Geotagging

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
havema1

Geotagging

Post by havema1 »

Hello,I started geotagging my scanned 10 000 slides and negatives from 1958 to 2003.I use Google maps to define the locations. I chose to use four decimals for decimal degree location data which has about 11 meter precision at the equator.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_degreesI copy the location decimal degrees to a spreadsheet from Google maps. I'm halfway there and I guess less than 200 entries should do it for me.So I now have a list like this:Berlin Apple Store 52.5034, 13.3288Great Britain London 51.5188, -0.1297Helsinki Havis Amanda 60.1676, 24.9515etcI have also begun to sort those 10 000 scanned JPGs to their own folders based on the location so I can batch geotag them in GC later.I have run some tests with GC and fed that into iPhoto and this seems to work fine.But this is quite labor-intensive and I wish GC would accept pasting Google-map-style "52.5034, 13.3288" "latitude, longitude" into its "Add or edit GPS values" field without ALWAYS splitting latitude and longitude fields, replacing "." with ",", AND defining North/South and West/East info...I can Find/Replace "." to "," with apps like TextWrangler but I wish GC could automatically handle that behind the scenes. I'd rather not tweak my system prefs because of this.And is there really any need to define North/South and West/East in the dialog box? Aren't positive latitudes north, negative latitudes south, positive longitudes east, and negative longitudes west? Google maps shows them like that.regards,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Re: Geotagging

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Matti,thanks for your suggestion.This is a but difficult to handle in the dialog.But it would be simple to support it directly via the Edit/Paste/Paste GPS command?What do you think?I can add that within the next few days.Thorsten Hello,I started geotagging my scanned 10 000 slides and negatives from 1958 to 2003.I use Google maps to define the locations. I chose to use four decimals for decimal degree location data which has about 11 meter precision at the equator.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_degreesI copy the location decimal degrees to a spreadsheet from Google maps. I'm halfway there and I guess less than 200 entries should do it for me.So I now have a list like this:Berlin Apple Store 52.5034, 13.3288Great Britain London 51.5188, -0.1297Helsinki Havis Amanda 60.1676, 24.9515etc
havema1

Post by havema1 »

> But it would be simple to support it directly via the Edit/Paste/Paste GPS command? Sounds good. Is it possible to attach a keyboard shortcut for that?BTW would it be possible to "Edit > Copy > Copy GPS for Paste" to a text editor or spreadsheet app? Currently apps like TextWrangler do not recognize the clipboard content.- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Matti,please download the latest BETA build 2011.I added it:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlThorsten > But it would be simple to support it directly via the Edit/Paste/Paste GPS command?Sounds good. Is it possible to attach a keyboard shortcut for that?BTW would it be possible to "Edit > Copy > Copy GPS for Paste" to a text editor or spreadsheet app? Currently apps like TextWrangler do not recognize the clipboard content.
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Thanks, now pasting Google maps-style locations works perfectly!"Edit > Paste > Paste GPS" is active if there is GPS text in the clipboard formatted as "52.5034, 13.3288" or "52.5034,13.3288" decimal degrees (DD).Copying decimal degrees to other applications now works too!BTW I first though that GC rounds to 5 decimals but it is GC's info-box's EXIF tab that shows decimal degrees rounded at 5 decimals.- Matti
havema1

Post by havema1 »

It seems it is best not to batch geotag too many images at once. I had to cancel geotagging a folder with 1500 images after the estimated time remaining kept on climbing to 20-30-60 minutes and more for half an hour.Small up to 100 image batches are OK. But with my setup geotagging slows to a crawl with more than 200-300 JPGs (2MB each, late 2009 4GB Mac mini, OS X 10.10.3, GraphicConverter 9.6.1 build2011beta).For example, tagging 300 JPGs takes about 10 minutes while tagging 100 JPGs takes a minute (no previous GPS data).I tried to hide GC's info box's Map and its animation and then the whole info box. But it didn't help.- Matti
havema1

Post by havema1 »

It seems GC browser is the culprit fot the slowness:I tried to geotag a 1500 image folder by selecting only 84 images from the start at once, then the next 84 images etc. The two very first batches went pretty fast but after that it took 8-16 minutes.As a workaround I then selected all previously geotagged images and hit the Delete key to move them into the Finder Trash.Then I selected a 128-image grid, geotagged them in only 1.5 minutes, hit the Delete key to move them into the Finder Trash, and repeated until the folder was empty.Then I salvaged all geotagged images from the Finder Trash.Why does GC get so slow with folders with lots of images? Does reading the accumulating location info slow down the browser?? I noticed it took many minutes when I verified all images were location tagged via the GC browser.Maybe I should disable some browser setting while doing this?- Matti
havema1

Post by havema1 »

I tried to set OFF Preferences > Browser > Thumbnails > GPS position and EXIF, but that didn't help. After about 300 images the geotagging slows to less than 10 images per minute.- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Matti,will check that.Maybe the undo support and refresh messages by the system are the problem.Are the file on a local disk or the network?Thorsten It seems GC browser is the culprit fot the slowness:I tried to geotag a 1500 image folder by selecting only 84 images from the start at once, then the next 84 images etc. The two very first batches went pretty fast but after that it took 8-16 minutes.As a workaround I then selected all previously geotagged images and hit the Delete key to move them into the Finder Trash.Then I selected a 128-image grid, geotagged them in only 1.5 minutes, hit the Delete key to move them into the Finder Trash, and repeated until the folder was empty.Then I salvaged all geotagged images from the Finder Trash.Why does GC get so slow with folders with lots of images? Does reading the accumulating location info slow down the browser?? I noticed it took many minutes when I verified all images were location tagged via the GC browser.Maybe I should disable some browser setting while doing this?- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Matti,what is the size of the JPEGs?Are the stored locally or on a network disk?Thorsten It seems it is best not to batch geotag too many images at once. I had to cancel geotagging a folder with 1500 images after the estimated time remaining kept on climbing to 20-30-60 minutes and more for half an hour.Small up to 100 image batches are OK. But with my setup geotagging slows to a crawl with more than 200-300 JPGs (2MB each, late 2009 4GB Mac mini, OS X 10.10.3, GraphicConverter 9.6.1 build2011beta).For example, tagging 300 JPGs takes about 10 minutes while tagging 100 JPGs takes a minute (no previous GPS data).I tried to hide GC's info box's Map and its animation and then the whole info box. But it didn't help.- Matti