[Closed] How to match colours on screen to print ?

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
ZalLazkovich

[Closed] How to match colours on screen to print ?

Post by ZalLazkovich »

Hi Thorsten,
I don't know if this question should be posted here, but anyway...
Every time I print a coloured image, the colours are less contrasty and less vibrant than on the screen. I use printer interface sliders(Canon Pixma) to increase the brightness and contrast, but it doesn't help much. I also tried to match "Canon Colours" and "Sync colours" in preferences, also doesn't do nothing.
Is it something related to calibration of the screen ? if so, is it done from within GC or unrelated to GC ? :roll:
Thanks!
Zal
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: How to match colours on screen to print ?

Post by forum_adm »

Hi Zal,

GraphicConverter uses for the display the system stored screen profile and the image embedded color profile.
This matching is enabled if this icon is on as shown here:
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 07.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 07.jpg (123.2 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
The image colors are normally in RGB color mode.

GraphicConverter transfers the image with the embedded color profile during printing to the printer driver.

The printer driver makes the separaten from RGB to CMYK colors.

Thorsten
Hagen Henke

Post by Hagen Henke »

GraphicConverter does what it has to do. What you need is a deep expertise in color management or much better an expert who comes to your house and helps you with the color management. Here is roughly what the steps are: First and foremost you need to calibrate your monitor with a special software and a meter like the X-rite DTP 94 which I use. For exact results you may need a fare better printer. The exert now will create a profile for your setting which includes ink and paper. Whenever you change paper or ink you need to create a new profile. The printer profile will change the colours so they come out in the printer as close as possible. Remember: paper reflects light, it does not shine like a monitor. Prints can never be the same effect in comparison with a monitor. A monitor mixes 3 colours of light: RGB which is red, green and blue. All at once make white light. Printers mix 4, 5 or more solid colours to get the colours on paper. All together make black or at least very dark brown which is why black is added as an ink for itself. You could ask a local printing press for an expert as all printing presses need this kind of service. Normally printing presses have an expensive ink printer for proof prints and even the expensive printers need a printer profile which normally is created by an external service. Color management / color science is a profession and it is difficult, very difficult. Basic solutions like software that prints a target with colour fields you scan with your scanner to create a profile may work, may not, as even scanners need to be calibrated. Still you would need to install the resulting profile yourself. Fine Art Printing is such a broad field there are even magazines on this topic. Don't say I did not warn you. Even with a professional on your side the results may not be as desired.
ZalLazkovich

Post by ZalLazkovich »

Thanks very much Thorsten and Hagen,
I've never paid attention to the icon to match the profile. I even didn't such thing exist. Another reason to read the manual :idea:
After I posted my question I started reading all kind of articles on this subject. Really it is a very complicated subject. The more you read, the more complicated it gets. I fiddled with color profiles, calibration in Mac, didn't see much difference, then went to Canon and installed the last drivers for my Pixma ix6850 printer. Looks like it helped a bit. Thanks a lot again Hagen and Thorsten!!!
ZalLazkovich

Post by ZalLazkovich »

One more question.
I design birthday posters and email them as a digital file to the customer. Up until now, I was sending to customers RGB files for printing.
I believe most are using commercial printing services like Staples or Walmart. And that's what I advise them to do.
Should I better send CMYK files instead :?:
If a commercial printer automatically converts RGB to CMYK, are colors/contrast also adjusted ?
Thanks!
Zal
Hagen Henke

Post by Hagen Henke »

Always use the color mode that is required by the service provider or printing press. Some services support Adobe RGB for photo prints but not for prints on cups etc. 99.99% of all printing presses printing on paper use CMYK. When I do a layout in InDesign I do the conversion to CMYK during PDF export. Strong or shiny colours become paler. This cannot fully be prevented as the CMYK color space is smaller than RGB. The loss hurts less when you convert into a profile like Fogra39 etc. This limitation becomes visible especially with strong colours like in children's jackets or a nice blue sky. To answer your question: It is not possible to convert from RGB to CMYK keeping the strong shiny colours completely.
ZalLazkovich

Post by ZalLazkovich »

Thanks Hagen,

After converting to CMYK, I obviously bumped up the colors and contrast, saved and emailed that file. Most people use Staples, Walmart or Costco to print the poster. Interesting, are their printers consider commercial printers ?