[Solved] Problems with multi-page pdf files

The right place to ask questions, make suggestions and complains about the forum !
elefem

[Solved] Problems with multi-page pdf files

Post by elefem »

I need to change the resolution and/or color depth and/or orientation of every page of a 150-page pdf document. I can find no way to do this for the document as a whole, so I tried going through it page-by-page, changing the resolution etc., saving, and going on to the next page. But besides being tedious, that method does not work: the changes disappear when the document is next opened, and sometimes entire pages will be missing.

Using the Convert & Modify batch procedure gives me no better results. I'm sure it would work with a file containing 150 separate pages, but apparently C&M won't open the document and process each page individually. What I am looking for at this point is a way of dis-aggregating or exploding the single 150-page file into 150 one-page files. Is there some way within GC to do this, or have I overlooked something that would make this unnecessary?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Problems with multi-page pdf files

Post by forum_adm »

Please use the function Resample PDF in Convert & Modify for this:
Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 08.17.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 08.17.jpg (251.92 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
elefem

Re: [Solved] Problems with multi-page pdf files

Post by elefem »

Please forgive my obtuseness, if that's the source of my problem, but in Convert & Modify I can find no such "Resample PDF" function. Also, just below the Function pull-down menu, I do not see a Filter box. I would suspect that I do not have the current version of GC, but it is 9.7.6 and Check Updates tells me this is current. I'm on a late 2012 Mac Mini with OS 10.13.6.
My original failure involved using the Convert function, batch file, Resolution 150x150 with resample. Maybe there is a better work-around, in the absence of a Resample PDF function?
Last edited by elefem on Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Resample PDF is available in the current GraphicConverter 11.1.3.
GraphicConverter 11 runs on 10.9 or later.

You can use the following workaround in GraphicConverter 9.
1. Split the PDF into single pages.
2. Process that pages with Convert&Modify
3. Merge them back to a single PDF.
But that will rasterize all vector data like text, too.

The current GraphicConverter 11 resample option processes only the embedded images.
elefem

Post by elefem »

Thanks for the tip— upgrading to 11 solved most of my problems. As for splitting a multi-page pdf into multiple separate pages, I still don't see a way of doing that directly in GC, but there is a work-around: convert the large pdf file to png. This disaggregates it into separate png's, which can then be batch-converted to pdf's or other formats as needed.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Splitting is really simple.
Just make a right mouse button click into the opened PDF:
Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 08.25.14.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 08.25.14.jpg (108.43 KiB) Viewed 4983 times
elefem

Post by elefem »

Thanks for all your help. I've been using GC for decades, and there's still so much I don't know about it!