Create animated GIF from within GC?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
cshores607

Create animated GIF from within GC?

Post by cshores607 »

I would like to be able to construct from scratch (separate images) an animated GIF.  I have searched the current Hagen manual and find a few GIF references, but no step-by-step process.  Internet searching reveals several methods, but most all refer to other apps, one being GIMP.  I had rather not have to learn my way around an unfamiliar program, especially Photoshop, while I do have CS 5.5 already in my App folder.Is doing this within GC possible? If there, I would have expected it to be found within "Convert and Modify", but maybe I'm just not recognizing it.- Jim Williams GC 9.7.1 2045OSX 10.9
Ed. Floden

Re: Create animated GIF from within GC?

Post by Ed. Floden »

> On 2015-Jul-17, at 10:51 , jwms911@comcast.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > I would like to be able to construct from scratch (separate images) an animated GIF. I have searched the current Hagen manual and find a few GIF references, but no step-by-step process. Internet searching reveals several methods, but most all refer to other apps, one being GIMP. I had rather not have to learn my way around an unfamiliar program, especially Photoshop, while I do have CS 5.5 already in my App folder. > > Is doing this within GC possible? If there, I would have expected it to be found within "Convert and Modify", but maybe I'm just not recognizing it. It’s there. Select “Destination Format: GIF”; click the Options button, check “Create Movie" -- Ed. Floden ed@techren.com
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Jim,there are two ways.1) The frames of the complete animation do already exist:- just place the frames correctly numbered into a folder- select File/Converter and Modify- select all source files in the middle- select an empty destination folder at the right- select as Function “Convert”- select as Format “GIF”- click onto options and check “Create Movie” and enter the frame delay- click onto “Go”You will get the complete GIF animation in the right destination folder2) Build the animation frame by frame- open the first image/frame- select Window/Animation- confirm the change- you can now add and edit frame by frameThorsten I would like to be able to construct from scratch (separate images) an animated GIF.  I have searched the current Hagen manual and find a few GIF references, but no step-by-step process.  Internet searching reveals several methods, but most all refer to other apps, one being GIMP.  I had rather not have to learn my way around an unfamiliar program, especially Photoshop, while I do have CS 5.5 already in my App folder.Is doing this within GC possible? If there, I would have expected it to be found within "Convert and Modify", but maybe I'm just not recognizing it.- Jim Williams
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Re: [gcmac] Create animated GIF from within GC? Thorsten, Thanks for the guidance on the GIF construction.  I have tried a simple test with just a few frames and think I have the process figured out. I have a follow-on question: If there already exists an animated GIF which I would like to modify, can I delete or add frames? I am having trouble understanding the process for copying or deleting certain frames within the GIF. The Hagen Manual (page 63) refers to a GIF Animation Pallet, but I am having trouble locating this. I am using 9.7.1 (2045). Thanks, - Jim Williams on 7/23/15, 1:56 AM,  Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac]  wrote: Dear Jim, there are two ways. 1) The frames of the complete animation do already exist: - just place the frames correctly numbered into a folder - select File/Converter and Modify - select all source files in the middle - select an empty destination folder at the right - select as Function “Convert” - select as Format “GIF” - click onto options and check “Create Movie” and enter the frame delay - click onto “Go” You will get the complete GIF animation in the right destination folder 2) Build the animation frame by frame - open the first image/frame - select Window/Animation - confirm the change - you can now add and edit frame by frame Thorsten             Posted by: Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de>        
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Jim,yes, simple open it and use the Window/Animation palette.Thorsten Thorsten,Thanks for the guidance on the GIF construction.  I have tried a simple test with just a few frames and think I have the process figured out.I have a follow-on question: If there already exists an animated GIF which I would like to modify, can I delete or add frames? I am having trouble understanding the process for copying or deleting certain frames within the GIF. The Hagen Manual (page 63) refers to a GIF Animation Pallet, but I am having trouble locating this. I am using 9.7.1 (2045).Thanks,- Jim Williams
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Re: [gcmac] Create animated GIF from within GC? Thorsten, Following the directions, GC crashes within seconds after the dialog box (Window/Animation palette) opens. Tried it 4-5 times; happens each time.  I sent a crash report. - Jim on 7/23/15, 12:28 PM,  Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac]  wrote: Dear Jim, yes, simple open it and use the Window/Animation palette. Thorsten Thorsten, Thanks for the guidance on the GIF construction.  I have tried a simple test with just a few frames and think I have the process figured out. I have a follow-on question: If there already exists an animated GIF which I would like to modify, can I delete or add frames? I am having trouble understanding the process for copying or deleting certain frames within the GIF. The Hagen Manual (page 63) refers to a GIF Animation Pallet, but I am having trouble locating this. I am using 9.7.1 (2045). Thanks, - Jim Williams      
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Jim,no crash here.Please e-mail your animation file for testing.Thorsten Thorsten,Following the directions, GC crashes within seconds after the dialog box (Window/Animation palette) opens. Tried it 4-5 times; happens each time.  I sent a crash report.- Jim
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Re: [gcmac] Create animated GIF from within GC? Hi Thorsten, I found this crash on two files, this is the smallest one.  I have tried several different files and the action the same. Twice this morning. - Jim Williams on 7/24/15, 1:09 AM,  Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac]  wrote:           Dear Jim, no crash here. Please e-mail your animation file for testing. Thorsten Thorsten, Following the directions, GC crashes within seconds after the dialog box (Window/Animation palette) opens. Tried it 4-5 times; happens each time.  I sent a crash report. - Jim      
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Jim,there is no attachment.Thorsten Hi Thorsten,I found this crash on two files, this is the smallest one.  I have tried several different files and the action the same. Twice this morning.- Jim Williams
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Attachments : Re: [gcmac] Create animated GIF from within GC? Thorsten, Ooops, I got in too big a rush. Please find one small GIF that causes a Crash with the Animation pallet. - Jim on 7/24/15, 11:35 AM,  Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac]  wrote:           Dear Jim, there is no attachment. Thorsten Hi Thorsten, I found this crash on two files, this is the smallest one.  I have tried several different files and the action the same. Twice this morning. - Jim Williams