[Solved] Organization options in GraphicConverter?

The right place to speak and share about your experiences of GraphicConverter
ajmgc

[Solved] Organization options in GraphicConverter?

Post by ajmgc »

I've just returned to using GraphicConverter after a long absence (I'd used it 15-18 years ago to do batch conversations) and have found it's gained a lot of capabilities in the meantime. I'd been using Adobe Lightroom up until recently to manage my photos, but since moving to Mac OS Catalina my old version of Lightroom won't work any more and I'm not happy about Adobe's subscription model to keep using it. I'm curious what capabilities GraphicConverter has to organize photos and would like advice from those more familiar with the program.

Other programs (Lightroom, Photos, etc.) allow the creation of "albums" or "collections". So far, with GraphicConverter 11, the closest equivalent I've found is saving aliases of photos to folders. Are there other ways to create the equivalent of albums? Ideally I'd like something along the lines of Lightroom's smart albums, where you can set a number of criteria and the album will contain only those images matching all of those criteria. Is there advanced search capability or other features in GC I could use to accomplish something similar?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Andre
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Organization options in GraphicConverter?

Post by forum_adm »

Hi Andre,

GraphicConverter uses Spotlight.
So, you can search in the browser for iptc etc. and store this search like an intelligent folder.

Thorsten
ajmgc

Post by ajmgc »

Does anyone know if it's possible to be selective about which metadata fields Spotlight searches? My photo library has names added as EXIF keywords for friends and family that appear in various photos. However, as my name is also included in the copyright field of all the images I take, if I do a Spotlight search on myself it matches almost all photos because of the copyright field. I've researched Spotlight on the web, and found that while it does allow matches to be restricted to certain pre-defined kinds of metadata (e.g. "lens model") I haven't found a way to match only on EXIF keywords. Another option would be to exclude the copyright field from matches, but if that's possible I haven't yet discovered how to do it.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Keywords are stored in XMP/IPTC and not in Exif.

You can limit the search within the GraphicConverter browser:
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.37.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.37.jpg (168.34 KiB) Viewed 2346 times