HP 3180 Scanner

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Karl Brooks

Re: obsolete scanner

Post by Karl Brooks »

I second this opinion about Ed Hamrick. I’ve used Vuescan for 11 years. If you have a scanner, Vuescan has you covered. Period. On Apr 21, 2016, at 12:47 PM, Chris Barker images@threeshoes.biz [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I use Vuescan too, I have done for about 10 years.  Ed Hamrick must be the most dedicated software engineer in the world.
Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone »

On Apr 21, 2016, at 12:47, Chris Barker images@threeshoes.biz [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Ed Hamrick must be the most dedicated software engineer in the world.______________________________________________________________________Other than Thorsten Lemke of course.  :)--Best Regards,Chris
Gordon Alley

Post by Gordon Alley »

Another recommendation for VueScan. It has worked well for me with several generations of scanners from different vendors over many years. Hamrick updates it regularly to handle new scanners, add features, and fix problems -- if I go a week or so without using it, I can usually count on a new upgrade being available for download the next time I run it.You get free upgrades for a year with the standard license. Unlimited free upgrades with the Pro license (plus additional features). It's been many years since I paid for that Pro license, and I actually feel a bit guilty getting free upgrades all the time now, what with the effort Hamrick puts into keeping it current.You can try it for free to make sure it works with your current hardware, and Ed sometimes gives limited-time discounts when you purchase it from his website at hamrick dot com.-Gordon On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Christopher Stone listmeister@thestoneforge.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: On Apr 21, 2016, at 12:47, Chris Barker images@threeshoes.biz [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Ed Hamrick must be the most dedicated software engineer in the world.______________________________________________________________________Other than Thorsten Lemke of course.  :)--Best Regards,Chris -- ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Gordon Alley :http://facebook.com/gordonalley:http:// ... ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Rick Montgomery

Re: HP 3180 Scanner

Post by Rick Montgomery »

I created a folder in my home directory. I nmed it Scans. I can move and copy documents into it using Finder. I selected it as the "Save to:" folder in Preferences. It still says "the selected folder is not writable." GraphicConverter 9, version 9.7.5 (2100), from the App Store. Is it cool to submit screen shots here?
Rick Montgomery

Re: HP 3180 Scanner

Post by Rick Montgomery »

I just noticed, the error message appears (in large white Helvetica or Arial on a partially transparent black or gray background, not a standard Mac alert window) in front of the preview, but behind the selection handles, in the Image Capture window. I wonder if this message comes from the scanner driver and refers to a temp file it's trying to create.
Chris Barker

Post by Chris Barker »

Indeed ChrisC M I Barker : 07989 987377 : 36 Mill Street : Gamlingay On 21 Apr 2016, at 20:45, Christopher Stone listmeister@thestoneforge.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   On Apr 21, 2016, at 12:47, Chris Barker images@threeshoes.biz [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Ed Hamrick must be the most dedicated software engineer in the world.______________________________________________________________________Other than Thorsten Lemke of course.  :)--Best Regards,Chris
Sheri A. VandeRiet

Post by Sheri A. VandeRiet »

I will add my voice in support of VueScan! If there is not an award for people like Thorsten Lemke and Ed Hamrick, there should be! They are why we are loyal, long-time users! ...Sheri
Brian Jones

Post by Brian Jones »

I agree 100%. Brian On 23 Apr 2016, at 02:39, 'Sheri A. VandeRiet' SheriVan@aol.com [gcmac] wrote: > I will add my voice in support of VueScan! > > If there is not an award for people like Thorsten Lemke and Ed Hamrick, there should be! They are why we are loyal, long-time users! > > ...Sheri >
Chris Barker

Post by Chris Barker »

Hear, hear, Sheri!Chris On 23 Apr 16, at 02:39, 'Sheri A. VandeRiet' SheriVan@aol.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:If there is not an award for people like Thorsten Lemke and Ed Hamrick, there should be! They are why we are loyal, long-time users!
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

Sadly, only almost always true……..I have a scanner I really like and Vuescan can’t help me with it. It still needs the factory drivers for it and the factory has dropped it for that model.But….. I went Pro level with them and its been great with my other scanner, much better than the original maker software was. As for that other one I can’t use with Vuescan, I’m setting up an older OS version boot drive that does allow me to use that scanner and another major app that requires that older OS to function for the same abandoned reasons.I’m grateful that Mac-OS makes it easy to do so and still keep the maker abandoned hardware and software usable. Best to ya,Mike BauersMilwaukee, Wi On Apr 21, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Karl Brooks  wrote:I second this opinion about Ed Hamrick. I’ve used Vuescan for 11 years. If you have a scanner, Vuescan has you covered. Period.On Apr 21, 2016, at 12:47 PM, Chris Barker  wrote:I use Vuescan too, I have done for about 10 years.  Ed Hamrick must be the most dedicated software engineer in the world.