etc. I am trying to rename all of the files in SOCCER GAMES and all of its subdirectories, using flat view and the &parent; command. This works fine until I click on the Index-Reset on Folder Change. Either some or all the new file names appear in red. I am expecting files to be named GAME01_001, GAME01_002 … GAME03_001, GAME03_002 and so on, with the index resetting to 01 for each directory. So, what am I missing? If the &parent; looks to the directory name (which is unique) for the file name, why does it make any difference whether or not I reset the file name index for each directory? Thank you, Russell
thorstenlemke

Re: Renaming files in flat view.

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Russell,I suggest to not use the flat view in this case.Use the normal display.Select the folders and use the rename feature.Thorsten On 15.04.2015, at 02:23, Russell perrahunter@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,I like the power of your renaming tool, but I am stumped on how to rename files in multiple directories.I have a directory named SOCCER GAMESIt contains any number of subdirectories named GAME01, GAME02, GAME03, etc. Each name is unique. The real name might be “Soccer game vs Franklin 14 APR 2015”, but you get the idea.Each subdirectory contains any number of files named 001, 002, 003, etc.I am trying to rename all of the files in SOCCER GAMES and all of its subdirectories, using flat view and the &parent; command. This works fine until I click on the Index-Reset on Folder Change. Either some or all the new file names appear in red. I am expecting files to be named GAME01_001, GAME01_002 … GAME03_001, GAME03_002 and so on, with the index resetting to 01 for each directory.  So, what am I missing? If the &parent; looks to the directory name (which is unique) for the file name, why does it make any difference whether or not I reset the file name index for each directory?Thank you,Russell
Russell

Post by Russell »

Hi Thorsten, thank you for responding to my question.I’m not sure I understand your answer.  How can I rename all the files in the directory and subdirectories, all at the same time?In the normal display (the browser, correct?) I can only select one directory at a time, not multiple directories.Using flat view, I can rename all files in the directory and subdirectories (using Command-E), but only if I let GC index them sequentially, regardless of which subdirectory they are in.  If I click on the “Reset on folder change”, then some of the files are shown to have duplicate names.  This should be impossible, because each subdirectory has a unique name.  If anyone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong, I would be very grateful.Thanks,Russell On Apr 16, 2015, at 3:32 PM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Dear Russell,I suggest to not use the flat view in this case.Use the normal display.Select the folders and use the rename feature.ThorstenOn 15.04.2015, at 02:23, Russell perrahunter@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,I like the power of your renaming tool, but I am stumped on how to rename files in multiple directories.I have a directory named SOCCER GAMESIt contains any number of subdirectories named GAME01, GAME02, GAME03, etc. Each name is unique. The real name might be “Soccer game vs Franklin 14 APR 2015”, but you get the idea.Each subdirectory contains any number of files named 001, 002, 003, etc.I am trying to rename all of the files in SOCCER GAMES and all of its subdirectories, using flat view and the &parent; command. This works fine until I click on the Index-Reset on Folder Change. Either some or all the new file names appear in red. I am expecting files to be named GAME01_001, GAME01_002 … GAME03_001, GAME03_002 and so on, with the index resetting to 01 for each directory.  So, what am I missing? If the &parent; looks to the directory name (which is unique) for the file name, why does it make any difference whether or not I reset the file name index for each directory?Thank you,Russell
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,press the command key to select multiple items.Thorsten Hi Thorsten, thank you for responding to my question.I’m not sure I understand your answer.  How can I rename all the files in the directory and subdirectories, all at the same time?In the normal display (the browser, correct?) I can only select one directory at a time, not multiple directories.Using flat view, I can rename all files in the directory and subdirectories (using Command-E), but only if I let GC index them sequentially, regardless of which subdirectory they are in.  If I click on the “Reset on folder change”, then some of the files are shown to have duplicate names.  This should be impossible, because each subdirectory has a unique name.  If anyone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong, I would be very grateful.Thanks,Russell
Russell

Post by Russell »

Sorry Thorsten, pressing the command key does not allow me to select multiple directories, at least not while using GraphicConverter 9, on my MacBook Pro.  The command key woks fine in Finder to select multiple directories, but not in GC9.  Is there a setting in Preferences that needs to be changed?Thanks,Russell On Apr 20, 2015, at 1:24 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,press the command key to select multiple items.ThorstenHi Thorsten, thank you for responding to my question.I’m not sure I understand your answer.  How can I rename all the files in the directory and subdirectories, all at the same time?In the normal display (the browser, correct?) I can only select one directory at a time, not multiple directories.Using flat view, I can rename all files in the directory and subdirectories (using Command-E), but only if I let GC index them sequentially, regardless of which subdirectory they are in.  If I click on the “Reset on folder change”, then some of the files are shown to have duplicate names.  This should be impossible, because each subdirectory has a unique name.  If anyone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong, I would be very grateful.Thanks,Russell
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Russell,there is no preference for this. Just works perfectly here.Thorsten Sorry Thorsten, pressing the command key does not allow me to select multiple directories, at least not while using GraphicConverter 9, on my MacBook Pro.  The command key woks fine in Finder to select multiple directories, but not in GC9.  Is there a setting in Preferences that needs to be changed?Thanks,Russell