[Solved] Bug : Full Screen mode doesn't automatically browse previous or next picture when only one is selected

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
bgoupil

[Solved] Bug : Full Screen mode doesn't automatically browse previous or next picture when only one is selected

Post by bgoupil »

Hi,

The function I used most in GC has disappeared in GCC 11 (I am using 11.2.2 on Catalina). In earlier versions, when one file was selected in the browser and you selected menu View > Full Screen (alt-cmd-F), if you pressed the left or right arrow key, the browser would display the previous or next picture. This enabled me to browse a large collection odf pictures starting with a particular one (the one selected when I entered Full Screen). With the new version, it doesn't show the other pictures anymore but simply exits Full Screen mode.

To explain my workflow in previous GC versions : to purge photos I don't want, I go to a folder, select the first one and start Full Screen with alt-cmd-F. Then I press the right arrow key (or space key) to display the next picture, and so on.
If there is a picture I don't like, I delete it with the Backspace key and continue browsing.
If there is a picture I want to flag, or copy, or whatever, I exit the Full Screen with Esc, and do whatever I want to do with the file.
Then, to resume my browsing, I just hit alt-cmd-F and Full Screen resumes browsing where it left. I just have to press the right arrow key to continue browsing.
But with this latest version, it doesn't work anymore. I have to select all the pictures I want to browse first, which is very inconvenient in the above workflow, because you must do a very large selection until the end of the list, instead of simply pressing the Full Screen shortcut key again. And you must do that again each time you exit Full Screen to do some operation on the current picture file.
This completely defeats the browsing experience in GC.

The two alternate ways of going full screen don't work for me : the Slideshow (ctl+G) always restarts at the first picture in the folder, even if you selected a different one, and otherwise requires to perform a multi-selection like in Full Screen mode.
Ands the Quick preview (Space bar) doesn't allow deleting a picture with Backspace while in full screen, so you need to exit, delete and go back to full screen. So, close to what I want, but still not convenient as before when you have dozens and dozens of pictures to delete.

Is it a bug ? Could you bring back the previous behaviour ?
Desired behaviour : if only one picture is selected when entering Full Screen with alt-cmd-F, allow browsing previous or next picture using the left and right arrow keys.

Thank you!
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Bug : Full Screen mode doesn't automatically browse previous or next picture when only one is selected

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

the Full Screen command is designed for display of the selected image only in Full Screen.

Please use Show Selection as Slideshow for your purpose:
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 11.08.45.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 11.08.45.jpg (151.97 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Thorsten
Seagull70

Re: [Solved] Bug : Full Screen mode doesn't automatically browse previous or next picture when only one is selected

Post by Seagull70 »

I love GraphicConverter, I really do. But this I just don't understand - I have exactly the same problem and I've been using this feature in the browser (arrows to move from one picture to the next or back again in full screen mode) since about 20 years or something, and now it's suddenly gone (recently upgraded from GC9 to GC11). Maybe there's a valid reason for this, but it seems a shame to remove this functionality, even if the suggested solution above is more or less the same (although it is not available on the 'View' menu I have - I can find where it's supposed to be, but the 'show selection in slideshow' is missing; I'm using the most current version, 11.2.2 (4491)).
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] Bug : Full Screen mode doesn't automatically browse previous or next picture when only one is selected

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

the fullscreen display displays the current image in fullscreen.
Just use the slideshow command shown in the previous post as a replacement if you want to go to the next/previous items.

I had to rewrite the code for the upcoming Bug Sur.

Thorsten