Geotagging

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
havema1

Re: Geotagging

Post by havema1 »

The about 2MB JPGs are on a local disk.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Matti,I rechecked it here.It took about 20 seconds for 50 files on my local disk.That is a normal speed for this metadata change.Is there any error message in the console?Thorsten The about 2MB JPGs are on a local disk._ 
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Yes, also on my setup geotagging 50 images takes about 25 seconds.The problem is with large batches with more than 200 images or so.So how long does it take to geotag 1500 images? My setup chokes with that task. After geotagging about 300 images the process slows to a crawl with only a few images per minute.My workaround was to only select & geotag only the first 200 images in the browser, hit the Delete key to move them into the Finder Trash, repeat for the next 200 images until the browser window is empty, then salvage the geotagged 1500 images from the Finder Trash.That took only about 20 minutes per 1500 images (1.5 minutes/200 images x 8 batches) while trying to do all 1500 images at once did only the first 300 images in 30 minutes until I had to cancel it.- Matti
Per A.J. Andersson

Post by Per A.J. Andersson »

Hi! Just a note. Do you by any chance have TypeIt4Me (text expander) installed in your system. Your experience replicates what I witnessed while doing batch renaming of file names using the tool A Better Finder Rename. Small batches were quick, but above 200–300 the process went from speedy to crawling. I took me extensive extension testing to find the culprit. When quitting TypeIt4Me the batch processes went unhindered. And nowadays I've replaced TypeIt4Me with the similar utility Typinator, which doesn't have this side effect. So maybe batch processes in GraphicConverter can conflict with a similar type of loaded utility. My 2 cents, /Per - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Per A.J. Andersson, Goeteborg, Sweden 2015-05-05, 18:15, skrev matti.haveri@gmail.com [gcmac]: >Yes, also on my setup geotagging 50 images takes about 25 seconds. > > >The problem is with large batches with more than 200 images or so. > > >So how long does it take to geotag 1500 images? My setup chokes >with that task. After geotagging about 300 images the process >slows to a crawl with only a few images per minute. > > >My workaround was to only select & geotag only the first 200 >images in the browser, hit the Delete key to move them into the >Finder Trash, repeat for the next 200 images until the browser >window is empty, then salvage the geotagged 1500 images from >the Finder Trash. > > >That took only about 20 minutes per 1500 images (1.5 >minutes/200 images x 8 batches) while trying to do all 1500 >images at once did only the first 300 images in 30 minutes >until I had to cancel it. > > >- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Matti,I rechecked.You can dramatically improved the speed by disabling the Map unter prefs part general/map before the function. So, the map is not updated many times during the change.Thorsten Yes, also on my setup geotagging 50 images takes about 25 seconds.The problem is with large batches with more than 200 images or so.So how long does it take to geotag 1500 images? My setup chokes with that task. After geotagging about 300 images the process slows to a crawl with only a few images per minute.My workaround was to only select & geotag only the first 200 images in the browser, hit the Delete key to move them into the Finder Trash, repeat for the next 200 images until the browser window is empty, then salvage the geotagged 1500 images from the Finder Trash.That took only about 20 minutes per 1500 images (1.5 minutes/200 images x 8 batches) while trying to do all 1500 images at once did only the first 300 images in 30 minutes until I had to cancel it.- Matti
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Thanks, that did the trick:With General > Map > Enable Maps GC geotagged 620 images out of 1500 (i.e. less than half) in 1 hour 38 minutes.With Maps OFF GC geotagged all 1500 images in just 19 minutes!Could GC automatically ignore updating the Map after the first image in a batch (so the user could verify the coordinates were correct)?- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Matti,I add that to the todo list.Thorsten Thanks, that did the trick:With General > Map > Enable Maps GC geotagged 620 images out of 1500 (i.e. less than half) in 1 hour 38 minutes.With Maps OFF GC geotagged all 1500 images in just 19 minutes!Could GC automatically ignore updating the Map after the first image in a batch (so the user could verify the coordinates were correct)?- Matti