How do I make a background transparent?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Robert Poland

How do I make a background transparent?

Post by Robert Poland »

Hi,I have a .png file that I need the background to be transparent.I see that command (Make selection transparent) but I don’r see how to select the background.Robert PolandFort Collins, CO
thorstenlemke

Re: How do I make a background transparent? [1 Attachment]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Dear Robert,please view my short tutorial movie:http://www.lemkesoft.org/help/make_transparent.mp4 I attached the result.Thorsten Hi,I have a .png file that I need the background to be transparent.I see that command (Make selection transparent) but I don’r see how to select the background.Robert PolandFort Collins, CO
Robert Poland

Re: How do I make a background transparent?

Post by Robert Poland »

Thanks Thorsten, Two more questions; 1. As you were clicking on the enclosed areas they changed from gray to white, What settings were enabled to show that way? 2. After the Make Transparent was done the view showed checkered, not white. What settings were enabled to show that way? > On Jul 14, 2015, at 12:53:PM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > Dear Robert, > > please view my short tutorial movie: > http://www.lemkesoft.org/help/make_transparent.mp4 > > I attached the result. > > Thorsten > > <hoffman_challenge_judges.png> > > >> >> >> Hi, >> >> >> I have a .png file that I need the background to be transparent. >> >> I see that command (Make selection transparent) but I don’r see how to select the background. >> >> >> Robert Poland >> Fort Collins, CO >> > Robert Poland Fort Collins, CO
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Robert,I just press the shift key during the selection to add the new selection to the existing one.You enabled the checkerboard pattern with the display of the alpha channel in the prefs part general/window content. This option is ON by default.Thorsten Thanks Thorsten,Two more questions;1. As you were clicking on the enclosed areas they changed from gray to white, What settings were enabled to show that way?2. After the Make Transparent was done the view showed checkered, not white. What settings were enabled to show that way?
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

> On Jul 14, 2015, at 11:15:PM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > > > Dear Robert, > > I just press the shift key during the selection to add the new selection to the existing one. I understand the shift key function. BUT after you clicked on the main background the enclosed areas, inside the 0 for example, is colored gray. On my machine that area is not colored. Is this a preference somewhere? > You enabled the checkerboard pattern with the display of the alpha channel in the prefs part general/window content. This option is ON by default. Found it. In the prefs part General/Display Content/Image/Alpha Channel/Display with mask. > Thorsten >> >> Thanks Thorsten, >> >> Two more questions; >> 1. As you were clicking on the enclosed areas they changed from gray to white, What settings were enabled to show that way? >> 2. After the Make Transparent was done the view showed checkered, not white. What settings were enabled to show that way? >> > > > > Robert Poland Fort Collins, CO
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Robert,the only difference can be the option “Darken unselected areas” in the prefs.Thorsten I understand the shift key function. BUT after you clicked on the main background the enclosed areas, inside the 0 for example, is colored gray. On my machine that area is not colored. Is this a preference somewhere?
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

> On Jul 15, 2015, at 5:42:AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > > > Dear Robert, > > the only difference can be the option “Darken unselected areas” in the prefs. Found it: Prefs/General/Selection/Appearance: Darken unselected area. > Thorsten >> >> I understand the shift key function. BUT after you clicked on the main background the enclosed areas, inside the 0 for example, is colored gray. On my machine that area is not colored. Is this a preference somewhere? > > > > Robert Poland Fort Collins, CO