Dust & Scratch Removal

The right place to speak and share about your experiences of GraphicConverter
comccoy

Dust & Scratch Removal

Post by comccoy »

I ran across this tutorial a while back:

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photog ... photoshop/

It is essentially "Blur everything to remove artifacts, undo it but keep the history recorded, then use the history brush to carefully target the dust spots and scratches and "go back in time" for those very specific spots to when they were "removed". It is particularly seamless when you set the tool to just darken or lighten depending on the content.

Is there a similar or near equal way to do this in Graphicconverter? Maybe even easier?

While I do currently have access to Photoshop, I much prefer the Graphicconverter interface and it is my long term image management/manipulation solution.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Dust & Scratch Removal

Post by forum_adm »

I do not have such a feature, yet.

Do you get good results with the suggested approach?

I can add something similar to GC.

Thorsten
comccoy

Re: Dust & Scratch Removal

Post by comccoy »

Honestly it is amazing. I have avoided automatic scratch removal for years as it always did what the initial results seem to be with Photoshop. Even iPhoto's old touch up feature usually left little blotches everywhere. This technique is vastly superior to Digital ICE, if a bit slower. Digital ICE in my Epson Perfection V600 picks up a lot of dust or you just get a too soft scan. I can zap most of the dust specs in 30 seconds using this. On some of my Dad's slides from the 1960s it works wonders, even getting scratches to look pretty good with just a swipe across it.

Using Graphicconverter I could see running multiple steps automatically to get the image to where it is ready for clicks to remove dust, then click save and next and just fly through them.