[Solved] Certain files have creation dates changed when editing metadata

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
jbreweral2or

[Solved] Certain files have creation dates changed when editing metadata

Post by jbreweral2or »

Hello,

Hopefully this question isn't duplicated anywhere; I could not find anything like it when searching.

The creation date of some of my image files is being changed when I edit metadata (e.g. adding keywords). I have the Browser>General>Original File Date: Keep after modify metadata checked (true). Generally I think these might have been files on which I previously updated the creation date manually -- either using the Date > Set file date... functionality in GC, or by using the SetFile -d command. At any rate, I would like whatever creation date I have set to be preserved when editing metadata.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Find a file in the GC browser, make note of the creation date
2. Go to Date>Set file date... and set the creation date to some other creation date, or in terminal do SetFile -d to update the creation date
3. Use the keyword window or the "Append keywords..." command to add a keyword to the file
4. Wait for the file to update

Result: the creation date has changed back to the original creation date

If I do mdls on one of these files (after manually setting the creation date, but before it gets set back), there are several date attributes:
kMDItemContentCreationDate,kMDItemFSCreationDate -- set to the creation date I set manually
kMDItemContentModificationDate, kMDItemFSContentChangeDate -- set to whatever the modification date was set to
kMDItemDateAdded -- some date more recent than creation or modification

Sorry, this has turned into a long post; really I just want to know how I might change a date and get that date to "stick" after making metadata changes.

Thanks!
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Certain files have creation dates changed when editing metadata

Post by forum_adm »

Hello,

I can't reproduce this here.

Please e-mail your saved preferences to support@lemkesoft.de

Thorsten
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Certain files have creation dates changed when editing metadata

Post by forum_adm »

Is this option checked?
Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 09.46.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 09.46.jpg (223.02 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
GraphicConverter keeps normally the original file date upon changing the metadata.

The last accessed and modification date are set by the file manager during modifying the file.

Thorsten